Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
My trim guys would use drywall stilts for a situation like that.
Thanks - that was one idea we had. I think I'll have him try that. It's just two walls that is giving us grief because of the vanity and tub being in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
A large bucket of premixed joint compound cut with some water to make a thin mud applied with a roller over the wall and then squeezed off to a flat surface with a trowel will do wonders. The mud dries quickly thus only a small section at a time. Repeat until smooth to touch. Then paint or wallpaper. Apply a tub top to ceiling mirror over the tub to cover 60 per cent of that area. An idea.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Scaffolding is up and crown is being installed. Another ice day tomorrow so lots of work on the bathroom right now. Updates to follow.

Crown being installed...

Last edited by southbel; 02-12-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM

The hubby has largely finished installing the crown - now we're filling nail holes and touching up. Yep - that's redneck scaffolding in the reflection. Hey, you use what works! And these pictures remind me that I still haven't finished painting the shower room. At this point, I'm hoping it gets magically completed by the painting elf (aka my husband). I think the elf likes chocolate!

Anyway....

I did finish another project that I think is pretty easy but makes a huge impact. Instead of pulling down the large mirror in our bathroom, we decided to frame it instead. I love how it came out and am ultimately pleased I chose to keep the large mirror.

To frame the mirror, we chose baseboards that would work well for the look we wanted. There were so many great choices. I liked this one because I could just see it as a frame for our mirror. Then, we painted them black to match the vanity. An important note on this though. You must paint both sides of the trim. Since it will be applied directly to the mirror, you will see a slight reflection of the back of the trim. If you do not paint it to match, you'll be able to see the unfinished reflection in the mirror - not pretty!

This is a genuinely easy project - I love those! We cut everything to fit first, painted both sides, and then cleaned the heck out of the mirror. Who knew sawdust could stick to a mirror?? Anyway, we started with the bottom because - to me - it's easiest to line everything up if I get the bottom trim piece in perfectly first. To attach to the mirror, we used Loctite Mirror Adhesive. After putting it up, we did attach some tape for a day - just to be sure. Then, it was just a matter of removing the tape and all done with that project. Wish they were all that easy.

Don't you think it really makes a huge difference? I think the whole vanity has come a long way from it's original builder grade self.

Closer shot of the trim we chose -

Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
WOW that looks fabulous! GR8 job!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:01 AM

OH! I totally forgot to show you something!! I debated what to do with the toe kick area of the vanity. Would we just paint it and forget it or try to do something else? We chose something else. After some research, I decided to do a furniture base for the vanity. The trim we chose for the mirror pulled double duty as it's also the trim we used for the toe kick on the vanity. I like how it finishes the vanity off.

Just a reminder - the before....

And now with the paint, the trim around the mirror, the new knobs and pulls, and the furniture base on the vanity (and a few tools)

Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Southbel, I can't believe what a huge difference putting the frame around the mirror makes ... it looks fantastic! (The whole bathroom does, but I had mirrors like that at my old house and it never would have occurred to me to "frame" them with baseboards! Wow!)

Old 02-13-2014, 11:08 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
gorgeous! Please come to my house!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:10 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
The furniture base on the vanity is the perfect touch . Love the framed mirror too. You and your husband have taken that bathroom from blah to beautiful.

I framed the mirror in my half bath last summer. Can't wait to do the one in the master bath.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Looks great, and nice craftsmanship. You guys are just getting it all done. It seems I always have one thing I don't finish, like putty the nail heads. Will do it, but just haven't yet.

Great tip about painting both sides of the frame for the mirror. I've seen it not done and you can see the bare wood in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House