Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Many of the books are history books and were from my husband's work (retired college prof). He retired about the time I was in grad school and was planning on using them for my research. Then I inherited many from my grandmother-not to mention the ones that we both bought over the years. Most of them were read-but not all. And it is not so much of the books are worth a lot of $$$ but this house. I am turning this house into a showplace. So far, everyone who has seen it has remarked on the kitchen ceiling. To me, that is the crowning jewel of this house.

Oh, here is a pic of the dinning room. The rug wasn't down yet when I took the shot but you can see my chandeliers. I was a bit disappointed that they weren't bigger-in terms of wider but I do love them.

Cat
When you told us which chandeliers you had ordered, I thought they seemed a bit small, but since you had more than one, I didn't say anything. I think they look fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Cat- is your trim painted brown or is that the natural wood?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Many of the books are history books and were from my husband's work (retired college prof). He retired about the time I was in grad school and was planning on using them for my research. Then I inherited many from my grandmother-not to mention the ones that we both bought over the years. Most of them were read-but not all. And it is not so much of the books are worth a lot of $$$ but this house. I am turning this house into a showplace. So far, everyone who has seen it has remarked on the kitchen ceiling. To me, that is the crowning jewel of this house.

Oh, here is a pic of the dinning room. The rug wasn't down yet when I took the shot but you can see my chandeliers. I was a bit disappointed that they weren't bigger-in terms of wider but I do love them.

Cat
I understand the attachment to books very well. Over the years we've pared down, but we still ended up with a whole wall of books when we moved a few weeks ago -thank goodness the wall already had built in shelves! And this was AFTER we got rid of boxes of books!

I LOVE your chandeliers. I really like the finish on them. I see what you mean about them being a bit smallish, but since there are two of them, I think they're fine. I wouldn't have even noticed the size of them if you hadn't mentioned it - I would have still been admiring that finish and shape.

Your place is really coming together nicely!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Thanks, everyone. We still have so much more to do. It is never ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Cat- is your trim painted brown or is that the natural wood?
Unfortunately, it is painted. We tried to strip (Chapter 9 video) but it was a lot of work not to mention cost. So, we chose a dark brown (French Roast) to match the bannister on the stairs. It looks good but we would much rather have had all the woodwork stained.

Cat

Old 07-08-2014, 04:14 PM

We decided to hire the guy to to build the book shelves.

Sent a nasty gram to our contractor. He told us that he was going to come over today but he was a no-show. We appreciate all that he has done for us BUT we still need him. We understand that he has other work to do but there is still a lot here, too. And the insurance company is threatening to cancel our homeowner's insurance because the outside clapboards are NOT finished which our contractor was supposed to do MONTHS ago.

Cat

Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
A no-show and probably not a call either telling you he wouldn't be there. Typical. If you've already paid for the clapboard work and it isn't finished, I'd be asking for a refund so I could hire someone who would actually do the work they say they'll do. Sounds like the bloom is off the rose for your contractor. I'm sorry you're going through this. Home renovations are frustrating and wear on your nerves after a while.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone. We still have so much more to do. It is never ending.

Unfortunately, it is painted. We tried to strip (Chapter 9 video) but it was a lot of work not to mention cost. So, we chose a dark brown (French Roast) to match the bannister on the stairs. It looks good but we would much rather have had all the woodwork stained.

Cat
I am discovering that here! I thought " oh ill strip the trim" but its going to be a lot!! Would it be silly to strip living and dining and paint the rest ya think?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 AM

Contractor is here now. We pay him for work done. We are all caught up paying him for the work he has already done. We have not paid him for work that he hasn't done.

Cat

Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 PM

I feel like things have been put on hold here. We are waiting for our bookshelves to be made. Once those get built and installed, then we can get the books taken care of. We are also waiting for the hardware to be put on the kitchen cabinetry & the built-in. Once that is done, then we can start putting stuff away that belongs in the built-in. We are also waiting for the pantry to be taken care of. Again, stuff is waiting to go into it but we can't do that until it gets taken care of.

In the meanwhile, I know there is still other things to do but I have just been so lazy.

Cat

Old 04-24-2016, 10:30 AM

I just realized that I having posted my last two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShNj8Teyws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap0Cuohppqs

Sometimes when I watching the very first video, it is hard to believe it the same house I am living in now. She certainly has come a long way but there is still so much to do-the garage, the downstairs bathroom and a few minor things-which I'm hoping to get both done this year but I don't know. I would LOVE to put molding up in the living room & dining room but that has to wait until I win the lottery. lol.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House