U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM

376 posts, read 3,450,407 times

Advertisements

Noticed some water on our carpet today (2nd floor) so I trekked up to the attic.
Found the leak towards the edge of the house, ice dam.
I was able to put my hand up on the inside of the roof and feel the ice.

Outside where this ice dam is, there are no icicles or snow on the roof.
The roof is sloped and we've never had problems before.
<First time for everything, eh?>
I'm guessing this is from before and now that it is getting warmer, it's just time for ice to melt.

I've read that this happens quite often and it is pretty common.
Our house is maybe 13 yrs old.
Is this a sign that we need a new roof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 AM

13,176 posts, read 50,681,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Is this a sign that we need a new roof?
No.
But definitely a better one. And since the water has made it's way from the attic to the floor and maybe further- you'll probably have to open the wall in that general area so it can dry out. The sooner the better.

For the roof- Grace Snow and Ice Shield membrane.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:48 PM

434 posts, read 381,096 times
Since you can feel the dam, you might consider filling a gauzy woman's sock with calcium chloride snow melt and placing the sock across the dam. It'll melt a u-shaped channel through the ice dam, and allow the water to drain out.

I'm not sure that any roof can prevent water from getting from an ice dam. The membranes are typically applied only at the edge.

Also, I would wait to open the wall. Because it's cold, the insulation and wallboard may be able to dry before you get mold growth. Unless of course your drywall is now clearly wetwall.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 PM

369 posts, read 816,327 times
Your roof is probably fine, ice dams are quite common in colder climates.

It's too late for this year, but maybe look into heat tape for your eaves and gutters next year.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:39 PM

376 posts, read 3,450,407 times
Thanks all for the responses.
I ended up putting down a towel and some plastic bags to catch the drips from the ice up in the attic.
Just a quick fix. This week it's supposed to get warmer so I'll go back up again and see how my "macgyver" solution worked out.
Although Macgyver would've needed a pencil, piece of string, and stick of gum to fix this!!

At first I thought our puppy had peed on the carpet, the size of a quarter if you will.
But the wet spot was really cold. So up to the attic I went.

I don't like going up to the attic at all.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or