Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,733,896 times

Advertisements

I've seen a couple of different iPhone apps for housekeeping and cleaning, and was curious if anyone has ever tried and liked any of them. I'd love some recommendations.

Mainly, I'd like something to help me keep track of stuff like :

- when to change the A/C filters
- the different types of halogen/etc light bulbs I buy and which lighting fixtures they go with (fewer trips up/down the ladder when one burns out!)
- when to test smoke detector
- completely clean/empty and scrub the litter box
- clean fridge completely
- clean dryer vent

As well as give me the ability to break down my regular chores into a checklist. I find it very satisfying to cross chores and tasks off a list. Somehow it makes me feel like I've accomplished more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM

22,413 posts, read 47,402,095 times
I don't know of an app, but until you find one, maybe this can help...

A/C filters - as needed, or on the first of the month.
Light bulbs - write the fixture on the box.
Test smoke detectors weekly when you clean the area. Fire dept in my area recommends replacing the batteries when you change your clocks (spring & fall).
Litter box... IDK as I never had a cat!
Fridge - clean a shelf or two (or three) weekly, or give it a good clean before a big shopping trip.
Dryer vent should be cleaned after every load.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:50 PM

110 posts, read 608,090 times
A/C filters: Calendar or reminders app (or on the thermostat if you have a fancy digital one)
Light bulbs: notepad
Test smoke detectors: calender or reminders app (remember, truly testing them takes more than just pushing the button)
Litter box: when it smells too bad
Fridge: calendar or reminders app
Dryer vents: (are we talking the screen, or the actual ducting?) calendar app for duct cleaning, every load for screen.

I know this isn't what you're looking for. I'm sure there's one out there if you search (google or something). I use 'Gas Cubby' for my vehicles and something like this app organized for houses would be perfect for you.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I've seen a couple of different iPhone apps for housekeeping and cleaning, and was curious if anyone has ever tried and liked any of them. I'd love some recommendations.

- the different types of halogen/etc light bulbs I buy and which lighting fixtures they go with (fewer trips up/down the ladder when one burns out!)
- clean dryer vent

As well as give me the ability to break down my regular chores into a checklist. I find it very satisfying to cross chores and tasks off a list. Somehow it makes me feel like I've accomplished more.

Calendar with bigger boxes for the dates to write things to do on whatever dates you want, also helps putting debts on this calendar with due dates.

As for the list of things to get done, the easiest, quickest most cost effective thing to use is:

Pen
Paper

Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM

675 posts, read 1,694,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post

- clean dryer vent

Have you checked out FlyLady? If she doesn't have one, she can point you in the right direction: FlyLady.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House