Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:58 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times

Advertisements

Women get behind the idea of a man cave with a TV the size of the sheet of plywood and a kegerator because they know their man won’t be out doing other more manly pursuits like mountain biking, fighting bulls, shooting guns, hot-rodding, turning wrenches etc.

The American male is mostly a dead shell of his forefathers and the man cave is jail cell. The wife or girlfriend has his balls in solitary confinement under the sink in a mason jar. Any man that claims to have a man cave should have a huge L tattooed on their forehead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I keep seeing that people insist on having a "man cave" which apparently is a place where you park the DH or boyfriend in front of the TV and he drinks beer or watches sports.

This disturbs me. First, where is the "woman cave" where I can have my hair done, have my girlfriends over for wine and cheese? Second, are our spouses such a problem that we really need a whole designated space to put them where they won't bother us?

Obviously I am no fan of this concept, so I will put that right out there. I don't get it. Anyone have any insights?
Sounds like an HGTV-inspired fad to me.....a generated "must have", if you will.

Not sure how effectively that's transferred to real life, though....

Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,332 times
Quote:
I keep seeing that people insist on having a "man cave" which apparently is a place where you park the DH or boyfriend in front of the TV and he drinks beer or watches sports.

This disturbs me. First, where is the "woman cave" where I can have my hair done, have my girlfriends over for wine and cheese? Second, are our spouses such a problem that we really need a whole designated space to put them where they won't bother us?

Obviously I am no fan of this concept, so I will put that right out there. I don't get it. Anyone have any insights?
*Sigh

As a man who dreams of having the perfect man cave in my first home purchase (renting still), there is so much wrong with this post.

First off, you women have the kitchen, the bathrooms, the sunroom, the master bedroom, the foyer, the living room, the craft room, etc. Men just want one thing, a man cave. You won't see a man usually spending hours in the bathroom with 1000 bottles of hair and makeup products on the counter, on in the living room with the woman's hundred of trinkets she bought to "decorate and make it feel homey". Why can't the man have one room he is thrilled with? One room HE gets to design as his own. One room HE actually really likes.

Why is a man cave important? It's for preserving the youth in us men. The one room where we can get away for a moment from adult life. Take a break from the wife and kids. SOME ALONE TIME IS IMPORTANT, many women seem to struggle with the man's desire for this need... There's also nothing wrong with escaping adult responsibility from time to time, it invigorates us!!! We just want a room we can feel like nothing else matters but the pleasures within the room and the joys of our childhood. Video games, TV, music, mini fridges, many man friends and good times to be had. Where else can men get together and make immature jokes and talk about boobs. You women gossip all the time in public, at least us men have the maturity to reserve our immature behaviors for the man cave. :P I mean, where else can a man get all his man friends together to play some Super Smash Brothers all night till 2 AM and eat pizza and beer. With kids and a spouse to disturb, it's important to have that separate room so the kids and spouse don't have to be disturbed by it.

In short, is one room, JUST ONE ROOM, too much to give up to your hubby? That's all he asks... one room.

Quote:
I guess if there are two people who can't agree on decor that makes sense. I just have never heard it used in that way, but always as a male getaway for huge tvs and having the boys over.
What is so hard to understand about the idea that a man wants a space to spend some time with his man friends, or his own space to work on or spend time with things he is passionate about? Is that so much to ask for, really???

Last edited by the_grimace; 03-08-2014 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
Sounds like the old real estate pitch for sunken dens as in an "animal's den." Nothing really ever changes in sales. You just package your snake oil in a bottle with different colored label.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:50 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
One of the things my husband wants in his man cave is shaggy carpet-- which I... despise to say the least and would never ever have it installed in the house. It's just a place where he'd have all his gadgets, the rest of the family could still use it. It's just the one room he gets to have more (or all) say in designing.

The female version of this... like the PP, is the rest of the house, but there's also the "craft room". There's actually nothing saying you can't have your very own "Ma'am Cave"-- go for it if you want.

Shaggy carpet?? What else does he want, a lava lamp, bean bag chairs, and molded plastic furniture? I would let him have those things, but I would put my foot down if he wants avocado appliances.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
Buy a farm. Then you'll not need a "man cave." However, first I would recommend that you find yourself a real woman.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:55 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Growing up, the men in my family (father, brother, uncles...etc) made a big deal about having a decent sized garage to work on cars, drink beer and escape the women in their lives. lol. Then finishing the basement was a big deal that included their own designs of dark paneling and bar they designed themselves (which was usually hideous). No one called it a man cave though. My husband never really cared too much but became excited about the idea of a finished basement so he could have a massive tv to watch sports. So when we found our house it was a perfect set up as it already had a niche in the wall that would accommodate a 60 in flat screen tv. So he really gunned for a large tv and surround sound. He then realized he simply didn't like hanging out in the basement. I don't care if he wishes to have a space to himself but it does tick me off that the tv and surround sound go unused. I am not much of a tv watcher. The basement ended up becoming my space as there is also a office down there and I work from home. If I had known what I do now, I would have set up the basement differently where I used the both rooms for work.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
No man cave here. We have a cabin about two hours north. That's where all the man caving occurs

Old 03-08-2014, 03:04 PM

57 posts, read 79,473 times
Most (but not all) husbands require an escape (well, let's say "separate") place once the honeymoon is over. In the past this has been the garage, the basement workshop, and in more affluent homes, the den. Nowadays its requirements are more elaborate - electronics, bigscreen, recliner, etc.

Last i looked women have custody of the remainder of the house. You do your hair in the main bathroom even if there are jars, cans of stuff, dusting powder kegs, and curlers all over the counter (he has his own bath somewhere else). The kitchen table is where the girls gather to gossip. In most cases the livingroom and/or porch is the wives as well (men do tend to stay indoors). Old concept, nothing new - just the term "mancave."

Old 03-08-2014, 03:18 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,764 times
There have been "man caves" for as long as there have been houses, years ago it may have been called his "workshop".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House