Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 AM

592 posts, read 1,477,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd move it 5 more inches towards the door. The comfort utilizing the appliances and such is more important.
My son and I debated this. That slider will be a key traffic area out back (although there is a lower family area with a door too) and I was worried it would be a constant jam up

Quote:
Another option is to install the flooring under the island so you can change it later.
A good idea... but the counter top will be granite, and we're going to need the bolted in support to the floor.

But actually, while I dont want to do this, we discussed that if the layout was off... we could move things over 6 inches later. Would be a weekend project to move but something i hope we don't need to do.

Quote:
If so, I don't think you'd have as much of a problem if you shifted the island to towards the slider and to left like you had it in your last layout.
The sliding more left option... we steered away from it, because it put the counter squarely in front of the entire fridge and it seemed like we "won" to having it more open in front of fridge with island shifted right. (but that goes to your suggestion of moving island to slider)

So.. we took our best guess based on all of the considerations and we HOPE that we dont have to move.

Unfortunately my wife wasnt there this morning, and becasue of the electricians timing we had to decide this morning. Hopefully I did this right. Doh!

Thanks a million for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
A good idea... but the counter top will be granite, and we're going to need the bolted in support to the floor.

But actually, while I dont want to do this, we discussed that if the layout was off... we could move things over 6 inches later. Would be a weekend project to move but something i hope we don't need to do.
If the bolt isn't in the front, the hole won't show if you're moving it 6" over the hole. If you're using tile flooring it's even better because one tile can easily be replaced if a hole shows.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
If the bolt isn't in the front, the hole won't show if you're moving it 6" over the hole. If you're using tile flooring it's even better because one tile can easily be replaced if a hole shows.
Well.... looks like we are committed to the current placement.
To make sure the wall was sturdy enough to hold the granite counter top and anything sitting or leaning on it, my son carried two of the vertical posts down through the floor and lag bolted into joists!

Seeing it set-up, so far I am still good with this placement. Do I prefer more space near the refrig, Yes! But i also dont want to make the back slider unusable. for now this seems like a good compromise.

Attached updated pic. I used the HDR feature on iPhone to get a better exposure.

The wiring in the upper left is where a small 32 TV will be placed on a swivel walls stand. Good for cooking and eating (dining room)

(We're going to move the outlet boxes up. they are too low for when countertop goes in)
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Island Distance to Cabinets-islandcontrast.png  

Last edited by bellmark; 02-27-2014 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: added comment about outlet placement

Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
It looks very nice there facing outside. I wish I had a nice view when cooking. If you're putting a vent over the range, make sure it's high enough to not block the view of the tallest person cooking.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
It looks very nice there facing outside. I wish I had a nice view when cooking. If you're putting a vent over the range, make sure it's high enough to not block the view of the tallest person cooking.
Its a cool property. We werent planning on moving, but found this 2 acres in the middle of a somewhat densely populated suburban area. I've posted all over these forums about it. Hah. blog is next. :-) Thats a pool to the right, there is a tennis court to the left and lots of woods out back. I dont even play tennis. hah

Good point on the range hood size.
We had a small scare regarding it... looks like good customer service saved it.

Zline makes a very nice and inexpensive product. 2 day delivery from Amazon.
But their presales info was lacking so I wasnt clear on all of the size specs.

We get it in and realize its only going to be 24 inches off the stovetop!
That doesnt work for a lot of reasons.

Because the of the weight of the unit to ship, and the not-so-gingerly fashion that we opened the box, I really didnt want to deal with sending back (plus I would probably have to pay shipping on the way back)

Long story short. Zline told us to go ahead an install the unit and see how it works. If its too low, they would send us a shorter hood chimey stack!

It goes up this weekend. I can almost guarantee already that we'll need it.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 AM

An update!

The cabinets and range hood are all installed.
The appliances have been delivered and are sitting in the garage for now waiting on floor install.
The wood flooring gets delivered today, and after letting it sit in the house a few days, we install it

So the only remaining thing will be the granite and I am calling them today to schedule the measurements.

So again, a huge THANK YOU to rrtechno for suggesting that we rotate the island.

Attached pic shows where we are at now.

On the left is the slider outside. the island has been rotated so the cook at the stove faces the slider and outside
This angle of pic gives a good idea of how much space we have to the slider (even with the counter added).
The space where the misses is standing is a main thruway and over 42 inches wide...

Off the right edge, next to that single row of cabinets will be the fridge.
To the fridge I beleive its 42 also, and even wider to the cabinet

We probably did have room to move a little close to the glass slider, or even move off the main wall a few inches, but I really think this is a great balance of all considerations.

We did some surgery to the range hood to get it higher. its a really nice unit but hung way too low.
I am 6ft and can see outside to the pool, although in the way of the upper trees in the distance (no biggy) and my wife has a clear shot to everything.

the cabinets are slate.
They are not as dark as the picture shows, nor are they shiny. iPhone pic.
the flooring is a natural hickory. thought being the ligher base wood is needed to lighten things up and the darker rustic grains will tie it to the darker cabinets
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Island Distance to Cabinets-kitchen.jpg  

Last edited by bellmark; 04-08-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
It's looking good. Happy to be of assistance.

Which wood species are the cabinets. From the picture it looks like Oak, but you can't always tell. I just wanted to check the actual color samples when I get to work.

Enjoy your new kitchen, and be sure to post pictures when completely done.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 AM

it's Slate on Oak. Overall its really matches up to the "slate" name, but in the larger flat center piece of wood a brown comes through.

The dishwasher and fridge are the new GE slate front. The stove was not avail, so the stainless stove will match up with the stainless range hood in the center, and the pantry and fridge will "bookend" the kitchen

Both the floor and counters will have a similar concept of lighter base with darker grain.

I will post pics...
I also do some community blogging and have been debating about a series of posts on the whole project which really is a whole house remodel.
We'll see.. I worry about giving out too much personal details in the blog!
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...rt-garage.html

Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I would have put the fridge where U302490 is, whatever it is. That way you would have the fridge, stove and sink in one area. As is , you will have to walk around to the fridge. Just my opinion. Otherwise I think you have a nice layout and I know you'll get a lot of use out of the sitting area on the island.
I second this emotion.

I like your kitchen plans overall, but if you can move the fridge it would be even better.

That being said, I think it will be tight but workable the way you have it.

I am in the process of buying a house with a tight space between the stove and the island. We are removing the island because over time I think that will bug the heck out of me. Just think about it.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Update - now that i see your new plan, I agree - it looks great turned like that.

HAPPY UPDATING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House