Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times

Advertisements

When I was a gas pumper in my "yoot" they used to use laundry detergent and a stiff broom. Probably won't get the stain up though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:33 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,848,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's a garage floor. Grease adds character. Now, the pitting in my garage floor might be too much character, but hey, they probably said the same thing to Manuel Noriega, right?
People tell me my wrinkles give me character but I'd like to get rid of them

Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When I was a gas pumper in my "yoot" they used to use laundry detergent and a stiff broom. Probably won't get the stain up though.
Yes I need to get a stiff broom or a scraper, to get the dried litter up, last night I did spray some Gease lightening I had in from home depo. It seemed to help a bit, I think it's because the patch is only a few months old I might be able to catch it in time. Thanks.

Last edited by Supplies; 02-15-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,982,727 times
Unfortunately, concrete is porous. Nothing will really get it all up. Ammonia is best at breaking up oil.but you'll still be left with a stain.

When my mechanic would accidentally track oil on to my car carpet, he'd clean it with Scrubbin Bubbles. It worked.. but nylon is not porous like concrete.

I've had my garage floors sealed. Don't really know what it is - perhaps some sort of epoxy - but spills are much easier to clean up.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,430 times
Who better to ask than someone that actually did it on a regular basis.I have been a Dealership auto mechanic for thirty years and part of the job responsibility was cleaning the bays. For one do not use Muriatic Acid unless absolutely last resort. I have tried hundreds of cleaners with false claims.The best so far has been Zep (orange powder) commercial grade garage floor degreaser. I think Advanced Auto sells it but not sure if its the same thing...ZUCD40. Think the name at the dealer was Zep Super Flash. Add water then scrub with broom,rinse. Use in a well ventilated area due to fumes... Hope this helps

Last edited by wmstoke; 02-15-2014 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Fumes

Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmstoke View Post
Who better to ask than someone that actually did it on a regular basis.I have been a Dealership auto mechanic for thirty years and part of the job responsibility was cleaning the bays. For one do not use Muriatic Acid unless absolutely last resort. I have tried hundreds of cleaners with false claims.The best so far has been Zep (orange powder) commercial grade garage floor degreaser. I think Advanced Auto sells it but not sure if its the same thing...ZUCD40. Think the name at the dealer was Zep Super Flash. Add water then scrub with broom,rinse. Use in a well ventilated area due to fumes... Hope this helps
Thank you, I'll look into that.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:25 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,569,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Is there any king of heavy duty De greaser to use to get the grease patches off my garage floor ?

Found this on the website for Home Depot. I have not tried it but it may help some: Seal-Krete 64-oz. Oil Stain Remover-141064 at The Home Depot

Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,283,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. More than a few that claim they do/will but none really do.
The only real answer is acid.

Cleaning & Etching Your Concrete - YouTube
I use acid, and scrub with laundry soap. Some will never come entirely up. Concrete in garages used to troweled smooth, and now we allow a broom finish making cleaning harder. I always cover my floor now prior to working on a car.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:01 AM

44,616 posts, read 61,553,895 times
No matter what you use there will always be some discoloration. Clean it the best you can then place a oil pan under the engine.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,569,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Is there any king of heavy duty De greaser to use to get the grease patches off my garage floor ?

Ok, here's something else I found for you to look at. Not sure what you think but I think it has possibilities. If it can clean brick on the house - why not concrete? Pressure Washing Concrete - How to Remove Stains from Concrete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House