Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Like most things older style stuff is built better in my experiences. A steel top loading washer will outlast any of these plastic machines. They both have pros and cons but durability is what I look for, not how cute or cool it looks. It's a machine and I expect it to be built like one.
There's maybe an argument that something spinning faster might break faster, but, generally, I think that "old stuff is better" is just based on our memories and our observations of what sticks around while we forget about what ended up in the dump.

An example: My mom still has one of the TVs I grew up with. Wow, that Sony's had 25 years of daily use! They don't make 'em like that anymore! (Except that about 4 other TVs we had in other rooms have broken irreparably since then. Oh, also, the Sony needed an expensive repair a few years in, which, at the time, was justified because it was an expensive TV. But as appliances get cheaper, fewer repairs are justified and appliance turnover is higher.

In any case, reliability isn't a great argument for keeping an old when considering items like refrigerators and washing machines, where operating cost over time represent a large portion of the total cost of ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Front Loader Fan Here

Why front loaders are better.

Let's compare

Kenmore Elite 5.2 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer w/ Steam & Accela-Wash - Metallic Gray ENERGY STAR, Model #31623

Water Factor - 3.48 (The lower the value, the more water efficient the clothes washer is.)
Max Spin Speed - 1000 rpm (Higher is better as more water is removed by the washer instead of the dryer.)
List Price - $900 (Lower is better)
Kilowatt Hrs. per Year - 766 (Lower is better)

vs

Kenmore Elit e 4.0 cu. ft. Steam Front-Load Washer - Metallic Silver ENERGY STAR, Model # 41473

Water Factor - 3.3
Max Spin Speed - 1200 rpm
List Price - $1100
Kilowatt Hrs. per Year - 116 (650 KWh per year = $65/yr.)

Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM

90 posts, read 123,731 times
My repairman said front-loading washers are the majority of his business.
"Don't buy one under any conditions!"

BTW, forward ≠ foreword ... totally different meanings

Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Wow not my experience at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
My repairman said front-loading washers are the majority of his business.
"Don't buy one under any conditions!"

BTW, forward ≠ foreword ... totally different meanings
Only time we needed a repair visit was when a "house guest" tried to do a favor and put a bath rug into the wash machine. The rug was already unravelling and a few yards of yard got sucked into the pump. Called the repair guy out. Independant guy that I have know for years. He took apart the pump and used forceps to get all the yarn out.

I asked him what his opinion of Fridigaire front loaders was and he stated with out hesitation "top notch build quality, great energy savings, very infrequent need for repair". In fact he recommends them to customers that have had issues with "fancier" imported brands...

Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
There's maybe an argument that something spinning faster might break faster, but, generally, I think that "old stuff is better" is just based on our memories and our observations of what sticks around while we forget about what ended up in the dump.

An example: My mom still has one of the TVs I grew up with. Wow, that Sony's had 25 years of daily use! They don't make 'em like that anymore! (Except that about 4 other TVs we had in other rooms have broken irreparably since then. Oh, also, the Sony needed an expensive repair a few years in, which, at the time, was justified because it was an expensive TV. But as appliances get cheaper, fewer repairs are justified and appliance turnover is higher.

In any case, reliability isn't a great argument for keeping an old when considering items like refrigerators and washing machines, where operating cost over time represent a large portion of the total cost of ownership.
My thoughts exactly. Attrition takes care of the poorly made stuff quickly so you see the bad new stuff dying out because the lousy old stuff failed ages ago. As much as I like my 45 year old truck, from reading a CR review between Ford/Dodge/International/Chevrolet the initial quality is nowhere near today's standard. Defects were a windshield distorted badly enough to require replacement, a cracked brake drum, wipers that failed after a few weeks... pretty basic stuff.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post

Old stuff is better to me based on my experiences not memories. Operating costs may be slightly higher for older stuff but I'll take that because things last longer. New stuff has lowering operating costs to run but longevity of reliability is not there in lots of cases.

And I don't have any flat screens in my house all tube tv's and they work fine. Why should I run out and buy flat screen tvs just because they sell them? I have 2 JVCs a Samsung and a Sony they all work perfectly fine for me. I bet all my TVs last another 5 years easy.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
I have a top load washer/top load dryer. Thank you Mr. Salesman, who highly recommended them, a brand I never even heard of before, over the top loaders I went in to buy! I LOVE them!

I never have to wipe them out nor leave the door open because they don't have that rubber door seal that will mold if you don't.

I don't have to deal with "lint" screens and worry about them breaking because honestly, sometimes they are hard as heck to slid back in. My dryer has a plastic container that catches any lint left behind by the washer. I seldom have to empty it because the washer has a lint function on the bottom that I couldn't get with the front loader. I always had to brush lint off of my clothes in the front load dryer.

I do animal rescue so I wash a lot of "pet" stuff and no matter what, the fur, not to mention the occasional sock or other small item, always ended up on the front loaders door or in the rubber seal.

I can also wash/dry my big comforters and dog beds in my machines. I couldn't do that in the front loader unless it was the huge laundry mat front loader. It still never smelled as clean as it does now, with my machine. Plus it was a pain in the butt having to go to the laundry mat just to wash large items.

I recently went to visit someone for a few days and did a load of laundry in their brand new Galaxy front load washer/dryer. Using them really reinforced how much better my Fisher/Paykel top loaders work. Also made me remember how small all the front loaders, I have used, really are.

I think as long as you are happy with your machines it doesn't really matter what you prefer but I wouldn't ever be happy with front loaders again after realizing how much time I wasted cleaning the washer, having to deal with the lint left behind by the dryer and trips to the laundry mat to wash the big comforters and dog beds.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I recently went to visit someone for a few days and did a load of laundry in their brand new Galaxy front load washer/dryer. Using them really reinforced how much better my Fisher/Paykel top loaders work. Also made me remember how small all the front loaders, I have used, really are.
A Fisher/Paykel machine is a top-loader which is as efficient as a front loader. The Whirlpool Cabrio is the same design (licensed). I don't think they have the "spider" which is the source of the complaints with the front loader.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I've always had top loaders and now have a front loader. I much prefer the front loader because I"m short and I can get the clothes out without having to practically crawl into the machine to reach them . I have to say that it takes a heck of a lot less time to dry the clothing from the front loader!!

The gasket does collect a lot of water after a wash so I just soak it up with a towel and leave the door open, not an issue.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM

250 posts, read 694,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I had high end front loader washer/dryer at my last apartment. I almost told the ll to take it out or put a lock on the door because I didn't want to be responsible if it broke. Sure enough a few months in the seal on the door was leaking and had to have a warranty repair done....
I had the same problem... leaky door on new front loading washer after only few months. The repairman came and didn't do anything but tell me that after each load I should use a cloth to wipe the surface of the seal that touches the door and the inside of the door that touches the seal. When I do that I usually get a little hair, lint, etc. - not much, but it's apparently enough to break the seal and allow water through. It's working - haven't had another leaking problem and it's been 2-3 years.

Like some other people here, I leave the door of my washer open to let it dry. I also use a cloth to dry the deep valley in the middle of the black door seal; some water always collects in the bottom of this valley. I don't have a problem with bad smells, mold, mildew, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House