Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times

Advertisements

If the code says you have to have a separate circuit, it does not mean just upstairs, it also means in the basement. The basement wiring was probably not considered a micro wave, etc., would be used down there, and the wiring just cannot handle everything on the circuit when both appliances are used.

You may want to check to see if the circuit breaker is not really functioning correctly and needs replaced. This is often a problem that is overlooked. You may want to check that the wiring connections are all tight. A slightly loose connection, will cause the problem you are having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,585,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If the code says you have to have a separate circuit, it does not mean just upstairs, it also means in the basement. The basement wiring was probably not considered a micro wave, etc., would be used down there, and the wiring just cannot handle everything on the circuit when both appliances are used.

You may want to check to see if the circuit breaker is not really functioning correctly and needs replaced. This is often a problem that is overlooked. You may want to check that the wiring connections are all tight. A slightly loose connection, will cause the problem you are having.
He used a vacuum and microwave at the same time the breaker is fine and doing it's job. The circuit was definitely overloaded.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Quote:
He used a vacuum and microwave at the same time the breaker is fine and doing it's job. The circuit was definitely overloaded.
That is not necessarily correct. A circuit breaker that has started to go bad, can trip as he is experiencing. I have changed numerous circuit breakers as they started to start to kick off like his is. When tested, the circuit breaker was not able to handle the normal load on the wiring. They would handle lower loads, but not one well within the capability of the wiring. The same for ground fault protectors such as

Leviton X7599-W SmartlockPro Slim GFCI Tamper-Resistant Receptacle with LED Indicator, 15-Amp, White - Amazon.com

I have replaced 4 ground fault protectors in our home in the past 2 years. Just turning on the microwave would kick one out. Another went out with a waffle iron and a can opener. We have 3 in our kitchen alone.

The first thing I would do, is check the circuit breaker to see if it is still good. There are utube videos available to show you how to do this. If you don't have the testers, the breakers are cheap enough, just buy one and replace the old one. If it now handles the two appliances, it is a breaker problem. If not, then there are other problems. See if the wiring is aluminum instead of copper, which can be a serious problem, and the home may then need the aluminum wiring replaced with copper wiring.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
As a 30+ year Electrician the 1st thing I would do is check to see what size the breaker was. If it is a 15 Amp then it is working just fine and it was overloaded. Simple. A small upright vacuum will draw 5-8 amps, a small/medium sized Microwave will draw over 10 amps easily.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
That is not necessarily correct. A circuit breaker that has started to go bad, can trip as he is experiencing. I have changed numerous circuit breakers as they started to start to kick off like his is. When tested, the circuit breaker was not able to handle the normal load on the wiring. They would handle lower loads, but not one well within the capability of the wiring. The same for ground fault protectors such as

Leviton X7599-W SmartlockPro Slim GFCI Tamper-Resistant Receptacle with LED Indicator, 15-Amp, White - Amazon.com

I have replaced 4 ground fault protectors in our home in the past 2 years. Just turning on the microwave would kick one out. Another went out with a waffle iron and a can opener. We have 3 in our kitchen alone.

The first thing I would do, is check the circuit breaker to see if it is still good. There are utube videos available to show you how to do this. If you don't have the testers, the breakers are cheap enough, just buy one and replace the old one. If it now handles the two appliances, it is a breaker problem. If not, then there are other problems. See if the wiring is aluminum instead of copper, which can be a serious problem, and the home may then need the aluminum wiring replaced with copper wiring.
Not trying to be a wise guy but I'm a trained licensed electrician in business and most of my work is residential. Again he most likely simply overloaded the circuit. Many vacuums draw 12 amps my vacuum does and my microwave is 1250 watts so that's about 10.5 amps so your at 22.5 amps so you would overload a 15 or a 20 amp circuit it doesn't matter.

Multiple high current devices plugged into a general convenience receptacle is almost always going to trip the breaker.

Also in rare cases the vacuum could have an issue with a ground fault causing the breaker to trip.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:53 PM

302 posts, read 2,230,851 times
Quote:
You may want to check that the wiring connections are all tight. A slightly loose connection, will cause the problem you are having.
How does a loose connection cause a circuit breaker to trip?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
How does a loose connection cause a circuit breaker to trip?
A loose connection increases resistance on the circuit which creates heat and breakers trip from high heat. Also a loose connection that is arcing will trip an AFCI breaker.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram8876 View Post
Doesn't current code state to have a dedicated circuit for microwaves?
Built in microwaves only. Countertop ones plug into a SABC outlet.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bydand View Post
as a 30+ year electrician the 1st thing i would do is check to see what size the breaker was. If it is a 15 amp then it is working just fine and it was overloaded. Simple. A small upright vacuum will draw 5-8 amps, a small/medium sized microwave will draw over 10 amps easily.
lol

Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 AM

5,868 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
See if the wiring is aluminum instead of copper, which can be a serious problem, and the home may then need the aluminum wiring replaced with copper wiring.
Aluminum wiring is fine, as long as you use the correct connectors, receptacles and switches. The wires coming into any house are almost certainly aluminum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House