Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone here has or ever owned an IKEA kitchen and if so please let me know what you think of it as for use, quality, counter tops, sinks ect and cost compared to the others out there?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Though I haven't owned/bought kitchen from Ikea- I"ll give you my perspective as a builder. I have been to the Ikea here in Atlanta on several occasions (other half likes to drag me there) and have always been impressed with the styling of their designs. But upon closer inspection and some measuring, I find that they aren't made with the best/heaviest of materials. Most carcasses (cabinet box) are made of MDF or worse. Door and drawer fronts are usually solid wood if they are a stain type finish. All others are also MDF. Some lines carry a drawer box that is made of metal with full extention rails- excellent IMO.
Overall, I'd give them about a 6 out of 10. As with anything else, the degree of use will determine the life of the product.
And, if I remember correctly- they do have a very good warranty.
IS the 78613 for Cedar Pk, TX?

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 11-29-2007 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
They're actually rated pretty highly -- I can't give you the source, but my sister-in-law looked up cabinets when she and my brother redid their kitchen. There were a couple from Lowe's rated very highly (warranty, satisfaction, function) - and then there were the Ikea. They are very easy to install (European style, easier to level and hang), and they work very well. Automatic shutting dampers (it rolls to a stop, then gently shuts) on drawers, hidden hinges..

Keep in mind, they are a lower price cabinet, and the materials reflect that. But I'd say they're one of the best if you can't afford super expensive top of the line all wood cabinets.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
But a lot of kitchen cabinet manufacturers use MDF or particle board for shelves, and carcasses. You have to get into real quality before you find better materials. I looked at them, but I don't much care for the styles.

I agree full extension metal side drawers are a nice thing.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:48 AM

506 posts, read 2,148,653 times
We have a friend who has installed IKEA cabinets in two houses and loves them. They're affordable and offer clean, modern designs. We've looked at them for our house, too, but the fit and finish don't seem very tight. I guess what I'm saying is they look good from a distance but, upon close inspection, look sort of inexpensive - which they are, of course!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:09 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Consumer Reports rates IKEA cabinets very high. I must agre though that I do not care for the style. A little too contemporary for my tastes. But then again I am from New England and like the true colonial look best. Jay

Old 11-30-2007, 08:17 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,519 times
We've had two IKEA kitchens already and were very satisfied. Some hinges had to be readjusted from time to time (once a year?), that was all.

When we're going to renovate our house in Florida, we'll most likely put in another IKEA kitchen. They are very good for their price, and I personally like their contemporary look.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
IKEA Stores | IKEA Furniture Stores | IKEA Kitchens - IKEAFANS

Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times

Cool, but that forum stinks. Looks like a really low average people post on there. Unlike on-here, there are more consumers that shop or experienced w/ anything from Ikea. That is why I asked.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 AM

575 posts, read 1,777,755 times
Disclaimer: I don't have personal experience with Ikea kitchen cabinets.

We do have a freestanding Ikea closet system in one bedroom though (originally designed as an office/bonus room, thus no closet) I'd say the quality and finish is far less than fabulous. One of those you get what you pay for kind of deals IMO.

I did have to laugh when I read a recent article about an upscale interior decorator who said one of her pet peeves is folks who buy million+ dollar homes and then put in Ikea cabinets/furninshings. She said you should always surround yourself with quality.
Ummm, OK.... she was based out of So Cal... so those million dollar home buyers would actually be middle class or even entry level buyers and by the time they somehow manage to get into that million dollar tract home, all they can afford is Ikea, if that.

Honestly though, after just having a house on the market, I would have to agree with the snooty designer to a point. It would depend on the price of the home and the overall quality/finish you are going for.

Good Luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House