Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 PM

361 posts, read 737,111 times

Advertisements

Have a one-room addition on the back of this small 1950s house that is not air conditioned. It has jalousie windows so I think a window unit would not work, ditto for a portable A/C like a Pinguino. Also, there is no vent connecting to the rest of the house, which is air conditioned. This year I want to find a solution... any suggestions? Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 03:59 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Sorry to say you're probably not going to like my solution. I would replace the existing windows with ones which weren't an air leak nightmare and then choose the most appropriate air conditioner for the size of the room - taking into account the cost and how much use I plan to get out of the room during air conditioning season. To me, those windows aren't that much better than no windows, other than providing some rain protection.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
Have a one-room addition on the back of this small 1950s house...
...there is no vent connecting to the rest of the house, which is air conditioned.
It has jalousie windows

... any suggestions?
Odds are that the rest of the duct work in that 1950's is dated.

WHEN you update your equipment re-make the truck ducts, size everything based
on current use/need, add what registers/vents are needed for the converted patio...
and (as noted) plan/expect to replace those windows then too.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
Search google.com for the words...

split system AC

Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Mini-split.
How to Install a Mini-Split Air Conditioner | Video | This Old House

Old 03-16-2014, 03:30 PM

Thank you for the responses.
I think the mini split is a good option.
So much needs to be done here... yes, the windows!
These houses used to have oil heat but most converted to gas.
Mine is baseboard heat with gas boiler thus no vents.
Before I bought it, central air was installed...but they did not extend it to the addition!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
These houses used to have oil heat but most converted to gas.
Mine is baseboard heat with gas boiler thus no vents.
Before I bought it, central air was installed...but they did not extend it to the addition!
It sounds like the addition was meant to be more like a "sunroom", rather than a 4 season room. Don't be surprised if you find the addition has no insulation.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
It sounds like the addition was meant to be more like a "sunroom", rather than a 4 season room. Don't be surprised if you find the addition has no insulation.
Yes, sun room or Florida room... right now it is the cat's room, storage, and plants. It feels like an oven in midsummer even though it faces north.
I have also had the recommendation of go ahead and purchase the Pinguino or the like... and drill a hole in the wall for the vent hose.
I am not sure that any part of this house has much if any insulation. It was built in 1952. Another project is to replace the insulation in the crawl space as it was installed upside down.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
It's amazing how many southern "screened porches" were converted into a sunroom with windows. Screened porches are great. You can sit outside, enjoy fresh air on a sunny day, and not have to deal with the biting bugs. Once you enclose it, there's no ventilation to keep it cool. Adding ducts from the existing central air unit could be too much for the unit. The size of the unit may not be able to handle the added capacity. A window unit and new weather stripping is the cheapest option. I'd spend a little more and get a heat pump unit to provide some heat in the winter. You being in Florida generally means mild winters so a heat pump would be fine for occasional use. Another thing to consider is solar screens and or heat reflective window tint. I'd also consider adding some sort of heat exhaust ventilation.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,356 times
Why not look into one of these units. It mounts on a wall, is remote controlled, and won't block a window.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House