Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:51 AM

3,999 posts, read 10,803,562 times

Advertisements

I would certainly not use a free estimate from a repair company as a basis for solving this problem, spend the $300 and have an Engineer look it over.

In regards to inspectors not needing a license or certification, there may still be a few states holding out on that, but in NC we have been state licensed for twenty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM

617 posts, read 933,054 times
I talked to the guy again and he said the 38k can go down because a structural engineer needs to approve their project because they are construction guys. So they always quote high. Sounds weird. He also recommended that why buy the house if there are others. So we need to get a structural engineer anyway if we were interested anyway. I'm getting another headache just writing this lol.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,461,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I talked to the guy again and he said the 38k can go down because a structural engineer needs to approve their project because they are construction guys. So they always quote high. Sounds weird. He also recommended that why buy the house if there are others. So we need to get a structural engineer anyway if we were interested anyway. I'm getting another headache just writing this lol.
So why didn't he just say, "We need to have a structural engineer look the situation over before we can give you an accurate quote/estimate."

Sounds like a fishy way to do business if you ask me.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM

617 posts, read 933,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
So why didn't he just say, "We need to have a structural engineer look the situation over before we can give you an accurate quote/estimate."

Sounds like a fishy way to do business if you ask me.

I agree and my guess to your question is they estimate high and when their recommended engineer revises it down, it seems like a good deal. 20k is better than 38k. However, perhaps it should have been lower and they are still making cash.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,461,461 times
Quote:
I agree and my guess to your question is they estimate high and when their recommended engineer revises it down, it seems like a good deal. 20k is better than 38k. However, perhaps it should have been lower and they are still making cash.
If this is the case, then it not only sounds like a fishy way to do business, it SMELLS fishy, too.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:39 PM

25,337 posts, read 16,968,932 times
Quote:
...........We can blow 500 bucks or more on a structural engineer, but will he know more than these guys?
Yes. The structural engineer will know more than everyone.

"Blow 500 bucks"? Not the way I'd look at it at all. Now is not the time to go cheap.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,331,997 times
38k is fishy. I watched Rehab Addicts where they impaled the house with beams, lifted the entire house up, demoed and rebuilt, the whole foundation for $30k.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,876,506 times
I recently got estimates for foundation work from three contractors - there were more than $25k differences in the estimates. Talk to the contractors about the work if you are really serious about moving forward and adjust the price of the home (if the market will allow that).

Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM

3,999 posts, read 10,803,562 times
The last situation I ran into with serious foundation issues, and I am involved in this a lot, was a quote for 56k from a local foundation company. A structural engineer, that is not on the staff of the foundation company, issued a directive and a licensed general contractor made all necessary repairs for about 4k.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM

8,073 posts, read 9,990,476 times
There are a lot of reasons why the higher estimate could be that high. I would question exactly what he proposes to do, but I would not simply reject it because he 'seems high'. There are many folks who think things can be done for a few hundred bucks, and thus many contractors throw out more realistic , albeit high, numbers. It could be that $20,000 will do the job, but if you are involved in tearing out old, redesigning the entire foundation, installing new, and leveling the house, the cost might easily be $50,000...or more. Architect, engineer, permits and inspections will all add to the cost for a job done correctly.

OP, unless you can get this house for $100,000 below otherwise fair market value, and are able to assume the risk of such a structural project, I would move along. There might be reasons other than poor workmanship and unstable soils (that alone should make you flee) which make this hole exercise untenable. Don't do it unless you are able to accept the consequences...which might be more than just money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House