Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

This thread is cracking me up!

I want to have a tacky food party now.

And serve Keystone beer and Boone's Farm wine (is it wine?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
To each his/her own. Why such attacks on those who do not follow our individual tastes but open their homes to others for whatever reasons?

I am sure our decorating does not go over well with some others. Few furnishings, tile floor, old rugs, a John Nieto has dominated living rooms of several houses, little to no dustables, low key colors, one wall in my office is covered by gun safe. No Texas Star anywhere:>)

Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
"Codpiece". That is all.

Google "Codpiece and Thomas Kincade". Poor guy. I don't think he was equipped to handle his success.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
No one is attacking anyone personally. In fact, many of us are making fun of OUR OWN STUFF on this thread.

I love it!

We have a big Texas star - also in our den. The den is where the majority of our weird, aka tacky, stuff seems to land. There and in the home office, where we have Mardi Gras beads hanging all over the place.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
I for one am not a fan of sports memorabilia and "fanware" displayed as if it's fine art.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:36 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,444 times
I have two pink flamingos down at our creek (we live in Pennsylvania) and two black vampire flamingos (Halloween treasures - they have large fangs) up near our driveway, in an otherwise "tasteful and classy" bed of appropriate shrubbery.

So there.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
My sister, who is generally a classy lady has what she calls her Tacky Picture Frame Collection. It is mostly pics from her travels in bad frames that she buys while traveling. She keep them upstairs an the bar they have in the game room.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Well I am going to really try to make an effort to post a picture of my creepy clown to add to this thread. It is truly hideous but I just can't let her go!

My mom gave me a decorative towel thing that says, "A Clean House is a Sign of a Wasted Life" that I keep in my kitchen. I was annoyed when I realized my husband had actually been using it and got it all dirty/stained. I also have two other signs in my kitchen---one that says, "Beer --- Helping White Guys Dance Since 1842" (b/c my husband is an awful dancer) and another, "Amazingly Enough, I Don't Give a S***!" We also have alphabet letters on the refrigerators that seem to find themselves spelling inappropriate things at times. We are really just tacky sometimes and I can admit it without crying about it.

We have my FIL's ashes around and for the longest time, they sat on our desk in the "office." I have no idea why but they did. Then he hung out with Buzz Lightyear for awhile. When it's his birthday, my husband likes to offer him a drink, since saying he liked to drink is putting it lightly. Now he's in the closet until we get a nice urn and then toss the rest into the ocean where we know he'd like to be.

Hm---so it's only okay to be honest when you say so? No matter what you do in life, no matter what you say---you are going to offend someone. I'm assuming you've never had an opinion about ANYTHING (forget about decor) that other people don't agree with, that other people aren't offended by, etc. I guess we can all tiptoe around but my understanding is that the point of a forum is to engage with others and that we might not always agree with them. I just find it funny that the people who are offended by this thread continue to come back and be reoffended.

BTW-Someone did ask: What sorts of things do you see in other people's houses that make you cringe? Have you ever had this backfire and been the recipient of some of these lovely household goods?

We used to have Jack Sparrow (and my husband had all kinds of video game crap) but he was falling apart and when we moved to our current place, we left him standing up in the garbage area of the basement in our old building hoping to freak people out.

ETA: I just remembered---my husband and I had a big Samuel Adams mirror as our living room mirror in our last apartment. It was horrible! (We still have it just not out. Ha.)
people can obviously say whatever they want here. What people are saying and how much they are saying paints a picture of the type of person they are. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
When I visited the Empire State Building, I really regret not buying the Empire State Building salt and pepper shakers with King Kong climbing up the side. They were awesome! That was one time I wish that my good taste button had been turned off :-)

Old 03-17-2014, 12:23 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,809 times
I'm loving this thread! It's made me lol a lot! I love how it started with what makes you cringe in others homes to let me share my tacky ish with y'all!! Too funny!

As for me and my house, I decorate with tons of tacky and cringe worthy. It's all about placement people. The ebb and flow! How things are placed to be pleasing to the eye!

Ha! If you can't laugh at your own self, you don't have a sense of humor! Lighten up people! Life's short, don't take things so serious! Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House