Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 AM

204 posts, read 845,621 times

Advertisements

We're closing on our new home in Cary the end of December. The house is set up for central vac, but we would have to purchase the main unit. I have no idea how much they cost, what brands/types are best and if they're really worth it. I have a Dyson now, and I can't imagine anything cleaning better than it does.

Can any one share their opinions on central vacs and recommend a make/model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 05:19 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,773 times
I can't recommend the brand, since we bought our house with one in it, but... we LOVE our central vac! I think the best part is the little slot one in the kitchen that you flip on with your toe...(so if it's vinyl/tile/hardwood, just use a broom, flip it with your toe, and no needing to pick it up!)

Old 12-03-2007, 05:48 AM

45 posts, read 168,641 times
I miss my central vac from my previous home. It is particularly great if you have allergies since all of the dust particles are sucked out of the home. Ours was by Beam and we were very satisfied with the performance...strong suction, rug beater worked well. Make sure that it gets wired for the electricity to run the beater...the hose for that has a power cord that plugs in to run the beater. If you don't have that option you might not be happy with using it for rugs.
Judy

Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,570 times
We love our central vac. Our home was set up with it but we had to buy the main unit. It was about 1000.00 dollars for the unit(5 years ago). Price is based on the square footage of the home because of different size units. That price also included one hose and the attachments. I would recommend getting 2 hoses, one for upstairs and one for downstairs (if you have a 2 story home). It is a pain to lug the hose up the stairs.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,017 times
I've always wanted one. They supposedly have more suction, and evacuate to the outdoors which is great for noise and allergy sufferers. Downside is they're expensive and the hose/head portion is usually a long cumbersome 25' hose which takes a lot of storage and seems like a hassle to drag around.

However, I still use a 20 year old Electrolux canister which I drag around so it can't be too much different.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:03 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,541 times
We had Central Vac in our old house, and built our new house without it and bought the dyson ball.

With central vac you have a 20 to 30 foot hose that you pull around corners, this tends to damage the baseboards on the corners.

If you do get central, try to get an outlet in every room. This will minimize the baseboard damage.

BTW, our Dyson has much more suction than our old Electrolux Central Vac.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
Here are some links to some past discussions also that may help you out .

https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...-building.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...h-expense.html

Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
My Dyson is the BEST vacuum I've ever owned. We didn't put the central system in one of our homes, but it came with the house when we bought it, and I never liked it, myself. I found it just didn't maintain the suction, the hose was awkward, and it did make a mess of the baseboards. Because we have two dogs that shed, considerably, I gambled on the Dyson animal, and can attest to its cleaning capabilities -- it gets the dog hair off our wool rugs! I cannot attest to its longevity yet, as our Dyson is just a little over a year old.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Our Dyson (great Vacuum) had to get repaired (professionally) after about 4 years. The repair cost about $150. Now I understand Dyson has uppped their warranty to about 5 years, so new owners may have less issues.

Even with my Dyson - I have to say - I WANT Central Vac. I don't know if I can justify the cost (my builder is charging about $3200 for the unit, hose, and 6 outlets) .. but I want it!! Imagine, crumb catcher pan in the laundry room. Sweep up the cat litter with a broom, then kick open the crumb catcher and *Zoom* all gone. It would be heaven!!!

But, even so, I'll admit the Dyson works pretty well, and for the most part - no filters to mess with (best part!). So we'll see. Even if we did get Central Vac, I'd still keep the Dyson, never know when an upright might just be more convenient.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,943 times
Thumbs up Central Vac

I currently have a central vac in my home and love it. It can easily clean underneath beds and certain furniture with ease. Who has the time to move furniture to get all the dust and dirt??? It is amazing to see all the dirt underneath furniture that accumulates so fast.

Do yourself a favor and invest in one. It is an upgrade in your home if you ever need to sell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House