Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 PM

459 posts, read 619,958 times

Advertisements

Yes it would trip, my solar panels are wired into my panel through a 30A breaker.
My 4Kw system will produce 18A maximum in theory.
The inverters will cut off the supply if the power fails, and will not go back online for 5 minutes after they "feel" the power returned. Power companies get real twitchy about a back feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 06:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Also, if you were to hook something up like this, its much better to do it the correct way with a transfer switch. Lots of bad stuff can happen if your load is not connected correctly. as you have a huge power sink of adjacent houses to pull the power.

Power company workers can be injured or killed and if they find out its coming from your house, they will cut you real quick and you will have to do lots of work to get power back on.
The interlock mentioned previously by Chet is a cheap and safe solution, it physically prevents the main power from being on if the breaker you are backfeeding is on. This will only work for generator obviously since the solar is whole other ball game.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
To be perfectly clear, I have no plan to actually do such a thing. And if I did I'd cut the main to the power lines to keep everything "in house" so to speak.
For other people reading this, electrical systems need to be designed for *everyone* to use, not just those who understand that the electrical link to the outside needs to be shut off.

So if the "man of the house" is gone and the wife or a teenager tries to get the generator (or whatever) going, to power the house during an outage, the electrical system should have a design which will keep them from doing anything dangerous to themselves or other people. Like the lockout above or other devices which keep things safe.

Also keep in mind that no one lives forever. So also for the next people to own the home.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You can't legally connect any of this stuff without a licensed electrician and town inspection
Blake, you can do the work yourself on a single family house without an electrician, as long as you apply for a permit and have it inspected.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Blake, you can do the work yourself on a single family house without an electrician, as long as you apply for a permit and have it inspected.
I think that varies from location to location. In our area, a homeowner is allowed to do work as long as he is the legal owner of the house. There are other requirements - I think the owner of a duplex can do work, but not any larger buildings (triplex, apt, etc).

Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
When I finished a basement in PG County, MD I had to submit plans (not professionally drawn, just "correct" in scale (which I chose)). In addition, because I wanted to do the electric myself, I had to take an open-book test at a county office to prove I had a handle on the requirements; the test was as easy as one could expect.

The actual construction required a couple inspections (plus approval of the plans). The first inspection was after all the framework was done, the ductwork was finished, and the electric wired all the way but not "to" the breaker box. The inspector for the first inspection climbed a ladder and ensured the ductwork was sealed and made sure the electric was using the proper gauge wires, etc; he also "inspected" the plumbness of the framework to make sure walls wouldn't be leaning here and there. He then signed off and said I could "close up". The second/last inspection was not so much a safety inspection but was to ensure the work was done "well" for some ephemeral definition of "well"; the inspector DID go around to a lot of the outlets and test them to make sure the three-wire connections were all correct, however.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Be sure that you have a disconnect switch so if you use solar or generator you don't back feed power to the grid. You will either need a automatic switch or a manual switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House