Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I hate the ceramic glass cooktops I have one and I much prefer the old style. The glass tops are toted as being easy to clean and they are for the most part until you REALLY need to clean it. I had someting burn onto the glass and it turned into like charcoal that you couldn't get off with a sponge. I had to take a razorblade and delicately scrape it off. Then you are supposed to use special cleaners for the glass. To me it's more of a pain and it have to worry about damaging the cooktop. The old style coil burners could take a beating and you can easily remove those pans underneath and throw them in the dishwasher or hand clean them.

New technology is not always better.
The "special cleaners" are not necessary and using a razorblade is the accepted method to clean off dried on foods. My first smoothtop is almost 20 years old and still looks brand new--its in our rental property now. I've always just use soap and water to get off what I could and what I couldn't I'd let dry and scrape off with a flat razor...takes about 3 seconds and it's clean. It's not a delicate surface, they are very sturdy and a razor isn't going to hurt it. It's FAR easier than dealing with drip pans not to mention they cook way more evenly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:38 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The "special cleaners" are not necessary and using a razorblade is the accepted method to clean off dried on foods. My first smoothtop is almost 20 years old and still looks brand new--its in our rental property now. I've always just use soap and water to get off what I could and what I couldn't I'd let dry and scrape off with a flat razor...takes about 3 seconds and it's clean. It's not a delicate surface, they are very sturdy and a razor isn't going to hurt it. It's FAR easier than dealing with drip pans not to mention they cook way more evenly!
Yes like I said in my first post for the most part they are easy to clean until you get something burned on or a stain.

The glass in fact is very delicate and can be scratched. Also I heard of many stories of people accidentally dropping something and cracking the glass. Then if one element fails the whole glass top has to be replaced. I can replace an element on the old style for $20 a ceramic cook top will cost as much as the whole range an you have to pay for the install.

Old style is better for me. Easier to clean (for me)and less worries. It takes less then a minute for me to pull the elements and drip pans out of the old style range. I can also use abrasive pads to clean without worry. No special pads of cleaners like most manufactures of glass tops require.

There are other cons too. When this one fails I'm going back to the old style if they still make them.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
What were the types called with the round discs? Do they still make those?

Anyways, I usually just clean my glass cooktop with Windex Multi-Surface cleaner. For something baked on, just take a hot rag and let it sit on the spot for 10 minutes or so, it'll usually wipe right off after that.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What were the types called with the round discs? Do they still make those?

Anyways, I usually just clean my glass cooktop with Windex Multi-Surface cleaner. For something baked on, just take a hot rag and let it sit on the spot for 10 minutes or so, it'll usually wipe right off after that.
Yep they still make them because millions of people still like them.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Yes like I said in my first post for the most part they are easy to clean until you get something burned on or a stain.

The glass in fact is very delicate and can be scratched. Also I heard of many stories of people accidentally dropping something and cracking the glass. Then if one element fails the whole glass top has to be replaced. I can replace an element on the old style for $20 a ceramic cook top will cost as much as the whole range an you have to pay for the install.

Old style is better for me. Easier to clean (for me)and less worries. It takes less then a minute for me to pull the elements and drip pans out of the old style range. I can also use abrasive pads to clean without worry. No special pads of cleaners like most manufactures of glass tops require.

There are other cons too. When this one fails I'm going back to the old style if they still make them.
I disagree about the glass and yes, people have dropped cast iron pans on them and cracked them, but then again, you can do that on a coil stove too. Like I said, I have had my first flat top for almost 20 years and have a second one and neither of them have had any issues like you have said. It's even in the owner's manual to clean them with a razor.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:12 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I hear ya, golfgal!
Mine is from 1997, and the top looks brand new.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I disagree about the glass and yes, people have dropped cast iron pans on them and cracked them, but then again, you can do that on a coil stove too. Like I said, I have had my first flat top for almost 20 years and have a second one and neither of them have had any issues like you have said. It's even in the owner's manual to clean them with a razor.
I guarantee if I dropped a cast iron pan on the old style stove it would still operate. If you crack the glass it's broken completely most likely. The old style will simply have a dent or ding in the steel but it will still function. If it was dropped on a element who cares $20 and anyone can install it. Replacing a glass top needs to be done by a pro and costs many hundreds of dollars just for the glass.

Also not only pans but can goods and heavy utensils have cracked glass tops. Do a google search.

I don't have many issues myself with these glass tops it's just more to worry about and occasionally harder to clean. That's all I have to say on the subject.

p.s. Read other forums lots of people prefer the old style ranges

Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I hear ya, golfgal!
Mine is from 1997, and the top looks brand new.
Mine is from 5 months ago and is BRAND NEW nah nah nah HAH!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,813,910 times
I live in a rental, and we have a glass (ceramic?) cooktop, came with the house--it was new when we moved in 3 yrs ago.

First off, I really prefer gas---feels more natural to me somehow, and easier to control. I grew up with an old style electric stove.

Second, I've been led to believe (by my owner's manual and Google) that these things are incredibly delicate and you must take special care not to spill or burn or otherwise soil the cooking surface. And if you do, God forbid you take a scrubber or any harsh cleaning agent to it!

I've been pretty terrified of ruining the damn thing, since I don't own it. Now here you all are espousing razor blades and such. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

I've even heard that you shouldn't use a cast iron skillet on them because of the possibility of overheating and cracking the cooktop. Is this true?

Am I to understand that I can use this piece of equipment pretty much like any other stove and not be quite so paranoid? Are they really as hearty as some of you are saying?

Mine's obviously not top of the line, it's a Frigidaire, most likely from Sears. Is that a factor?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaker View Post
I want to know if it is possible to switch/replace the flat cooktop and regular coil based?

The flattop is not working for us we need to go back to electric coil type cook top.
Is it just one of the burns that isn't working or all of them? If it's just one burner, look up the model on an appliance part website. Chances are you can pick up a new electric grill part for it for under $100. They even have manual to tell you how to replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House