Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 PM

246 posts, read 467,396 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please explain what the difference is between these?

-I want something that is the least of a maintenance *****. Im confused as to the difference between asphalt, blacktop and tar/chip.

But it appears asphalt is the least of the maintenance whores. Am I right?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Asphalt is a specific kind of bituminous material that together with chipped / crushed rock (or other substrate) is used for "blacktop".

Tar is another word that describe the gooey black component of asphalt.

Really no honest paving contractor would say there is any difference inn these terms.

When it comes to "seal coating" there are different materials that may have components more from the latex / elastomeric range of compounds vs the "oil by product" range...

If you don't want to have to do some kind of maintenance on a fairly regular basis (depends on climate and degree of wear...) you should look at concrete or paver stones instead...

Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks. I think I understand.

I like the idea of pavers but having seen issues with my parents, I'm less inclined to do so.

Concrete did appeal to us as well, but aren't cracks a bigger issue to deal with than if it occurred with asphalt?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
Im confused as to the difference between asphalt, blacktop and tar/chip.
Asphalt and blacktop are the same thing.

tar and chip is something else.

Cool Hand Luke 'Tar Sequence' / News Theme - YouTube

Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Proper concrete installation is way more than some dude pumping the mix on the ground. There are sidewalks that are 40+ years old near me that are free of visible cracks / shifts because the folks installing them made sure there was adequate site prep -- no nearby tree roots, a nice base of compacted crushed stone to allow for drainage, forms of the proper depth, reinforcing "mesh" to resist slab shifting, skilled finishers that know how to use a "seaming tool" to allow for crack relief...

Concrete is premier surface for driveways and provides the greater longevity with least maintenance, though it is more costly than asphalt...

Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Concrete is premier surface for driveways and provides the greater longevity with least maintenance, though it is more costly than asphalt...
It's also most appropriate (at most homes) when limited to the parking pad.
The driveway itself, especially when fairly long, should be a rain water permeable surface.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,722,266 times
Tar-and-chip Surface Is A Driveway Option

Tar-and-chip Surface Is A Driveway Option - Chicago Tribune

Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM

592 posts, read 1,468,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
I like the idea of pavers but having seen issues with my parents, I'm less inclined to do so.
Pavers... its an install issue if it didnt work out. the pavers are only as good as the foundation under them.

Idont remember the details, but a normal base is something like 10 inches of crushed concrete. When it gets tamped down (gas powered tamper) it becomes solid. Then I think a thin layer of sand goes in for the pavers to set into.

If done properly, the pavers will be rock steady and as solid as a foot of concrete.

The problem is, too many Do-it-yourselfers think they can go to the local home improvement store, buy some concrete blocks, and throw into a 2 inch cut out in the lawn.

yea... thats not going to work.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's also most appropriate (at most homes) when limited to the parking pad.
The driveway itself, especially when fairly long, should be a rain water permeable surface.

This is not my DIY project. I'll be making the treehouse and other indoor projects this year as well as enjoying my kids this summer.

So I do want to pay for the longest lasting. I'd say a little over half the driveway is flat and the rest is the downslope.

Judging from the comments here, now I'm wondering if I should just so asphalt on the slope and concrete otherwise....

Thanks for all the considerations. I truly appreciate the advice

Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,459,056 times
Asphalt (blacktop) requires regular sealing in order to keep it from breaking down in most areas.

How To Seal Coat A Driveway DIY. Asphalt Blacktop Pavement - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House