Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Ah yes, now I understand. Yeah, I haven't seen one of those in the USA ever. I saw them all over Europe. I lived in several different countries...the last one I lived in before returning home was England, and my house there had separate faucets for hot/cold in the bathrooms (both in the sinks and bathtub) but the kitchen sink was a single unit that was almost identical to ones you see here in the USA.
We had them in our downstairs bathroom at my house growing up, back in Australia. But you're right, they seem more common elsewhere, in older houses, than in the U.S. They're a pain in the backside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Ah I just thought of something else.

I enjoy looking at real estate listings in my area, even though we're not looking for a new house (I just like looking at houses)- and I came across one that had been done up to evoke a medieval / castle kind of theme inside? There were suits of armor, jousting sticks, axes on the walls, medieval style flags, etc. Other than their decor, it's a beautiful house. Obviously, I doubt the decor will be 'coming with' the house when / if it sells, but my point is that overdoing the medieval theme is an art deco, 1930s home isn't to my taste!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think that houses will tell you what they want. I agree that old houses are being stripped of charming irreplaceable features, just because of the influence of HGTV shows.
I just watched one yesterday in which a couple took a sweet 1930s cottage in CA (where else?) and gave it a "charmectomy". They added a second floor, and turned it into a white, angular modern looking thing. They spent $400K on the renovation, but it was still a sad outcome.
At least we can watch Rehab Addict for a dose of restoration and recycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
The parts of CA that has these homes doesn't have new homes anymore, only older ones that people just buy for the land and pretty much remove them and build new ones or do what the other poster said give it charmectomy, interesting word. CA is a very interesting state to travel around and see the architecture change and the modern and old living together. Million dollar homes next to ones with plastic flowers and pink flamingo, tiki torches decorating the front yards
CA is not alone in this - so many sweet homes are being gutted. Personally, if we buy another house
I would love to have a home from the 30's-60's untouched (except for updating electrical/wiring, ac
and hopefully no lead pipes).
btw, the pink bathrooms became popular due to Mamie Eisenhower because her favorite color was pink.

Thought I'd share some old memories and charm.
https://www.pinterest.com/explore/50s-bathroom/

https://www.pinterest.com/kevanrijn/...and-early-60s/

Old 05-06-2014, 12:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
China cabinets full of crystal vases etc collected over years & years ..useless and now worthless
They are not worthless if you enjoy them and find them attractive. I have recently taken a renewed interest in cut glass and crystal. It is a timeless beauty, unlike the cheap, poorly made and quite frankly tasteless things that are sold today that pass as decor. But, to each his own, which this thread is showing beautifully. One persons tacky is another persons beautiful. Just my $2.00 worth. That price is adjusted for inflation.

Last edited by katnip kid; 05-06-2014 at 12:34 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 12:29 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,608 times
I had a vintage pink, black and chrome kitchen. I never liked the color combo in a kitchen. I would love to get the linoleum my grandmother had in her kitchen. It was patterned with tropical leaves, flowers such as bird of paradise, hibiscus and such, with huge philodendron leaves against a black background. Although too much for a kitchen, it would be great elsewhere.

I sometimes see the double taps mentioned upthread in older homes in PA and OH, or MI.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:28 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I had a vintage pink, black and chrome kitchen. I never liked the color combo in a kitchen. I would love to get the linoleum my grandmother had in her kitchen. It was patterned with tropical leaves, flowers such as bird of paradise, hibiscus and such, with huge philodendron leaves against a black background. Although too much for a kitchen, it would be great elsewhere.

I sometimes see the double taps mentioned upthread in older homes in PA and OH, or MI.
Yes, the double faucets are still around. They have a blue dot for cold and a red dot for hot. One time I saw some that had been joined together so that the water mixed and came out of a third faucet. Weird but practical.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:28 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Thanks, Katnipkid, my collection of Fenton vases is something I may pare down but will never part with all.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I have a curio cabinet with a light inside it and it holds my carnival glass. It's completely useless stuff but it's got bling! I love the way the light sparkles off the cuts in the glass and makes the colors glow!

And there are plenty of people out there who think carnival glass is tacky. Oh well!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
KA, carnival glass has a huge following. People are hoarding it so when the market loosens up they can smile knowing it's worth a small fortune. Same way with Fenton.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
KA, carnival glass has a huge following. People are hoarding it so when the market loosens up they can smile knowing it's worth a small fortune. Same way with Fenton.
I LOVE me some carnival glass, so that's good to know. I inherited quite a bit from my grandmother, and then I pick up pieces along the way. It's so beautiful in a lit cabinet or in front of a window!

Ahhh, Fenton's nice too. HOARD AWAY!

I was lucky enough to also inherit some Hull and McCoy pieces - very nice pieces in fact. I've bought a few more of them along the way too. One day my girls will fight over them -they're already dropping hints about which pieces they like - LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House