Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Many say the cost to convert from oil to gas (as long as a gas line is out at the street) is in the ballpark of $8k. We already have gas with an older gas boiler/water heater but we're getting quotes of $8k-$10k to get new equipment in along with new circulators/pipes, etc. Why does this cost almost the same if not more? Does oil to gas conversion retain existing pipes that they just hook up to a new gas boiler? Or something else I'm not thinking of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:15 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
You will need a new exhaust venting system.
You live on Long Island.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You will need a new exhaust venting system.
You live on Long Island.
we have a new direct vent to the outside as part of our whole house renovation a couple years ago. We just didn't replace the boiler/hot water tank at the time. Any new system will hopefully use the same direct vent - contractors were quoting us with that in mind (looks like this: pic). Is this a reason why the whole thing costs more? Don't think that's the case. Half of the $8k figures to be labor. Not sure why it's pretty much the same or more than a full conversion.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Many say the cost to convert from oil to gas...
beyond the cost of the equipment that is needed anyway...
is nominal with many gas companies having bargain programs.

Is that what you heard?

Quote:
...we're getting quotes of $8k-$10k to get new equipment...
And? What does that have to do with anything related to a oil to gas conversion?

How old is your equipment?
Have you gotten a second opinion?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM

^ boiler is from 1989. We've gotten no less than 5 quotes and only 1 of them was willing to do just a straight up replacement of boiler & water heater ($5500) while everyone else wanted to replace all the pipes/circulators ($8k+) - and we now agree that's probably the best route.

I'm comparing my price against oil-to-gas conversion pricing because there is more work with a new hook-up to a gas line outside - digging, hardware, etc. yet the pricing is nearly the same???

Nobody can answer if the pipework at the boiler is re-used when people do that conversion - thus possibly saving some money, vs. us wanting new everything?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
^ boiler is from 1989.
...everyone else wanted to replace all the pipes/circulators ($8k+)
- and we now agree that's probably the best route.
Probably prudent.

Quote:
I'm comparing my price against oil-to-gas... yet the pricing is nearly the same???
Ail equipment is more expensive
B:the gas work needed isn't that much or is well subsidized

Quote:
Nobody can answer if the pipework at the boiler is re-used when people do that conversion
The pipe work running throughout the house is re-used
The manifolds and valve fittings (pipes at the boiler) and such will be replaced.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
A boiler is boiler, there is no difference between any of them in how the pipe work is configured. Generally there should be no need to replace most of the pipes or the pumps at the boiler end. Assuming you have multiple zones there is going to be one pipe leading from the boiler to a manifold, that is either going to use multiple pumps or valves to send heat to the different zones. There should be another manifold that collects the return water from the zones that has a single pipe going back to the boiler. At most you should only need to replace or reconfigure those two pipes between the boiler and the manifolds.

If it's single pump it's going to be between the boiler and the manifold, if it's old you may want to consider having it replaced but tell them you want the old one. Replacing a pump is a fairly easy DIY fix and when the new one fails you'll have it right there ready to go.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 AM

161 posts, read 297,001 times
I'm also on LI and converted back in November. It cost be about 7k before rebates. I had the line run from the street to the house ( free ), and lines run to boiler/dryer/stove. We changed the boiler, circulator/zone valves/piping in the boiler room. I left my old indirect tank as it was still working fine.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 AM

592 posts, read 1,477,742 times
Close by in New Jersey.... oil to gas, and no line to house.

So may be repeating some of this.

1) Gas line from street to house. FREE. Gas company is happy to have a new customer, cause unless we go solar they have a customer for life. Our house is about 100ft off the road and still free.
2) Duct work is 100% reusable.
3) New Boiler will go in same exact spot, so it minimizes duct work changes
4) Chimney will not be used... PVC piping out the side. We in fact will be removing the chimney.

As others said... 99% of the cost is in the boiler/Air. the only extra costs for conversion is:
- 20ft of gas pipe
- Valve
- 20ft of pvc pipe (x2) outside.

that cant be more than a couple 100 bucks.

for comparison...
We are getting new heater and air (heatpump)... dual fuel/hybrid.
its a top-of-the-line Amana system with fancy integrated thermostat. 10yr full warranty
its part of a NJ clean energy program, and includes a house air-sealing insulation component (about $2k)

The total cost is about $14500...
BUT.. with the NJ state program there is a $5000 rebate
so for $9500 we will have a super efficient new heater and air conditioner, with the added bonus of high efficiency heat pump and the air sealing insulation.
Only 1000-2000 more than your boiler only quote?

Bonus/Bonus... state offers $10,000 0% financing.
So our total cost is about $20 a week.

I share all this extra info.. one because this covers your question I think, but 2... make sure you look at any clean energy programs that NY may have cause you may have some free money or cheap financing avail

Last edited by bellmark; 02-18-2014 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: spelling/grammar

Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Many say the cost to convert from oil to gas (as long as a gas line is out at the street) is in the ballpark of $8k. We already have gas with an older gas boiler/water heater but we're getting quotes of $8k-$10k to get new equipment in along with new circulators/pipes, etc. Why does this cost almost the same if not more? Does oil to gas conversion retain existing pipes that they just hook up to a new gas boiler? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

National Grid pays for the cost of running the line from the street to the house/meter which is on the house. So if you had "new" gas, the only extra cost from what you currently have is the cost to run the line from the meter next to the house, to the boiler, which is minimal or similar to running it from where you have it, to the boiler.

Basically as long as a person isn't paying extra to run it down the street, you're basically going to be in the same ball park.

You should be able to hook up to existing pipes and be good to go. actual labor shouldn't cost too much really, 2 guys should have it done in 2 days max. If there is other work being done, obviously that will cost additional. I probably would put in a new circulator at that time if it wasn't done very recently. as far as new pipes... I'm not sure what you mean, the existing piping from the heat should be reused, unless there is something wrong with it.

I've heard as low as 5-6K and as high as 12-15K online in the LI forum. Have you tried an independent plumber, as opposed to the large Burner King type places?

are you getting the quotes in the dead of winter? that probably will play a little in to it.

I did mine as part of a second story addition and full remodel where we replaced all the plumbing (supply, waste and heat) in the house, so I don't have a good number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House