Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPetredis View Post
My Electric furnace will not shut off. It just keeps blowing heat.
I have completely disconnected the thermostat and the furnace still keeps running.
I have to shut off the breaker for the furnace to shut off.
When switch the breaker back on, the heater will work properly for a short time and then do it again.
How long has this been happening? Did it do this two weeks ago or last season? What could be different other than a component failure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How long has this been happening?
According to the single post the OP has made...
the problem was happening last March.

hth

Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 64,650 times
thanks alot ! Ill be shure to call!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,244 times
my armstrong electic furnace want shut off unless i flip breakers in the back ..we have changed the the relay switch and the sequencer switch.and it is still doing the same thing..some times it will work right and sometimes it won't..it work wright when it is on the aircondtioner ..i'am afraid it will burn it up or burn my house down..please someone help..

Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,824 times
I have a gas furnace it blows out air no heat and it wont shut off and i just put a new digital thermostat in

Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I know this is an old topic but it bears restarting this time of year. We had this very thing happen in our home. If you start feeling hot and find the heater is still running even though it's passed the thermostat setpoint, you must go to the breaker and cut power to the unit (our home is all electric). Leave it off for a few hours and the relay may return to the off position. This will give you time until you can get a repair man over to replace the part. When it starts getting too cold, turn relay back on. It may work again for a few hours or few days. The relay itself is very cheap. Don't wait too long to get it repaired. It could stick on while you're not at home and could potentially cause a house fire.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestubbs1 View Post
I have a gas furnace it blows out air no heat and it wont shut off and i just put a new digital thermostat in
I'd check the thermostat instruction manual first. You may have set the thermostat wrong. If that's not the problem, I'd check how you wired it. You may have attached it incorrectly. If you're not certain about which wire goes where, check other thermostats if you have them or check at the furnace.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,656 times
check output voltage of the small step down transformer, converts to 24v ac for control power to sequencers and t stat, came to this revelation after replaced all but trans, tested it and was only putting out 15v ac, not enough to pull switches on sequencers

Old 11-23-2013, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
the air keeps blowing 24/7. when the house needs to heat up, it blows hot air like it should, but instead of shutting down at the end of the heat cycle, it just keeps going (blowing cool air). once upon a time it just started doing this on its own; it happened all last winter for instance.

i replaced the electronic thermostat yesterday and it worked as it should for one day. now its back! what could be wrong?
it could be a bad contactor or relay..the relay controls the air conditioner heat pump look for too long of wires or wires touching..don't run unit you will ruin the compressor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House