Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking back to when I painted an antique Victrola when I was about 13. My aunt was living in Europe and asked my mother to store it for her. I came home from school to see this old record player thing in my room, so I grabbed my paints and decorated it with David Lee Roth from Van Halen. Turns out, my aunt wasn't quite as much of a fan of him as I was.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson, right? But noooooo... in college, I scored a bunch of paint and painted Pink Floyd's The Wall in the corner of our freshly painted apartment. That looked SO amazing that I added Pee Wee Herman's head -covering the WHOLE wall. Then pop a little spray paint graffiti here and there, and man oh man, you have yourself a kick ass college apartment. Until the landlord sees it and you climb out the bedroom window in an escape attempt. Yeah, I know a thing or two about cringe-worthy! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I think I saw the boots in a neighbor's yard in the suburbs--those old work boots, with flowers growing out of them. Kind of like what would happen "post-humans", but with Johnny Appleseed running around with flower seeds.

Especially in light of the fact that they had a large pig on a leash in the front. He would bark at me when I took walks. My friend figured out how to say, "FU" in pig body language, by throwing your chin up in disgust. The pig would get so mad.

The entire picture was just so strange.

Depends on how it's styled, but it could be awesome. I've always loved peacocks. There used to be a lady near where I lived that had no grass, all flowers. She sold all of them--you just browsed through her yard and she'd dig up whatever you wanted to buy. Peacocks lived in an old barn on the property. She collected their feathers and sold them.

At least that's how I hope the feathers are gathered.
LMAO barking pig. And how you 'told' it off

My mother has peacocks that eat her cat food. She gathers the feathers up when they shed them and mails them to me. I had quite the bouquet but packed them away in anticipation of our questionable move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
A number of years ago, I visited Beatrix Potter's Hilltop Farm, on the edge of the tiny village of Near Sawrey, in England's Lake District. Just across the road was Anvil Cottage, which featured an old anvil in a niche above the front door - and a pair of men's green-painted lace-up work boots, planted with colorful annuals, on either side of the front walk.

The boots looked great, and added a touch of typical English quirkiness, just like a low-to-the-ground sign I once saw at a stately home, reading "TO THE DUCKERY---->", and the small local museum I visited in the Cotswolds, which featured one of the local traditional industries' products hanging like stalactites from the ceiling: wooden legs, of various lengths.

You can't make this stuff up. You really can't...
It sounds lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The English do eccentric things with their gardening and I have never found it to be tacky. But of course I have not seen ALL English gardens. I have seen flowers growing out of old shoes in their gardens and whimsical creations made of twisted willow branches.

Go to a place like Martha's Vineyard and you'll see flowers growing out of seashells and around where I live now, several towns have an old dory planted with flowers. I love it! Tacky? I even like it when they use an old oar as a door handle. It would look stupid on a house and tacky. But on a second hand bookstore and oar for a door--looked intriguing.
Dummy here.....what is a dory??

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Ashley sets embellished with stuff from "Hobby Lobby".

Wreaths that seem to be made out of plastic scrub brushes. Has anyone seen these?
OMG a new wreath low!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Paper flowers, wax flowers, ones made out of nylons.. hate them all..
Lava lamps
Fairy lights round a bed when its not xmas
Houses at Xmas with ovedone big lighty up snowmen and santas..
Those jangly streamers for a door.
Doormats with messages on them. oh the rocking chair thing... Im not talking about lovely big houses having them.. but Ive seen them in small apartments years ago in Glasgow. no room for them with other seating , I really meant those big wicker chairs like from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.. hahah didnt mean to offend anyone.
I have a jumble of LED Xmas lights under DH's nightstand so he can see the floor at night.
Guilty!
I have two doormats that say go away, one has Foghorn Leghorn on it.
Repeat offender, guilty! Take her away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I'm thinking back to when I painted an antique Victrola when I was about 13. My aunt was living in Europe and asked my mother to store it for her. I came home from school to see this old record player thing in my room, so I grabbed my paints and decorated it with David Lee Roth from Van Halen. Turns out, my aunt wasn't quite as much of a fan of him as I was.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson, right? But noooooo... in college, I scored a bunch of paint and painted Pink Floyd's The Wall in the corner of our freshly painted apartment. That looked SO amazing that I added Pee Wee Herman's head -covering the WHOLE wall. Then pop a little spray paint graffiti here and there, and man oh man, you have yourself a kick ass college apartment. Until the landlord sees it and you climb out the bedroom window in an escape attempt. Yeah, I know a thing or two about cringe-worthy! :-)
LMFAO Nicci Stay away from my Victrola!

I like old lamps. Esp. the tall floor lamps. When I see one I can't say no. It's a horror

Old 03-20-2014, 11:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Harahrharahrharharharh this thread is so funny!

I actually like the oar idea for a door.

Once I made a wreath (or, well, a round thing) out of beans glued to, well, a round thing.

I once NEARLY finished a cross stitch piece that said, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I'd like to say that good taste kicked in before I finished it, but what actually happened is that I was fifteen, my mother was making me do it, and I finally just stuffed it behind something hoping she'd forget about it. I think she finished it about five years later!

As stated before, I once covered my entire dining room wall in my vinyl album covers. This was my first apartment. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's funny! Don't know if you watch Modern Family, but this also reminds me of Jay's "dog butler", Barkley, that Gloria made him get rid of.

3/14

5/14
I loved Barkley! Too bad Gloria didn't.....

Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Hanging stuffed remnants of dead animals on the wall.....

Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Dummy here.....what is a dory??

A dory is a small boat, like a row boat.

They'll take an old wooden row boat and plant it full of flowers. They look nice. Sea side towns will put one on a small traffic island or next to the sign that says "Entering X (town)"

Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I think I saw the boots in a neighbor's yard in the suburbs--those old work boots, with flowers growing out of them. Kind of like what would happen "post-humans", but with Johnny Appleseed running around with flower seeds.

Especially in light of the fact that they had a large pig on a leash in the front. He would bark at me when I took walks. My friend figured out how to say, "FU" in pig body language, by throwing your chin up in disgust. The pig would get so mad.

The entire picture was just so strange.
I've been thinking about this since I posted it.

I think I may need to report a murder. Obviously, the pig ate the owner of the boots--probably said FU in pig language one too many times--and then tried to hide the leftovers by turning them into a planter.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:37 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
In a village in Ireland, they have a life size cow in their garden... not sure if thats cringey or cool hahaha
Furry cushions in six different colours..... hands up to that one in the 60s
Lamps attached to a small cheap table.. hands up again, also the 60s
Those tiny wee squares of sticky on mirror that glasgow folk thought was cool to stick everywhere.
Artex on walls.. hideous
Companion sets at the hearth with no coal fires.
Ash trays on a stand .
say no more.....

Old 03-21-2014, 07:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Haha. Yeah, I should probably come up with an excuse not to visit your house.
Nonsense. You'll love it! On Saturday nights we perform the Haka, an ancient Maori war dance. All are welcome. Unless you're from an island we're at war with.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:03 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
hahahah big boys toys... aye that annoys me too... you know since I was very young I never got wax fruit in a bowl on the table, its misleading and cheating isnt it?... IN most Glasgow tenements there were no inside loos or hot water but when some tried to get modernised in the late 50s, they had hot and cold taps put on at the new white sink in the kitchen but no hot water....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House