Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,834,374 times

Advertisements

There is about a 2.5ft section along one side of my driveway where the concrete is about 4 inches above the ground. It's right near the top of the driveway (near the street) where everyone pulls in. This causes a problem because if one doesn't pull in directly onto the driveway, their wheel will fall off the edge and it sounds like it could bend the car's rim or take a chunk out of the driveway.

Any ideas of what I should do to fix it?

Common sense tells me to buy a bunch of top soil, fill it in with a slight slope that blends into the rest of the yard and compact it. I would then throw down some grass seed (bermuda) and cover with hay. Does this sound right? I want to go ahead and fill it in with dirt and then plant the seeds when the weather is consistently warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 AM

8,539 posts, read 12,259,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Common sense tells me to buy a bunch of top soil, fill it in with a slight slope that blends into the rest of the yard and compact it. I would then throw down some grass seed (bermuda) and cover with hay. Does this sound right?
Sounds good enough to me...but also teach your family to drive better.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Or, just make an apron with paver bricks.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
If you just fill it with dirt it's going to disappear again... put some gravel down first. You can cover it with dirt but if this is common I'd cover with flat stone( I don't mean thin decorative flat stone), bricks etc.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,002,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you just fill it with dirt it's going to disappear again... put some gravel down first. You can cover it with dirt but if this is common I'd cover with flat stone( I don't mean thin decorative flat stone), bricks etc.
This. You need something heavy that won't wash away. Planting grass in soil that is being run over and compacted may result in dead grass that no longer holds the soil in place.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:03 PM

Ok so before reading these replies I went to Lowes and bought 7 40lb bags of top soil. $10 total. I dumped them all out but after feathering it out into the existing lawn and compacting it a little, it filled it up about 60%.

I'm thinking tomorrow I can put down some gravel and cover with more dirt.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
As long as you continue to receive rain, and the drive continues to receive cars (that can't keep all four on the concrete) you will continually keep putting dirt there. Gravel will help minimally.

Either adding more concrete to increase the width of the drive or pavers is your only "permanent" recourse.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As long as you continue to receive rain, and the drive continues to receive cars (that can't keep all four on the concrete) you will continually keep putting dirt there. Gravel will help minimally.

Either adding more concrete to increase the width of the drive or pavers is your only "permanent" recourse.
I will definitely look into that, but in the mean time maybe I can find a reflector or something that will keep people on the driveway. It's pretty wide so the only reason for getting a tire on the grass is making a sloppy/lazy turn into the driveway.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,459,056 times
You are right about the sloppy/lazy aspect of making turns. I am seeing more and more people in cars that should have no problems at all, cutting across the left turn lane as they come from my right at an intersection to proceed up the street I am on. I've even seen drivers in midsize and compact cars jump the curb making a right turn. It just seems people are in so much of a hurry now that they feel they have to start making the turn before they even get to the intersection.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,465,254 times
This will stop the premature turning into the driveway ....

And this will stop the erosion . . .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House