Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
only get to use it one at a time for the bathroom. Honey and I sit, sip coffee, and wake up gradually every morning, and recap the day with a nice glass of wine before bedtime every nite.
Get a heart shaped one, and then two can share even though it doesn't use all that much water. You do have to be willing to play footsie, of course (extra benefit, IMO). We do the same thing as you, jacuzzi time is our chance to recap the day, have a glass of wine, and relax. But since it's indoors we feel ok doing all this naked! And then we can dry off and climb right into bed. While we relax in the tub, our bedroom becomes extra comfortable from the extra humidity. The end result is we sleep really good on the nights we use it.

The problem I have with out door hot tubs is mosquitos. And bears. Not that I've ever found a bear sitting in my hot tub but it happened to someone in my town--so it's something to think about. Once a bear discovers you have it, they say the problem is he'll be stopping by to share it with you from that time on. Apparently black bears really love a hot tub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 03:42 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Don't waste your money on a jacuzzi tub. Before I met my wife she put one in a house she owned and only used it a handful of times. The house we live in now has a Jacuzzi in the upstairs bath that we tried like twice. It does seem romantic to soak in a nice bubbly tube with candles etc.. but the reality is you will need to fill it up then it cools off quick. Another reason why she doesn't use it is the water in the pipes skeeves her out. Think about nasty water sitting in the pipes for a month or 2 in between uses. What she used to do was fill the tub, turn on the jets then empty it then refill for her soak. What a waste of hot water. We got a hottub which is a better situation and in season I will use it 2-3 times a week at a cost of about $1 a day to keep the water warm. I drain it in the Winter because it costs double.
Another deal breaker on the jacuzzi is it has a wider lip around the edge that you need to negotiate to get in to have a shower.
I like the hottub much better. it is outdoors so it is nice to stargaze while relaxing.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:57 PM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Master bath has a corner jaccuzzi tub. The cats use it to play catch:>) We use our fairly large hot tub on a daily basis winter/summer. Winter outfits - red earmuffs and wine glasses with extra long stems.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:13 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
[quote= Winter outfits - red earmuffs and wine glasses with extra long stems.[/quote]

That is awesome. I might have to try that sometime.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Supposition/Assertion:

Out of the 730 (365 x2) bathing uses most master bathrooms will have per year
easily 90% are solely about hygiene (getting clean) and done in the shower.
Of the remaining usages (up to 73?)... fewer than 50 will be the indulgent soak.

For a once per week thing the regular tub down the hall in the main bathroom is more than
adequate and that a far better use of the master bath floor area is the bigger shower.
If you're really a tub person... get a longer/deeper tub for the hall bathroom.
LOL I use the tub in the master bath every single day. Lots of people PREFER bathtubs over showers and I'm one of them. I would scratch off a house that only had a shower in the master, most likely.

That being said, I have a jacuzzi tub in our master and while I use the TUB every day, I only use the jacuzzi feature about once or twice a month. Still...that's regular usage. I do like it, but being a long, luxurious bath taker...I can be just as happy with a deep, hot bath scented with lavendar bath salts....yessssss....

"Only a shower in the master bath" makes the list of "what we DON'T want in a house:"

NAHB: What Home Buyers Really Want

The majority of home buyers prefer a FULL master bath, with both shower and bathtub:

Quote:
Home buyers strongly prefer a full master bathroom Home buyers strongly prefer a full master bathroom, complete with both bathtub and shower, along with adequate storage space for personal belongings. Getting ready for a busy day should be both pleasurable and items for cleansing routines should be well-organized and readily accessible.
Home Buyers Want Energy Efficiency & A Well Organized Home

Of course, it all boils down to neighborhood and comparable properties. But if you're in a neighborhood and style of home ( in other words, your comparable solds) in which nearly all the homes have a full master bath, then you may be hurting resale value to take the bathtub option out.

Quote:
Another reason why she doesn't use it is the water in the pipes skeeves her out. Think about nasty water sitting in the pipes for a month or 2 in between uses. What she used to do was fill the tub, turn on the jets then empty it then refill for her soak. What a waste of hot water.
I don't like to use that "stale" water either, so what I do is about once a week I really clean that bathtub, including running it to a level above the jets (cold water) and adding a little of some sort of cleaner, or better yet, vinegar and baking soda (about a cup each). Then I just run the jets for a few minutes. I do this while I'm cleaning the rest of the bathroom so it takes very little extra time or effort - I keep the cleaning supplies right beside the tub in a cabinet.

Also, my jacuzzi tub doesn't have a wide lip like you mentioned - it's very easy to step in and out of. It is not a corner model, it's more along the lines of a big, deep regular shaped bathtub.

We have a hot tub as well. My husband MUCH prefers the hot tub to the jacuzzi tub - he's a shower man and when he gets in a hot tub he wants to be out under the stars. I like the hot tub too. We're always sort of sad when it gets too hot in the evenings to use it (from about June through September here in east Texas). We drain it then and keep it dry till October.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:37 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I use the tub in the master bath every single day.
As with everything else... in this too you are the outlier.
Enjoy it.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:47 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
I have a large jacuzzi and don't use it as much as I used to but I like it. I would not recommend those tiny tubs you see on HGTV so frequently. I like the bath with epsom salts when you have sore muscles.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Yep, used that pricey jetted tub all of around five times in the last 22 years.....

Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I don't think it is a deal breaker, personally I think they are gross, too many germs lived within the jets!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Neither my wife or I used a bath tub. Its AKWAYS a shower. Quick easy done and not as wasteful water wise.

Its a great useless feature used as a selling point to indulge some fantasy candle lit 2 hr soak in a bubble bath with rose petals and soft background music. And even if you do start using it inevitably just as you get in the relaxing mood you hear. MOOOOOM Mikey took my doll and won't give it back. And reality hits you in the face like that towel you just laid on there and you think. I should of just taken a shower.

I wouldn't waste the money. You can get a bigger normal tub if you're the I gotta soak type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House