Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

Has anybody installed a commercial refrigerator and/or freezer and remotely located the compressor/condenser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Has anybody installed a commercial refrigerator and/or freezer and remotely located the compressor/condenser?
many people have
look into "water cooled" too

Old 02-27-2014, 06:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I once saw an "upscale" home which had a walk-in refrigerator. And the condenser was located 30 feet away outside.

Note that many commercial appliances also need a commercial electrical supply called "3 phase" electricity. (Note the 4 wires running into businesses many times, but 3 wires for homes [single phase]). That electricity would need to be specially installed from the utility pole. And may not be available for some residential areas.

So before buying anything, learn what electricity you have available in your home, and the electrical requirements of the appliance.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:10 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
That's an interesting idea. Would a remote condenser fridge be significantly quieter?

Would be interesting to put the coil the in the basement, next to a hybrid water heater (aka air-source heat pump). use the waste heat from the fridge indirectly to reduce hot water costs.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The problem is industrial doesn't have drawers or anything---just wire shelves.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I once saw an "upscale" home which had a walk-in refrigerator. And the condenser was located 30 feet away outside.

Note that many commercial appliances also need a commercial electrical supply called "3 phase" electricity. (Note the 4 wires running into businesses many times, but 3 wires for homes [single phase]). That electricity would need to be specially installed from the utility pole. And may not be available for some residential areas.

So before buying anything, learn what electricity you have available in your home, and the electrical requirements of the appliance.

All the units we've been looking at (Traulsen, True, Beverage Air) are single phase. Fortunately my husband is knowledgeable enough about electric & equipment that he knows what specs work and don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
That's an interesting idea. Would a remote condenser fridge be significantly quieter?

Would be interesting to put the coil the in the basement, next to a hybrid water heater (aka air-source heat pump). use the waste heat from the fridge indirectly to reduce hot water costs.

Yes, it should be quieter based on what I've read, which is why I'm asking to see if anybody has first hand experience with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The problem is industrial doesn't have drawers or anything---just wire shelves.
I don't want drawers. I just want big shelves. I prefer the commercial refrigerators/freezers because residential units are too shallow and have too many draws. With the commercial units, I can purchase Cambro containers and such. You can see them used in this image: Traulsen Pass Through Refrigerator

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 02-28-2014 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Typo...draws to drawers! *blush* I'm going to blame that on my late nights with my 3 month old. ;)

Old 02-28-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't want draws. I just want big shelves. I prefer the commercial refrigerators/freezers because residential units are too shallow and have too many draws. With the commercial units, I can purchase Cambro containers and such. You can see them used in this image: Traulsen Pass Through Refrigerator
I could enjoy only having shelves, but not wire shelves. Small things don't set on them well and fall over. I do see wasted space in that picture. Additional shelves would be ideal.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I could enjoy only having shelves, but not wire shelves. Small things don't set on them well and fall over. I do see wasted space in that picture. Additional shelves would be ideal.
You can buy more shelves. You can also buy liners for the shelves.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Another inspirational photo:

Our kitchen will be very similar in layout and size.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:34 AM

I'd want solid refrigerator doors. Glass doors is like having the pantry shelves viewable in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House