Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Oh, the old waterbeds. Yikes. I had one that had a small leak in it. Hubby and I slept on it when I was pregnant. What a nightmare trying to get out of that thing with a big old baby belly. Especially when it didn't have enough water in it! I'd flop and roll and try to get "waves" going to propel me out of bed. I was lying on it with hot, wet towels over my painful, swollen breasts, reading a Calvin and Hobbes book, laughing my hiney off, when I went into labor. It took me at least 10 minutes to extricate myself from that monstrosity. I think we ended up burning it. Not at that moment, of course, because that would be rather an odd thing to do while in labor.
You burned a WATER-bed??

Did the water boil??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 04:52 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LMAO a Bobblehead!We do have one of the Michelin Tire man, DH HAD to have one. It is nicely made, though, out of ceramic.
Ceramic? How odd. One of his features is being cushioned, so he can roll down the road while giving you a soft ride. Why would be be ceramic? lol.

Of course I had to Google this. I now have about 24 additional useless facts taking up space in my brain. For example, his name is Bibendum, which stands for, "Now it's time to drink," or something like that. He has been in an Academy winning piece, triggered panic attacks in a fictional character, had a reggae song written about him that was the subject of a trademark lawsuit, and he was born in 1894. He has his own Wikipedia page, where you too can find useful and 100% true facts about the Michelin Man.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:02 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You burned a WATER-bed??

Did the water boil??
Ha! My dad is a burn barrel "aficionado." The man lives to burn stuff. Good thing he's a moral, law abiding citizen. I hope he never runs off the rails. But, boy howdy, does he love burnin' stuff! My mom bought a comforter awhile back. She went to make the bed and found it missing. My dad burned it. He said the thing was "too hot." He took it out to his massive burn barrel and burned the "too hot" comforter. So, yeah. My waterbed was most likely burned. At least bits and pieces of it.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:07 PM

I live in the desert and I've never seen gravel for yards. Rocks, yes. Is that what you guys are talking about?

I like rocks. I think they're beautiful on their own and look stunning with cacti and succulents in them. Most houses are in homeowner's associations that restrict tackiness. We have approved rock colors and they're all neutrals.

One of my neighbors carpeted their rocks with green lights at Xmas time. It was actually kinda cool. Looked like radioactive grass.

Last edited by imagineAA; 04-05-2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This may have already been touched on, but how about those aluminum Christmas trees with the light that you sat on the floor, that rotated colors: blue, red, yellow and green? I thought it was all so beeyootiful!
I had one that was about 4' tall, faux needles with lights that changed colors. The problem, for me, was that it rotated. It reminded me of this:
It worked fine other than that, but I put it on Craigslist. The buyer came to pick it up and asked, suspiciously, "Why do you want to get rid of it?" I said I just didn't want it anymore. His little girl was standing right there. I didn't think it would be appropriate to explain.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I only post this because it came up in another thread.

I have an aunt who ADORES Thomas Kincade. I had never heard of him until she started pointing out that the unbelievably tacky (my opinion) wall art in her home had a similar origin. I am sure it makes her happy. I probably made the appreciative noises I was supposed to when I saw it.

She also knows that I paint, draw, and collect art. So one year for Christmas guess what she bought me? That's right-- my very own "painter of light" piece! Sweet gesture but it sat in a closet until I eBayed it.

What sorts of things do you see in other people's houses that make you cringe? Have you ever had this backfire and been the recipient of some of these lovely household goods?
I like Kincade, but the only way I would have his art in my house is if I purchased one of his paintings. I cannot abide by prints and, with *one* singular exception, I refuse to own a print of any artist.

Anyway, yes, I hate people who have ornate plastic candle sconces on their walls, it just looks so awful.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-05-2014, 05:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Oh, the old waterbeds. Yikes. I had one that had a small leak in it. Hubby and I slept on it when I was pregnant. What a nightmare trying to get out of that thing with a big old baby belly. Especially when it didn't have enough water in it! I'd flop and roll and try to get "waves" going to propel me out of bed. I was lying on it with hot, wet towels over my painful, swollen breasts, reading a Calvin and Hobbes book, laughing my hiney off, when I went into labor. It took me at least 10 minutes to extricate myself from that monstrosity. I think we ended up burning it. Not at that moment, of course, because that would be rather an odd thing to do while in labor.
I love them. Wish I still had mine. On a cold winter night, they are so incredibly warm.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-05-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not yet sure how to work those teeth into the decor though....
And strangely there are no hits when you Google, "decorating with teeth". (ATM the FBI is probably investigating me as a serial killer for using those keywords.)

I will oblige you with a list.

1. Crank the jaw open and put a plant or plastic flowers inside.

2. Put a small glass inside and use as a toothbrush holder.

3. Attach levers and a pole. Use as a grabber for items on the top shelf that you can't reach.

4. Click together while bellydancing instead of finger cymbals.

5. Use to clamp open bags of potato chips.

6. Bedazzle a few of the teeth and use as Christmas ornament.

7. Blacken a few of the teeth and hang it in your tree at Halloween.

8. Take #7 out of storage at Easter for a reminder to kids about not eating too much candy.

9. Remove teeth and make a mosaic tile top for your coffee table.

10. Substitute for missing Monopoly pieces.

11. Hang on a wall plaque. Insert one of those chips from singing cards. Install a motion-sensitive spring. They can now sing whenever someone walks by, like the singing fish plaques.

12. Make earrings and sell them on Etsy as upcycled.

13. Sculpt a pumpkin to look like your dearly departed grandma's head. Insert teeth.

14. Insert them into a teddy bear's mouth and sit him on the sofa. When you have guests, act like it's totally normal.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
We had the bottom half of a sewing machine as a table--I used to pump the foot pump.

We had one of those treadle sewing machines (yes I had to look up the name) when I was growing up, an antique from some relative, used as a desk. The machine was gone but it had little drawers on either side, the top could be lifted up and the inside used for storage. As a child fidgeter, I used to pump the foot pump while doing homework. I'm not generally a huge fan of antiques but would probably buy one of those if I saw it because it was unique and functional.
At a desk, that could be quite useful. I was actually taking a look at these this week, so I could get some exercise while working. I'd rather have the sewing machine pump. Then I could stop if I got distracted from exercising, instead of having to keep walking on the treadmill.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Ha! My dad is a burn barrel "aficionado." The man lives to burn stuff. Good thing he's a moral, law abiding citizen. I hope he never runs off the rails. But, boy howdy, does he love burnin' stuff! My mom bought a comforter awhile back. She went to make the bed and found it missing. My dad burned it. He said the thing was "too hot." He took it out to his massive burn barrel and burned the "too hot" comforter. So, yeah. My waterbed was most likely burned. At least bits and pieces of it.
Did your mom say, "Well, it is NOW!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You burned a WATER-bed??

Did the water boil??
Like boil-in-the-bag meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I live in the desert and I've never seen gravel for yards. Rocks, yes. Is that what you guys are talking about?

I like rocks. I think they're beautiful on their own and look stunning with cacti and succulents in them. Most houses are in homeowner's associations that restrict tackiness. We have approved rock colors and they're all neutrals.

One of my neighbors carpeted their rocks with green lights at Xmas time. It was actually kinda cool. Looked like radioactive grass.
I actually wish more people here in Southern California would decorate their yards with rocks, cacti and succulents. It's more suited to the desert climate, and I think it can look really beautiful (only if done to my preferences, of course. Have to keep in line with the thread. ) Anyway, I wish we had a yard so we could decorate it that way.

Quote:
I had one that was about 4' tall, faux needles with lights that changed colors. The problem, for me, was that it rotated. It reminded me of this:
It worked fine other than that, but I put it on Craigslist. The buyer came to pick it up and asked, suspiciously, "Why do you want to get rid of it?" I said I just didn't want it anymore. His little girl was standing right there. I didn't think it would be appropriate to explain.
LOL...

Quote:
And strangely there are no hits when you Google, "decorating with teeth". (ATM the FBI is probably investigating me as a serial killer for using those keywords.)

I will oblige you with a list.

1. Crank the jaw open and put a plant or plastic flowers inside.

2. Put a small glass inside and use as a toothbrush holder.

3. Attach levers and a pole. Use as a grabber for items on the top shelf that you can't reach.

4. Click together while bellydancing instead of finger cymbals.

5. Use to clamp open bags of potato chips.

6. Bedazzle a few of the teeth and use as Christmas ornament.

7. Blacken a few of the teeth and hang it in your tree at Halloween.

8. Take #7 out of storage at Easter for a reminder to kids about not eating too much candy.

9. Remove teeth and make a mosaic tile top for your coffee table.

10. Substitute for missing Monopoly pieces.

11. Hang on a wall plaque. Insert one of those chips from singing cards. Install a motion-sensitive spring. They can now sing whenever someone walks by, like the singing fish plaques.

12. Make earrings and sell them on Etsy as upcycled.

13. Sculpt a pumpkin to look like your dearly departed grandma's head. Insert teeth.

14. Insert them into a teddy bear's mouth and sit him on the sofa. When you have guests, act like it's totally normal.
Would someone please rep this post for me? That was too good, imagineAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House