Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
Also thoughts on insulation? Worth it?

Only if you plan on heating it. But that openings awhole 'nother ball of wax! Namely, condensation and rust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM

628 posts, read 2,045,076 times
Ok so then I could afford to go with the larger size if not insulating.

What do you think on doors--I was looking at two two overhead (on openers) 12' in height and 10 feet wide.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Ok so then I could afford to go with the larger size if not insulating.

What do you think on doors--I was looking at two two overhead (on openers) 12' in height and 10 feet wide.

Well, if you drop the extra living room and family room you could afford the bigger size AND the insulation. Hell, you might even be able to do a concrete slab!!!

The doors sound good if you're doing a 14' ceiling.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
This is why I refuse to buy even a garden shed. I've seen too many people where it's the start of a vicious cycle. First, you build storage for the stuff you have. Then, because you have extra space, you buy more stuff (or don't getting rid of stuff). Repeat until someday in the future your heirs have a really big estate sale so that people with recently built pole barns can fill them.

Very true.

People I know built a beautiful house on the edge of a small town with a 3 car garage.

They then built another garage that has 4 garage doors and an extra space w/o a door.

He recently complained he needs more room.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:12 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
When I first built mine, I had a dirt floor and no insulation.

The floor had real dampness issues. White mildew stuff growing in non-traffic patterns. It also caused a bunch of rust on what was stored inside. Once I installed concrete, those issues went away.

I then partitioned off 2 areas with each being 16x27' and insulated walls and ceiling. Now, those areas stay above freezing in temps of about 10° and higher without turning the heaters on.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Oh it is already going to be on concrete either way--was just trying to decide on insulation or not.
It is going to be storage for a camper and two vehicles and then garden stuff like a lawnmower etc.

We will have a 3 car attached to the house.

I was wondering the pros of having insulation if not heated?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM

Insulate!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Do you think Insulation is good even with no plans to heat RyanR?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Do you think Insulation is good even with no plans to heat RyanR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Only if you plan on heating it. But that openings awhole 'nother ball of wax! Namely, condensation and rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I then partitioned off 2 areas with each being 16x27' and insulated walls and ceiling. Now, those areas stay above freezing in temps of about 10° and higher without turning the heaters on.
I found insulating works well for me. It stays warmer than outside in the winter and cooler in the summer. With the insulation, it removes the drastic temp changes during the day. Condensation is an issue at times if there's a huge difference between the temp inside and outside then you open up the doors and the sudden change gets condensation on things. If your building is not insulated but the inside/outside temps are different, you'll have the same issue.

I'd like K'ledgeBldr to hop in here as well since he's mentioned insulating as being an issue.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 PM

A lot of the why's and why not's are geographically dependent. But, as a general rule I've found this to be consistant:

Metal buildings (steel framed commercial or pole barn type) that are insulated (and I'll use that term loosely) benefit from "radiant" heat encapsulated or repelled. Encapsulated because of a heat source within the building; and repelled because of the Sun beating on it.

The problem is condensation. Warm air on one side of the steel sheathing, cold air on the other. Remember that statement about using the term "insulated" loosely? Well, a "correctly" installed insulation blanket can eliminate this problem. But, it's very hard to get a 100% correct install. Hell, it's hard to get a 85% install correct!

Then you add a concrete slab that isn't insulated- that's right, you read that correctly. INSULATED SLAB. Ever seen a slab "sweat"? It isn't really "sweating"- that's condensation forming on the surface because of the difference in air temp and slab temp. I've seen enough condensation form on a slab in a building that it actually puddled. So, not only is there a vapor barrier but polystyrene in the base as well.

Here's a little extra read-
http://www.naima.org/publications/MB316.PDF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House