Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:14 PM

192 posts, read 437,993 times

Advertisements

I want to put a light in the long hallway without rewire the house.
THe only thing i found is this RF remore Wall Switch with Plug-In Receiver.
http://www.amertac.com/content/products.nsf/Lighting%20Controls%20&%20Dimmers/Wireless%20RF%20Controls/RFK100/RFK100big.jpg (broken link)
it is nice but only come with one switch.

any companies make similar product with two wireless wall switchs that controls one plug-in outlet? if so, where can i find it?

guys in homedepot and lowes say no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 03:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
I want to put a light in the long hallway without rewire the house.
THe only thing i found is this RF remore Wall Switch with Plug-In Receiver.

it is nice but only come with one switch.

any companies make similar product with two wireless wall switchs that controls one plug-in outlet? if so, where can i find it?

guys in homedepot and lowes say no
The switch you are showing has three different codes, A, B, or C... If you buy two with the same code, you can put a switch at each end of the hall.
the light has to be connected to the sender that signals the switch... In other words, there is a small module which plugs into the wall, and the lamp plugs into the module. Then the remote switch controls the module..

Old 03-27-2009, 01:14 PM

192 posts, read 437,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The switch you are showing has three different codes, A, B, or C... If you buy two with the same code, you can put a switch at each end of the hall.
That is what i thought.
the guy in homedepot told me that would not work. because the units share the same code are operating on slightly diffirent frequency.

any companies actually make a unit with two switchs and one outlet?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,074,139 times
Try this......Wireless Three-Way Light Switch - Controls & Monitors

Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
That is what i thought.
the guy in homedepot told me that would not work. because the units share the same code are operating on slightly diffirent frequency.

any companies actually make a unit with two switchs and one outlet?
I bought my switches at HD. look at all their switches, they will have a little grees circle with an A,B, or C. Just get two the same.
You leared a valuable lesson, don't go by any advice you get from the HD personel..!
I have several of these switches for different things. In my last home, I had two matching switches, one upstairs, one downstairs, to turn on the hot water circulator that was mounted on the HW heater. So what you are trying to do is very do-able...

Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Hey Bones, I like it...! I'll save that site for future reference.
You must be a good guy, my dog's name is Bones...!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:38 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,379 times
I think I saw an info-mercial of these devices about a week ago :?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
I have a wireless switch in the hall that controls my attic light. The attic door has a tiny opening (fortunately) and I've noticed the attic light going on by itself regularly. I removed the switch from the wall (thinking that it might be sending turn-on signals for some reason) but the light still goes on 3-4-5-6 times a day. I had a home alarm system installed a few months ago and am wondering if the sensor that's in the hall ceiling might be turning the light on. Does anyone have any ideas on that? TIA.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:05 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
LOL. A lot of wireless stuff is based on the old X-10 transmitters and receivers. They work OK unless you have a neighbor who also has a wireless device that hits the same channel. Then you notice stuff like lights going on and off, alarms going off, doorbells ringing, etc..

You can try changing channels, but most devices give you limited options. Your other route is to run your device constantly for about a week and force your neighbor to give up on his device. Infrared devices are less prone to crosstalk.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 PM

I have a HD version of the above mentioned switch, which controls all of my computer stuff, so one switch shuts off all the computer related stuff. I recently installed a remote control ceiling fan with a light. Now every time I turn the computer on, the fan and light go on too...!
It's just a matter of changing the frequency on the can control, if I ever get that ambitious..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House