Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times

Advertisements

I'm with Karen, I like the sound of trains,,and feel the rumbling,,

my woman snores like a wart-hog, so i listen to music with ear plugs as i drift away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
We live about 5 or 6 miles from a train yard, and I think I can hear the sound of train engines a lot. I haven't tried to correlate it but it wouldn't surprise me if it were worse on cloudy nights, etc. We are a few hundred feet higher probably in elevation so that doesn't help. I don't hear much in the way of horns though.

What's worse is actually the very straight through road outside. Speed limit 35 but it's very straight for a ways and there are sometimes very loud cars and trucks. This is actually worse in the bedroom in the back of the house where we sleep, or at lest sometimes I think so. Why? Probably because the noise reflects off the hillside in the back yard (goes uphill from house).

Anyway, I don't have trouble sleeping because for years I have slept with the white noise of an air purifier. I find it much harder to sleep without such white noise actually. It's not for everyone I guess but I recommend trying it out. You can probably find a noise generator app for your smartphone or similar if you have one, but I haven't tried such a thing.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 AM

296 posts, read 413,594 times
I use a white noise generator. The whistle is the problem for me, and my swishing noise machine drowns it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House