Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 03:48 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I had forgotten about Lladro and Hummel figurines. Really I don't think they are cringe-worthy, but I just don't get the appeal of any type of collection unless it has sentimental value to me personally. I dated a man once who was very proud of a Lladro figurine he had. I didn't express much enthusiasm when he put it in a place of honor in his house, although I didn't criticize it--but he got very angry with me. It led to an argument about how his ex-wife collected Hummels, too, and I was just stupid not to like this sort of thing! He didn't like my shelves of books and thought that was stupid, too!! Hmmph!
Oh my goodness, I laughed out loud reading this. The guy sounds like a fuss-budget. My husband could give two rips about how I decorate... which is how I like it. He just nods and says, "that looks nice, Honey."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Oh my goodness, I laughed out loud reading this. The guy sounds like a fuss-budget. My husband could give two rips about how I decorate... which is how I like it. He just nods and says, "that looks nice, Honey."
Mine is much the same way. "Whatever makes you happy, honey."

I am pretty sure he doesn't mean that literally!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:12 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I haven't read this entire thread but I have a funny story about Thomas Kincade.

I worked for a number of years in one place. One time I was given a gift of something for my office by someone that worked closely with me that was a Thomas Kincade knickknack. (omg!) As they say, hindsight is 20/20. I should have said "this thing will go perfectly in my home" and promptly trashed it right then and there (and dealt with it later if the person ever came to my house) But nooooo, I displayed it in my office. Big Mistake! Can you guess what happened? People started thinking I liked TK!!!!! I started getting gifts for Christmas and my birthday and Boss's Day of TK items! I had a small lamp, a framed print, you name it, I received it! The final blow was when my parents, who had come by my office and had seen all the crap, oops, I mean TK, gave me something as well! Not long after I went to a new position and was able to pack my office up. Lesson learned.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Mine is much the same way. "Whatever makes you happy, honey."

I am pretty sure he doesn't mean that literally!

Kathryn, we should test this. Meet me for a colossal shopping spree. (Although, I am very much NOT a shopper. I get whiny. Be prepared. Ha.)

I was chatting with my husband the other night (he's currently Up Nort' in WI and I'm Down South in SC) and I said, "Hey, there are some cute curtains online at..." and he interrupted me and said, "You should get them, Honey!" I responded with, "Well, I was going to say that there are some cute curtains online, but I have no idea of the dimensions or even the number of windows we HAVE in our new house. Soooo, I think I'll wait instead of just randomly ordering, whatcha think?" And he said, "Oh, yeah. That makes more sense." But it's very good to know that I could just order one million and two curtains online, isn't it? He should be careful. Some day I might consume too much sugar and just go completely nuts with the ordering.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Kathryn, we should test this. Meet me for a colossal shopping spree. (Although, I am very much NOT a shopper. I get whiny. Be prepared. Ha.)

I was chatting with my husband the other night (he's currently Up Nort' in WI and I'm Down South in SC) and I said, "Hey, there are some cute curtains online at..." and he interrupted me and said, "You should get them, Honey!" I responded with, "Well, I was going to say that there are some cute curtains online, but I have no idea of the dimensions or even the number of windows we HAVE in our new house. Soooo, I think I'll wait instead of just randomly ordering, whatcha think?" And he said, "Oh, yeah. That makes more sense." But it's very good to know that I could just order one million and two curtains online, isn't it? He should be careful. Some day I might consume too much sugar and just go completely nuts with the ordering.
Ha! I have this mental picture of him coming home and finding you beneath tons of Amazon and eBay packages full of curtains. Not dead - just eating tons of those Airhead and Nerd candies while glued to your tablet.

I currently have the opposite problem (besides the fact that I don't like Airheads or Nerds - real or candy). We just spent, oh, I won't even say how much money on all new flooring for our entire new house (mostly hardwoods). I think my husband is still in shock and awe at the speed in which our checking account vanished into thin air. Like your husband, mine is working "up north" while I am down south in Texas supervising strange men who play very loud Mexican radio stations all day long in my house. So of course anyone could understand why occasionally I just suddenly bolt out the front door and hurl myself into Pier 1 where at least the music is good.

So yesterday I was talking with my husband on the phone and I said, "I was going to go by..." and before I could say anything else, he exclaimed in an alarmed tone, "Oh please don't GO BUY ANYTHING ELSE."

I said, "Honey. I was going to GO BY THE FURNITURE STORE AND CHECK ON THE STATUS OF OUR ORDER - which we have already paid for."

Maybe I should remind him that his paranoia is not making me happy.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 AM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
If you want to see reaaal expensive tacky, just check out this dude's house:
Bachelor Seeks Bride To Live In His Blingy Gold House (PICTURES)

Love the plastic on the dining chairs.
I think we can close the thread after this
THAT'S FN CREEPY.....

Old 06-08-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ha! I have this mental picture of him coming home and finding you beneath tons of Amazon and eBay packages full of curtains. Not dead - just eating tons of those Airhead and Nerd candies while glued to your tablet.

I currently have the opposite problem (besides the fact that I don't like Airheads or Nerds - real or candy). We just spent, oh, I won't even say how much money on all new flooring for our entire new house (mostly hardwoods). I think my husband is still in shock and awe at the speed in which our checking account vanished into thin air. Like your husband, mine is working "up north" while I am down south in Texas supervising strange men who play very loud Mexican radio stations all day long in my house. So of course anyone could understand why occasionally I just suddenly bolt out the front door and hurl myself into Pier 1 where at least the music is good.

So yesterday I was talking with my husband on the phone and I said, "I was going to go by..." and before I could say anything else, he exclaimed in an alarmed tone, "Oh please don't GO BUY ANYTHING ELSE."

I said, "Honey. I was going to GO BY THE FURNITURE STORE AND CHECK ON THE STATUS OF OUR ORDER - which we have already paid for."

Maybe I should remind him that his paranoia is not making me happy.

I totally SNICKERed at your Airheads-Nerds real or candy joke.

I have a tendency to REALLY like black and white striped anything. I'm really trying to curb my, "Hey, that's got black and white stripes on it, BUY IT!" inclination. I don't want my new house to look like Beetlejuice decorated it, I suppose. I've been looking at neutral curtains and my eyes just glaze over. Maybe we just don't have curtains in the new house? No, no. That won't work. I'd terrorize the neighbors. They'd run me out on a rail, for sure.

Hope the new house is coming along! I bet it's tons and tons of fun, all the time fun! People never get tired of renovating houses! It's the best.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:35 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Another one that I just thought of... Painting natural rocks and brick.

My parents have a house with a brick fireplace in the living room. They don't use it, but obviously the previous owners did and had draw problems with the chimney. When we moved in, someone had painted the bricks gunmetal gray. It was hideous. My parents didn't want to tear down the fireplace, so they painted white over it figuring it couldn't get any uglier.

Just up the street from them, there's a house on top of a fairly steep hillside. The hillside is terraced, with a bunch of retaining walls at different elevations made of rows of stacked boulders. The boulders are about waist height and arranged in an interlocking pattern. The lot size in the neighborhood is 1/3rd acre, so there's probably 30-40 boulders total, plus some smaller rocks where the walls taper down at the ends. I figure the owners either sold the house or went insane, because one day I was coming to visit and (I kid you not) the owners had painted all the rocks in an alternating pattern of black and white. It looks like huge lines of mutated checkerboards. I may try and get a picture of it next time I visit.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
See a lot of white ones, never black or patterned. Wierd.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Another one that I just thought of... Painting natural rocks and brick.

My parents have a house with a brick fireplace in the living room. They don't use it, but obviously the previous owners did and had draw problems with the chimney. When we moved in, someone had painted the bricks gunmetal gray. It was hideous. My parents didn't want to tear down the fireplace, so they painted white over it figuring it couldn't get any uglier.

Just up the street from them, there's a house on top of a fairly steep hillside. The hillside is terraced, with a bunch of retaining walls at different elevations made of rows of stacked boulders. The boulders are about waist height and arranged in an interlocking pattern. The lot size in the neighborhood is 1/3rd acre, so there's probably 30-40 boulders total, plus some smaller rocks where the walls taper down at the ends. I figure the owners either sold the house or went insane, because one day I was coming to visit and (I kid you not) the owners had painted all the rocks in an alternating pattern of black and white. It looks like huge lines of mutated checkerboards. I may try and get a picture of it next time I visit.
I think this would give me a migraine! Yikes!

Of course, there's an otherwise nice stone ranch-style house in my city whose shutters, doors, and trim are all painted bright Barbie-doll pink. As are the garden shed and fence.

Makes me want to find a life-sized Barbie, dress her in a ubiquitous pink ball gown, and surprise the householders with a "visitor" in their front yard some morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House