Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:39 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times

Advertisements

You are doing a great job! I LOVE the black cabinets!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I'm so impressed, not only with the materials you chose but that you did it all yourselves. Awesome job!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
We could not put in a pocket door as some have suggested because on the left wall is the shower and the right wall is a wet wall.
Thank you for explaining that, southbel. I wondered if there was any obstruction - as there usually is - that prevents it. You did a great job with this remodel. I've seen a number of diy remodel jobs over the years and I wouldn't be able to tell this was one. I really like the neutral colors. Now you can accent with any color you want for rugs, pictures, accessories. Tiling in small quarters is difficult, what with all the corners. Nice job.

Did you use the same trim for the kickboard under the vanity? I can't tell from the photos. Just curious. It looks nice with the quarter round. Quarter round covers a multitude of sins. Very nice work. So, how much do you and your hubby charge an hour? I've got a kitchen I'm ready to tackle. lol

Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thank you for explaining that, southbel. I wondered if there was any obstruction - as there usually is - that prevents it. You did a great job with this remodel. I've seen a number of diy remodel jobs over the years and I wouldn't be able to tell this was one. I really like the neutral colors. Now you can accent with any color you want for rugs, pictures, accessories. Tiling in small quarters is difficult, what with all the corners. Nice job.

Did you use the same trim for the kickboard under the vanity? I can't tell from the photos. Just curious. It looks nice with the quarter round. Quarter round covers a multitude of sins. Very nice work. So, how much do you and your hubby charge an hour? I've got a kitchen I'm ready to tackle. lol
We were actually discussing what to do under the toe kick of the vanity tonight. I think we'll likely go with a furniture base - something like this photo (maybe a little less ornate).

I'll admit, we did have a few sins to cover up too! Those edges can get a little wonky at times. We didn't thik there were a lot of corners in our bathroom until we started tiling it. Egad, it was a chore. Besides mouldings, etc, we got quite a punch list left. There's some areas that need a bit of touching up for sure. I was trying for neutral because we do intend to sell my house this year.

Both my husband and I work full time, albeit I work from home, and it's pretty hard to get all of this done. Next time, I budget for a GC and get it all done for me!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 PM

I think the colors you chose will appeal to buyers and the base will look good, too. I know what you mean about wonky. I've ruined more tile cuts, trying to get them just right. All that work and you're selling? Well, at least you can enjoy a little time with your new bathroom.

I think the most dramatic change is the cabinets. It's amazing what a different color paint will do. They seemed to get lost in the bathroom before but now they really enhance it. I especially like the light countertop, dark cabinet and light color floor. The tile size is perfect, too. Not too big, not too small. Well done!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I think the colors you chose will appeal to buyers and the base will look good, too. I know what you mean about wonky. I've ruined more tile cuts, trying to get them just right. All that work and you're selling? Well, at least you can enjoy a little time with your new bathroom.

I think the most dramatic change is the cabinets. It's amazing what a different color paint will do. They seemed to get lost in the bathroom before but now they really enhance it. I especially like the light countertop, dark cabinet and light color floor. The tile size is perfect, too. Not too big, not too small. Well done!
Yes, we're selling but I told my hubby that next time, we get ALL remodel stuff done before I move in so I can actually enjoy living in it for a while first! Thanks again for the very kind comments.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 PM

That's a good plan. Why let someone else enjoy the fruits of your labor?

And, you're welcome. Believe me, I'm fussy about things and wouldn't compliment work that wasn't worthy of praise. I'd hire you and your hubby to do work for me. lol Let me know when you get your contractor's license.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
That's a good plan. Why let someone else enjoy the fruits of your labor?

And, you're welcome. Believe me, I'm fussy about things and wouldn't compliment work that wasn't worthy of praise. I'd hire you and your hubby to do work for me. lol Let me know when you get your contractor's license.
LOL! I would go full on nutter if I did this all the time. My favorite - which people don't see here because you only see the results - is when we screw something up. The sitting and staring at it and going 'huh' while trying to figure out what to do. I think in a later post, I'll share the moment we found out there's not a flipping straight wall in this house! I'm a perfectionist too - which my husband constantly tells me that he loves about me - lol.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 PM

LOL

It's no fun being a perfectionist. I know from experience.

I'd love to be a contractor. I wish I had pursued that when I was younger. Now I'm just a diy-er who uses her house as a project in progress. I added more wiring to the garage a few weeks ago. Done to code, too. Electrical was one of my last fears. I learned to not be afraid of it but rather to respect it and it's power. We get along just fine now.

Keep posting your home projects - even the mishaps - they are fun to see.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Southbel, you and your hubby have done an amazing job. I love those black cabinets! I hope you get to enjoy the new bathroom for a LITTLE while before selling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House