Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times

Advertisements

I doo some do-it-yourself projects around the house periodically. Typically it's sporadic, I may go months and not do anything and then only do something very simple like reinforcing or refreshing something already there. Thus, usually my needs aren't great, but lately I've doing a lot more and wondering if maybe it's time to get a cordless drill to keep those cords out of my way. I tend to do more "driving" in screws vs actually drilling, unless I "pre-drill" a hole so that a screw goes in easier.

If I elect to get a cordless drill, what voltage do I want to look for in order to have decent battery life and power that won't make me significantly miss the corded drills I have? Any other tips to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Since you don't use the dril for long periods you will want to get a "Lithium Ion" type as they hold charge much better than the older NiCad or Nickle Hydride. 18 volt is pretty much the standard. I would not pay extra for 22volt, but if you find a deal on those with such a rating (or higher) then you might as well consider it.

Bosch seems to have the best combination of real grunt and most compact design -- http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DDS181-0...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM

501 posts, read 932,637 times
My experience is the best way to avoid missing the corded drills is to use a corded drill.

Cordless drills may work well if you use and charge them daily. If you go months between projects they may be more hassle than they are worth unless you are really good about charging and maintaining them.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:05 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I do some do-it-yourself projects around the house periodically.
Typically it's sporadic, I may go months and not do anything...
...wondering if maybe it's time to get a cordless drill to keep those cords out of my way.
I'll say no. Corded 120V tools cost less and are more powerful.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
As with any cordless tool/device, the higher the voltage, the higher the heat it produces. The higher the heat, the less "life" the battery will have.

For what you do and the amount of use a cordless drill/driver would see, you would probably be better off with a 12 or 14.4 niCad type tool. The lower voltage would give you a longer overall life and the price would be better justified for your intended use.

I use a Dewalt 18v drill/driver almost everyday in some fashion or another. Battery packs last about 1.5yrs- that when I start to notice run-times falling off. I'm on my second set of cells in 2yrs.; when these start fading the driver will probably start fading also. Then I look at replacing both.
I also have 12 and 14.4v drill/drivers at home that are strictly for those odd jobs around the house. Those cells have lasted about 5yrs- but are showing signs of depleted run times.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:55 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
I have tried all the big name brands except Hilti. Ridgid's x4 hyper li-ion set is the best I have tried and owned. Its a bit more expensive but has the best warranty (lifetime: even batteries) so if you keep it it actually becomes less expensive than competing brands. I did not have a need for the impact driver so I sold that. They have sets with fewer tools,but, the saws are worth the price even if you use a multi-function drill the most. Amazing tools with great batteries that hold a charge. I did buy a better storage kit with bit, blade and fastener storage. Li-ion technology has come a long way for sure.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 AM

87 posts, read 210,506 times
Default Stick to a Corded Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I doo some do-it-yourself projects around the house periodically. Typically it's sporadic, I may go months and not do anything and then only do something very simple like reinforcing or refreshing something already there. Thus, usually my needs aren't great, but lately I've doing a lot more and wondering if maybe it's time to get a cordless drill to keep those cords out of my way. I tend to do more "driving" in screws vs actually drilling, unless I "pre-drill" a hole so that a screw goes in easier.

If I elect to get a cordless drill, what voltage do I want to look for in order to have decent battery life and power that won't make me significantly miss the corded drills I have? Any other tips to consider?
Odd you ask. My brother is the best handyman around his house. He does all sorts of things and even is restoring two cars. Well, I visited him recently and, although he still had some battery powered tools, he said they were too much trouble. They always seem to need charging and you need to have the charger and alway keep it handy.

I feel he is right and plan to change from my battery powered tools to corded ones. This can be done gradually and giving priority to the ones where the battery is the most trouble, as in when I can't find the right charger or it is too heavy.

The latter point is one that I did not figure on. Sometimes the batteries on these tools are heavier than the tools themselves, or so it seems. That makes it hard to work where you need to hold the tool up or work for a long time.

Just my opinion of course.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:25 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
We have 4 Craftsman cordless drills, two angled and two straight, and they all are on 18 volt lithium batteries. We keep the batteries on their chargers all the time and get amazing amounts of run time on each one before it needs charged. We also have corded drills but always reach for the cordless ones unless we are drilling something really tough, like a big hole saw, that might damage the cordless ones.

I know there are lots of other brands out there, and Craftsman tools are not what they once were, but these drills have actually been very good and durable.

Don

Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Add in another vote for corded for all the reasons stated above.

But, if you absolutely Must have cordless and from the sound of your use, you only really need a lightweight drill/driver. If you don't have a corded/real drill first, get one, but I've been nothing but pleased with my Bosch units ~ Amazon.com: Bosch CLPK27-120 12-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 2-Tool Combo Kit (Drill/Driver and Impact Driver) with 2 Batteries, Charger and Case: Home Improvement I've had them for about 6~7 years now and the strong points are that the batteries hold a charge very well for months on end, charge quickly and the units are smaller/lighter without sacrificing too much on power. I use mine mostly for motorcycle mechanics where I'm frequently taking off 400 screws to remove motorcycle bodywork but have used them for drilling through ceramic tile to mount shower rods, as well as wood and a Little bit of metal drilling. It's really best as a bit driver, and I've used it to drywall, even through cement backer board in showers. Those times when I don't want to deal with my 400lb gorilla of a corded drill or can't physically get it into the space needed.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Cord, not cordless

20 years from now, your corded drill will still work fine.

A few years from now, your cordless drill will need a new battery. And, you will find: "We don't don't make that anymore, everyone has moved on to [insert latest technology here]. So, now you own a paperweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House