Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Interesting information.
I am going to check on my unit to see if it has the inverter and what its low temp is.
We have it going to natural gas at 45 (or 40?) and i wonder if its more economical to set that lower.
It depends entirely on your heat pump. Odds are if the system was installed with backup heat to kick on at 45 degrees, it's because it's not an inverter driven system. Otherwise, the installer didn't know what he was doing. These types of units only became popular recently and they're quite a bit more expensive at the outset. That said, there's little economic justification for installing the older type of system in most climates today, but they're still being sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie 1970 View Post
the guy that put in has been here twice.he said free on ran out again this time ,it happens in the winter times,.....
He's full of **** to put it bluntly, that's a closed system. You have a leak somewhere, that's their responsibility to fix the leak and recharge the system on a new install.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-19-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 02:17 PM

592 posts, read 1,478,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
It depends entirely on your heat pump. Odds are if the system was installed with backup heat to kick on at 45 degrees, it's because it's not an inverter driven system. Otherwise, the installer didn't know what he was doing. These types of units only became popular recently and they're quite a bit more expensive at the outset. That said, there's little economic justification for installing the older type of system in most climates today, but they're still being sold.
I looked up my specs, and my HP is good to 25 degrees.

One could argue that the cost of my heatpump + new furnace is probably higher than your single inverter driven system, but I am very happy with the dual fuel hybrid system. (I can see in areas where gas lines are not in the neighborhood it would be a great way to go!)

Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
If you bought a Goodman/Amana.... just wait a few years. It will get expensive, pretty quickly.

My new Carrier Performance series HP doesn't run non-stop, but it consistently holds temp and runs very little. We've been in low double to single digit temps for over a week now and have only cut the fireplace on once.... Our bill has dropped by over 20% per month after installing the new unit. (Our January bill this year is 54% lower than our January bill in 2014) We don't use heat strips either.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If you bought a Goodman/Amana.... just wait a few years. It will get expensive, pretty quickly.

My new Carrier Performance series HP doesn't run non-stop, but it consistently holds temp and runs very little. We've been in low double to single digit temps for over a week now and have only cut the fireplace on once.... Our bill has dropped by over 20% per month after installing the new unit. (Our January bill this year is 54% lower than our January bill in 2014) We don't use heat strips either.

Ha... I know I took a chance. Researched the heck out of it.

The quotes I got for Amana vs Carrier, was they Carrier prices were 50% higher, did not match the specs and features (Amana top to Carrier middle) and the Amana came with a 10yr warranty.
So went with Amana... so far workign out great.

"Holds temp and runs very little" probably has more to do with the insulation in the home?

Old 10-24-2015, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
Fan keeps running on furnace .temp set at 72 inside temp 77. Thermostat kicks on and off but fan still. Could relay be bad

Old 10-24-2015, 11:00 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcornell49 View Post
Fan keeps running on furnace .temp set at 72 inside temp 77. Thermostat kicks on and off but fan still. Could relay be bad
My thermostat has in addition to a heating or cooling function, a setting for "fan". You either select automatic or on. If it is set at automatic, it comes on only when needed - automatically.

Did you check to see if someone accidentally changed the fan setting?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
just learned that the Amana inverter systems were just release in 2015. I bought in 2014.
That's ok tho.. last winter we didn't notice any temp fluctuations from the one/off. Heck our prior home was all gas that's how it worked for that house (all on/all off). that being said, had it been available I would have considered the feature (depending on cost add-on, which cant be too much).

It can get very cold in Jersey in the winter... lower than 20 (Like last winter)... so I think we'd need the gas furnace in the mix regardless.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times
Last winter we were having serious buyers remorse about our heat pump. We have 3 units-one for upstairs and two for downstairs. The upstairs ran fine. The downstairs on the other hand... It ran and ran and ran and didn't produce heat. We had it set for 70 degrees and when we went down stairs in the morning, the temp was something like 62 degrees or so. The temp would slowly come up during the day but didn't quite reach the 70 degrees it was set at. And our electric bill! One month we had a bill of $1100! It was also a pretty cold winter, too. This summer, we tried turning on the A/C and it got warm. I made a comment that in the winter we should turn on the A/C & the summer we should turn on the heat and maybe the temp would be what we want.

We were on the phone with our heating guy. We had problems reaching him-not sure why. He wasn't getting our messages. Once we FINALLY got a hold of him and he came out-he was pretty much here ALL DAY! There were two issues. One issue was the two downstairs units were not talking to each other. The other issue was the fact that one unit had a bad part (this is not the first time that a part needed to be replaced). Our guy changed the way they would work. Before both units would turn on at the same time. He reworked it that when we turn it on, only ONE unit will go on and when the temp drops outside and we need more heat, the second one will kick in. That will definitely save us $$$$ because we are not running the two units all the time.

So far, so good. The downstairs unit is working the way it should and our electric bill is reasonable. But, we still don't know about that second unit. It still isn't repaired (waiting for the part) and the temp hasn't been too cold-YET! Fingers crossed.

Cat

Old 02-07-2016, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveair View Post
I am a highly skilled hvac tech 28 yrs experience I have run into this issue with new Honeywell digital status have found stat set at 70 room temp reading 70 yet "heat on" is still present I have replaced stat w a different model stat and still have same problem been through entire system it's brand new everything is working properly when u push set point 1 degree it shuts down have called Honeywell and they have no answer for me anyone else have this issue
I just installed a Bryant unit and added a vision pro 8000 and I have the same problem...Have you figured it out yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House