Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 AM

164 posts, read 650,208 times

Advertisements

What do i do next as far a painting it . Do I get a rub on paint I don't know what to do next tks in advance oh it's going to be used in doors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Anybody Out There

Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,325 times
Hard to say. What are you trying to do with it? What did it start as? What will it be used for? What do you want it to look like?
You say paint, tho the title asked about sanding. Rubbed on usually refers to clear finishes. Need more info before any help can be given.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 AM

I brought this oak kitchen table it had a top coat of polyurethane. on it It started to come off. So I sanded it down now I want a nice light brown color

Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,325 times
Make sure you got all the old finish off. You may need to use a stripper to get all the crevasses. Then sand it to get it smooth, using the final sanding of at least 150 grit sandpaper to get it nice and smooth. Vacuum off all the dust. Then go over it again with a tack cloth to pick up ALL the dust and make sure the room you are finishing in is clean and without dust in the air. There are a lot of stains to choose from, altho the water based stains are difficult to control and can easily get blotchy. The stain/finish polyurethane finishes are also an option. I would suggest using a polyurethane finish as it is the most durable finish. (nothing lasts forever). Go over each finish coat with very fine sandpaper to get it smooth before putting on the next coat. 3 coats will probably be fine.

Another viable option is tung oil and that is rubbed on. But tung oil must be reapplied periodically.

Then there is lacquer, rubbed furniture wax, etc. Those choices will be more susceptible to water damage.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,672,075 times
Default Removing the finish

I like to use a drywall sanding screen to remove the finish. Sand paper tends to cut into the wood, especially if it is a veneer. The sanding screen will also get it very clean. It will also get it in grooves or cracks if you fold it right. Just tap the edge of the screen on the table to clear the built up dust.

Then very fine sandpaper, something greater than 150 to polish it up a bit.

I don't like painted furniture. An oil based stain or just natural with a new finish. Usually I use poly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House