Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 03:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
My preference would be gas, but if I had to have an electric stove, I'd want induction.
I would generally agree with that sentiment. Electric resistive heating elements are just not the way to go if you want good control and better efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I'm on my second induction plate/hob. I might consider a full induction cooktop, but it would be nice to also have gas available.

What kind of All-Clad can't be used on induction? I use my All-Clad stainless--doesn't their copper line also have the stainless/copper core so it can be used on induction as well?

If I were spending thousands on a kitchen redo, I don't think a couple of thousand on new cookware would be a big deal anyway. Probably not even necessary!
Any pan made of a metal that can create an electrical current when cutting through a magnetic field will work on an induction cooktop. The problem stems from how readily the eddy currents can be created in the pan itself. The lower the magnetic permeability and the higher the conductance a metal has, the worse it will perform (e.g., copper and aluminum). The best performing pans will be inherently ferro-magnetic (e.g., steel, iron, 'magnetic' stainless, etc).

All-Clad Stainless are made of high permeability stainless steel (432 SS, I believe). Since it is a low conductance, high permeability metal, it will work well. Also, I don't think the newer All-Clad copper pans are solid copper and do contain a large amount of 432 SS as well. So, they should work. Solid copper, alas, will not unless you happen to buy an 'all metal' cooktop (which are more expensive, less efficient, and of marginal performance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 03:59 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't buy a house with an induction range; I'd have to buy all new cookware, especially my $250 pressure canner.
You wouldn't buy a house because it had an appliance you didn't like?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Any pan made of a metal that can create an electrical current when cutting through a magnetic field will work on an induction cooktop. The problem stems from how readily the eddy currents can be created in the pan itself. The lower the magnetic permeability and the higher the conductance a metal has, the worse it will perform (e.g., copper and aluminum). The best performing pans will be inherently ferro-magnetic (e.g., steel, iron, 'magnetic' stainless, etc).

All-Clad Stainless are made of high permeability stainless steel (432 SS, I believe). Since it is a low conductance, high permeability metal, it will work well. Also, I don't think the newer All-Clad copper pans are solid copper and do contain a large amount of 432 SS as well. So, they should work. Solid copper, alas, will not unless you happen to buy an 'all metal' cooktop (which are more expensive, less efficient, and of marginal performance).
The easy test for All-Clad is the magnet test. If it sticks to the bottom, it will work. Some of my All-Clad would work (and if you're getting newer, they likely all will), but a few do not. Was just a general caution. For the new All-Clad, I'm pretty sure they've gone out of their way to ensure all of their pots and pans will work on induction.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:30 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Now I'm even more confused. I'm considering a new stove, and I'd like a cook top. I was considering electric, but it seems that induction is different...

Do I have to buy new pots and pans. All of my pots now are stainless steel or cast iron. My current stove is electric... The electric cooktops are cheaper...is there a reason why other than the technology?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:41 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Now I'm even more confused. I'm considering a new stove, and I'd like a cook top. I was considering electric, but it seems that induction is different...
If you can stick a magnet to your current cookware, then you can use it with an induction cooktop.

http://theinductionsite.com/induction-cookware.shtml

Induction technology works by cooking with magnets. http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.shtml The energy source is electricity.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Thanks George. The site was helpful.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:15 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
I bought a single 'burner' induction unit and it is awesome. My house isn't plumbed for gas in the kitchen and getting a gas stove-oven unit along with the gas line work would be over$1000. I paid $50 for the unit and it's placed on top of my current electric stove -only sits about 2 inches high.

I like the instantaneous response. No more waiting for the pan to heat up and having heat on the stove for 10 min after shutting off. I know that someone with a pace-maker cannot be near an induction unit so if a house has a built-in one that may deter some people.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:51 AM

5 posts, read 3,308 times
Some tips I found (and I also didn't realize myself) on how to know if your pots or pans are induction ready.

1. Make sure the packaging says "induction ready cookware" on the packaging.
2. Bring a magnet with you to the store and stick it to the bottom of the pan. If it sticks, it's induction ready.
3. Beware of clad cookware that has a sandwich of metal layers. This would be stainless steel on the sandwich layer might produce a buzzing noise if it is not even.

Read more in-depth tips here: The 6 Best Induction Cookware Sets - Learn Before You Buy

Induction is the way to go in my opinion! It saves so much time on getting the pan hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House