Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the "frugal living" topic, but it was suggested that I post this in the house area instead, so here goes:

We just bought our first home a few months ago and this has been our first winter here. Our electric heating bill has been outrageous. We were thinking of getting a fireplace insert for our wood burning fireplace.

Any thoughts? Experiences good or bad? Will it actually save money on heating bills?

The inserts I've priced are a bit spendy ($2K-$4K new/installed). Is it worth it? Our current bill has been close to $400. per month. (Ouch. )

This is the first home we've lived in that has had a wood burning fireplace, and we have never had an insert - so I welcome all kind replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I would tell you to put in a gas fireplace if you have the access to natural gas. Dealing with firewood gets tiresome.

An insert would be good, a wood stove would be better.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Make sure it is a working fireplace. it may be just for decoration. If the space to be heated is large, you could end up with spending more than you had planned.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
I usually recommend a coal stove but looking over some of your other posts I see you arr in Oregon so that's not going to happen.

You should certainly save money, how much depends on your electric rates and the cost of the wood. Be forewarned wood is a lot of work.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 PM

131 posts, read 260,665 times
You could also check out pellet stoves, less physical then dealing with wood (although they do not burn as hot) with better safety features.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Due to a childhood experience that I'd rather not talk about, I'm terrified of natural gas anything. When we bought our home that was one of the requirements - no gas. Everything is electric, and the real fireplace burns real wood. Our home is on the small side - 1200 sq. ft.

For firewood, because of where we live, we can buy cords of it for fairly cheap. People are also always giving it away free on Craigslist. I just had a neighbor offer to give us a cord of it, but we already have two cords. It is also legal to collect firewood in certain areas near where we live as long as you follow the rules. This is one reason why we are leaning towards wood rather than pellets, because with wood we could have it for free if we wanted to. With pellets we would always have to buy it and pay whatever the current going rate is at the time. With gas - even if I did allow it in the house - we'd have another monthly bill to pay.

I do like wood stoves, but we don't really have a good space for one. It seems more appropriate to go ahead and use the fireplace since it is already there and ready for an insert. Right now the fireplace can also be a bit drafty, even with the damper closed, so we're thinking an insert can help with that, too.

I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who has a wood insert, and what their experience has been like. Does it keep the house warm? How much wood do you go through in one day? Does it smell nice? Is the fan/blower loud when it is running? Does any smoke get inside? What is cleanup like? Are any particular brands/makers of inserts better than others? etc...

Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
because with wood we could have it for free if we wanted to....
It's never free even if you are going to harvest it yourself. Chainsaw, splitter rental or purchase, gas, your time, emergency room bill... It's certainly cheaper than anything else especially if you don't factor in your time, I know some people don't mind it but again wood is a lot of work especially if you are going to cut it yourself.

How well you're going to heat with it depends on the BTU rating, looking at this one from Harman it says 75,000BTU:

Harman Stoves | 300i Wood Insert | Specifications

Assuming you can adequately distribute the heat in an average 2000 sq. ft. home that will take at least half the heat load. There is so many factors here it's hard to give any type concrete answer.

If your bottom line is am I going to save money and is it enough for the effort certainly if you don't mind the work.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
I have an insert in mine in a large house with 2,000 sq. ft on the first floor and another 800 sq ft upstairs. I too have an all electric house with a heat pump. When temps drop below about 40 F it is must resort to using auxilliary heat and that is very expensive.

The fireplace insert does make a difference in the living room 7 dining room area. Since I have about 8 acres in woodland my wood is also free, just have to fell the trees, cut in to rounds, split and stack. Wood - the fuel that heats you twice or three times as you do all that work.

I am planning on replacing the current insert with this one:

H2100 Wood Insert - Wood Fireplace Inserts - Regency Fireplace Products

I want glass doors so that I can enjoy the sight of the fire and this unit is one that I can cook on when the power goes out and the electric stove becomes non working. I will need to go with a new chimney liner and the total cost is going to be about $1,500 since Regency has a rebate program that runs until 2/28.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
I have 2 of the Regency inserts.
I2400 Wood Insert - Wood Fireplace Inserts - Regency Fireplace Products

"I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who has a wood insert, and what their experience has been like. Does it keep the house warm? How much wood do you go through in one day? Does it smell nice? Is the fan/blower loud when it is running? Does any smoke get inside? What is cleanup like? Are any particular brands/makers of inserts better than others? etc..."

Does it keep the house warm?
Yes, it keeps the house warm. Heating about 2200 sq/ft, running one stove will keep the furnace from running at temps of 25° and above. When I run both, the furnace won't come on at temps from about -10° and above.

How much wood do you go through in one day?
I use Rubbermaid tubs to bring the wood in. Keeps it cleaner and keeps any bugs that may be in it contained. In general, I use 2-3 tubs a day, depending on the type of wood being burned.

Does it smell nice?
They're pretty much airtight. There is no smell.

Is the fan/blower loud when it is running?
It's not bad.

Does any smoke get inside?
Only if you open the door when the wood is half-burning (some flames but smoking). When the door is closed, there's no smoke. When burning at the proper temps, you won't even see smoke coming out of the chimney.

What is cleanup like?
About once every 10-15 days, I empty most of the ashes using a metal garbage can and a stove shovel. Don't throw the ashes in as they'll plume up and put dust in the room. Set inside gently. There will be some ash dust in the area of the stove and mantle from general use.

Are any particular brands/makers of inserts better than others?
There's some good name brands. Regency, Vermont Casting and Lopi to name a few. I would recommend a quality stove from a reputable company and from a store that specializes in these products. Getting a stove from a box store isn't your best bet.

What kind of chimney do you have? It may need a liner.

What kind of wood are you going to burn?

Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Due to a childhood experience that I'd rather not talk about, I'm terrified of natural gas anything.
Get professional help. Deal with this irrational and unsupportable fear.
Then get the best choice in appliances available: natural gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House