Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
As someone broke into my shed I am interested into security cams. Do they exist wireless?

What would you recommend?
I'd use a hunters game camera that is battery operated. I saw a nice one at Costco for $99 that had HD images that would be just what you could use in the shed.

However for a business or home you might want to think about other items.

Both Fry’s Electronics and Costco stores have online services and provide security cameras. Costco always have an excellent return policy if you find you don’t like the item or have a problem with it, and their prices are normally better than most.

I’ve seen a number of security cameras that stated “wireless” however they still require a/c power to be supplied for the transformer so wireless isn’t always what you might think.

Fry's Home Electronics | Computer Parts & Accessories, Software, Games, TVs, Cameras - Frys.com

Welcome to Costco Wholesale

A lot of what you need will depend on how you’re going to use them. You might need more than one or two cameras, I started out with a four camera DVD unit and liked it so well I added an additional four more for better and total coverage of the area of concern. Think it through first so you don’t make a mistake with something you don’t need or isn’t working out as well as you’d like.

I personally wanted cameras over an alarm system that was monitored with a monthly fee. With what I’ve saved over the monthly fees have paid for the cameras and the DVD unit. A picture from a camera is worth more than an alarm system. When the alarm system goes off, the bad guy knows it will take at least five minutes or more for the police to arrive, so they’re in and out quickly. The camera and DVD already has their picture for the police so they know who they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 AM

600 posts, read 1,925,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
I bought one of the Logitech ones from Crutchfield, and they are well reviewed. But, you need a PC so that is something to consider.
Logitech Alert - Video Surveillance Systems - Security for Home & Business
So you had to lay cables all over the house? That is the one thing I want to avoid

Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Easiest to set up and then check recordings (after the fact) is game cams. They also can be stolen if you don't place them out of reach. IP cams are harder to set up, but you can record away from the cam, so if it gets taken you still have the evidence. Game cams and dash cams are more reliable IME.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,213,243 times
Walmart has security camera systems too...

Old 03-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
As someone broke into my shed I am interested into security cams. Do they exist wireless?

What would you recommend?
How far away is the shed from the house?

Wireless Driveway Alert & Driveway Alarm System

This unit can be placed inside the shed and if someone goes inside it will signal the other unit in the house. I think they're max is 400 ft range. I have several of these units and they work well for my needs. Very sensitive infrared motion detection unit that signals "wireless" to the receiver in the house. If you're home, you'll know if someone is messing around in the shed. Oh, the units are battery operated and good for about 6 to 8 months before they need to be replaced.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,607,375 times
If your shed is within a reasonable distance, there are short and long-range driveway alarms that will inform you if somebody goes inside.

Quote:
Harry, which one would be the easiest to check the recordings?
I guess most need a power source even if they are wireless. Am I right?
Yes, everything needs a power source. Some will run off 12V battery (e.g. car battery), and there are game cameras that can use a solar panel as a supplementary power source to extend battery life.

If money is no object, several "game camera" makers have models which send snapshots via MMS over cellular. So you are buying an expensive camera, and then paying a monthly service fee on top.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 PM

200 posts, read 615,542 times
Foscam has cameras that will send a picture to your cellphone when there is motion and has a speaker in them so you can tell the burglar to leave the premises, and you can also hear him through the built in mic. with no monthly charge.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,724,778 times
Lorex Real Time Wireless Add-on Night Vision Camera 2-Pack

Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 PM

^^^ The Lorex looks great and would work in many locations but requires an a/c power outlet for the transformer. The wifi signal saves running coax or wire back to the DVR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House