Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
...It's interesting, in fact, that there is often so much apparent disagreement here on code and best practices.
Electrical codes are a bit misleading so far as the word "national" goes! (NEC or National Electrical Code.)

That is because different states will amend or modify some wording or sections of the NEC. Or a large city may have its own amendments.

Sometimes these rule changes are due to differences in local climate (very hot or very cold). Maybe digging a trench in the ground or installing a ground rod presents problems in Alaska where they have permafrost? (I don't know.)

Or maybe there is a strong local manufacturer's lobby or union which forces everything to be in conduit (more $$ for someone!).

Anyway there are differences in electrical codes in different areas. Many people assume all electrical codes are the same as what they have in their local area, but this is not the case. Something may be allowed in one place, but not allowed elsewhere.

Last edited by Billy_J; 02-05-2014 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Electrical codes are a bit misleading so far as the word "national" goes! (NEC or National Electrical Code.)

That is because different states will amend or modify some wording or sections of the NEC. Or a large city may have its own amendments.

Sometimes these rule changes are due to differences in local climate (very hot or very cold). Maybe digging a trench in the ground or installing a ground rod presents problems in Alaska where they have permafrost? (I don't know.)

Or maybe there is a strong local manufacturer's lobby or union which forces everything to be in conduit (more $$ for someone!).

Anyway there are differences in electrical codes in different areas. Many people assume all electrical codes are the same as what they have in their local area, but this is not the case. Something may be allowed in one place, but not allowed elsewhere.
The NEC has thousands of codes and the bulk of them are the same for the whole country. Yes some codes are amended by the AHJ.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
The unit in question was absolutely, 100% 240v. No option to rewire anything. 2 leads behind the tiny access panel, that's it.

As for pros and DIY, this is the internet. Somebody may in fact be a trained/licensed professional but that in no way means that they have a professional demeanor. I've also seem plenty of "pros" who had no idea what they were doing. On a board like this it isn't always easy to tell the difference. As for the dangers of electricity, I'm a chemical engineer and spent a lot of time in labs and production environments where the electrical stuff was the least troublesome. The principals of domestic wiring aren't hard if you've studied physics or electronics. But what IS hard is knowing the code and best practices. Theoretical understanding is rarely a substitute for experience, hence the value of boards like this. It's interesting, in fact, that there is often so much apparent disagreement here on code and best practices.
I don't try to figure out someones demeanor on a forum. You cant tell everything about a person by typed words unless they curse all the time.

You have seen plenty of "pros" who had no idea what they were doing? So that makes you a pro then on the topic if you are critiquing their work right? So that makes no sense if you are a pro why hire a pro if you know it all?

I'm not going to get into what is hard about electric work many DIYers that have done the simple things with electrical work think they can do it all. We hear this all the time. They fail to realize everything in the world is powered by electric not just homes.

People always assume that we just work in houses. If you can install a switch at your house cool good for you or a light fixture. When it comes to the real work no DIYer has that knowledge.

Tell me what DIYer is going to do this work...

Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I don't try to figure out someones demeanor on a forum. You cant tell everything about a person by typed words unless they curse all the time.

You have seen plenty of "pros" who had no idea what they were doing? So that makes you a pro then on the topic if you are critiquing their work right? So that makes no sense if you are a pro why hire a pro if you know it all?

I'm not going to get into what is hard about electric work many DIYers that have done the simple things with electrical work think they can do it all. We hear this all the time. They fail to realize everything in the world is powered by electric not just homes.

People always assume that we just work in houses. If you can install a switch at your house cool good for you or a light fixture. When it comes to the real work no DIYer has that knowledge.

Tell me what DIYer is going to do this work...

(No flames, no trolling, nor anything on this end).

Shemp is going to say "Hey Moe, no wonder the water don't work.... these pipes are clogged with wires" (I am sure that's some copyright infringement somewhere).

Please, this is a forum, not a site to get defensive about what people can wire (or let's go up a scale and design a power network, from raw power generation to delivery). show me how to build and dynamotor to run 400Hz.
The only difference between a 'pro' and a 'DIY-er' is just basically his education, skill, desire, and ability. The first three are basically learned, the last may be questionable as it is based on the person.(JMHO).

To answer your question, "Tell me what DIYer is going to do this work", lets go back to reality; how many DIY'ers wire that their homes like that? We just hired wire monkeys for commercial work. Though when I was told what running 3-phase into my private residence, in terms to cost... went to buy one big idler motor and did (pseudo) 3-phase myself.. To be honest, as long as I don't violate current/voltage, grounding or code issues on any circuit, nor violate phase-angle issues, life is good.

Any comments?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
(No flames, no trolling, nor anything on this end).

Shemp is going to say "Hey Moe, no wonder the water don't work.... these pipes are clogged with wires" (I am sure that's some copyright infringement somewhere).

Please, this is a forum, not a site to get defensive about what people can wire (or let's go up a scale and design a power network, from raw power generation to delivery). show me how to build and dynamotor to run 400Hz.
The only difference between a 'pro' and a 'DIY-er' is just basically his education, skill, desire, and ability. The first three are basically learned, the last may be questionable as it is based on the person.(JMHO).

To answer your question, "Tell me what DIYer is going to do this work", lets go back to reality; how many DIY'ers wire that their homes like that? We just hired wire monkeys for commercial work. Though when I was told what running 3-phase into my private residence, in terms to cost... went to buy one big idler motor and did (pseudo) 3-phase myself.. To be honest, as long as I don't violate current/voltage, grounding or code issues on any circuit, nor violate phase-angle issues, life is good.

Any comments?
Lots of people on the internet get defensive when they hear the word "professional" it's the nature of the internet. We are all "monkeys" "morons" "we do horrible work" etc.. and they know more then us it's nothing new.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Lots of people on the internet get defensive when they hear the word "professional" it's the nature of the internet. We are all "monkeys" "morons" "we do horrible work" etc.. and they know more then us it's nothing new.

No one said that electricians are 'all "monkeys" "morons" "we do horrible work'

I was a software code and hardware monkey for years. Had a picture of a chimp pounding on a keyboard over my desk. Lighten up.

By definition:"In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, occupations such as skilled construction and maintenance work are more generally thought of as trades or crafts. The completion of an apprenticeship is generally associated with skilled labor or trades such as carpenter, electrician, mason, painter, plumber and other similar occupations. A related distinction would be that a professional does mainly mental or administrative work, as opposed to engaging in physical work.

Just the messenger here.

If you can tell me when to use a delta configuration over a wye configuration, what happens when you cross polysilicon with n-diffusion, how to prevent ground loops, and why a floating-ground self-defined grounding system is vastly superior to the earth-grounding system, we can have a reasonable pleasant discussion.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
FWIW regarding the "find the receipt" issue - most large retailers can reprint a receipt if needed as long as you have the card that was used to pay for it (so they can search for the transaction using the payment data). I've done this months after a transaction, for example, when I needed proof of purchase for a warranty claim.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
I'm more concerned where he got a "Male to male" extension cord, that's a disaster waiting to happen. That is not a legal cord and certainly is not sold anywhere.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
I have come to believe that a "professional" is someone who does something for a living, getting paid for it as opposed to an amateur who does the same thing for enjoyment.

We have professional ball players and we have amateur ball players.
We have professional actors and we have amateur actors.
We have professional carpenters and we have amateur carpenters.

The professional and amateur status, IMHO, has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their skills.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I'm more concerned where he got a "Male to male" extension cord, that's a disaster waiting to happen. That is not a legal cord and certainly is not sold anywhere.
It was sold in Japan. It actually came with the transformer. They often see things differently. I did mention "bizarre" in the thread title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House