Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,938 times

Advertisements

First and formost you need to get insurance even before the alarm system. Why, because even with an alarm, video camera system you will still can be burlarized. Other posters have described burglars going in ignoring the alarm and taking items and being out in 5 min.

The next thing you need to do is write down both the model and serial numbers of your items when you get back on your feet with new stuff.

Become great friends with neighbors on both sides of you or at least attempt to. Get their phone numbers and give them yours if you think they are trustworthy. Start a neighborhood block watch and figure out who the good guys and bad guys are in your neighborhood via internet databases.

Start looking for your stuff on Craigslist and Ebay and local pawn shops. Don't plan on receiving any follow up by the Police it just won't happen in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,735,966 times
I see Strikemaster mentioned and after seeing this will try to get this on my doors before the same thing happens.
What can you do about glass patio doors?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Get the rolling shutters but it's not cheap. Here's some examples. Just a place I came across doing a search.Rolling Shutters and Drop Shades | SUMMER SPECIALS | Residential and Commercial Rolling Shutters and Drop Shades |

Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Clear Mylar blast shields for the Patio doors.. They are put on the inside with a frame that goes onto your existing door frame, they are crystal clear so you can see out and in them, or they have the smoked ones that make it hard to see in, they will hold up even if the windows are knocked out.. AND they probably cost less than the roll up shutters and look a hell of a lot better....

Old 04-01-2014, 07:08 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Of course there's always Rover. I wonder if dog owners homes have a lower burglary rate?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Looking for the best (non-monthly charged ADT nonsense) house securing self-setup available...enormous blazing siren of an alarm, cameras etc.
Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times
First- Sorry for the intrusion of your sanctuary; I understand how it feels.

I like the Simplisafe or similar that would alert ME, not an alarm company.

I have cameras all around but you need a recorder (DVR) that is not also easily stolen; you can't keep people from breaking in but you Can see who did it.

And mount a couple cameras LOW so you don't just see the top of a hoodie (like on all those store cams).

Don't take it personal; dirtbags just don't wanna work for what they get..

Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Clear Mylar blast shields for the Patio doors.. They are put on the inside with a frame that goes onto your existing door frame, they are crystal clear so you can see out and in them, or they have the smoked ones that make it hard to see in, they will hold up even if the windows are knocked out.. AND they probably cost less than the roll up shutters and look a hell of a lot better....

post info if you actually have it.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Not to beat you down further because being robbed really sucks, but how do you not have insurance?
Yes and if I remember correctly, the OP has mentioned in the past he has properties around town. I only have a 2 bedroom condo but every room in my condo is covered by insurance.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 AM

200 posts, read 271,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
SimpliSafe looks good.

One final component I would want is a front door video camera and intercom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of: