Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,383,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A lot of the why's and why not's are geographically dependent. But, as a general rule I've found this to be consistant:

Metal buildings (steel framed commercial or pole barn type)
Thanks KL and I agree condensation/insulation is more of a major consideration on a metal building. Most I know that are doing steel buildings use the spray type insulation which is expensive but works very nicely.

I "assumed" this was going to be a more traditional pole building type construction (posts, purlins, T-111 or HardyPanel equivalent which is a superior product IMHO, trusses with shingle roof).

From what I gathered from the users other posts, location appears to be Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 AM

628 posts, read 2,036,435 times
Yes Indiana. Here are some of the stats. We are now leaning towards insulating the roof and leaving the walls to be done later if we decide to.

BUILDING DIMENSIONS AND DESIGN
One (1) P-6 Series Building 30' x 48' x 15' {14' interior}
Dig Holes and Set Columns 4' Below Grade with Concrete Footer under all Columns
3 Ply 2" x 6" Laminated Side Wall Columns {Treated below grade} Spaced at 6' O.C.
3 Ply 2" x 6" Laminated End Wall Columns {Treated below grade}
One Row of 2" x 10" Treated Skirt Board at Exterior Base
2" x 4" Sidewall Nailers and 2" x 6" Beveled Board on Eaves
30' Trusses {4/12 Pitch} Spaced at 6' O.C. {Engineered Truss System with Designed Ceiling Load}
Trusses to be Notched into Wall Columns and attached with screw fasteners, Total Design Load 39#
2" x 4" Roof Purlins Spaced at 24" O.C. on Top of Trusses
Wind Load Bracing on Roof, Side Wall Corners, and Lateral Runs

Included STEEL SIDING MATERIALS
MESA Ultra Galvalume 29 ga. Siding, Trims & painted fasteners with Kynar 500 paint coating
{Our heat treated full hard high tensile (80,000 psi) steel panel is 128% stronger
than the commonly used 26 ga. Soft tensile (50,000 psi), providing a stronger system}
Galvalume Substrate is a blend of Zinc (43.5%) and Aluminum (55%) for Maximum Performance
{Galvalume's performance is so superior to a Galvanized substrate that it is warranted
against rupture, perforation (rust through), or failure due to corrosion. Galvanized is not}
Kynar 500 Coating Maximizes Protection against Surface Chalk and Fade
{keeping your investment looking great for years to come}
The MESA Panel has a Unique Profile Design with Patent Pending Protection
{MESA's nearly invisible lap is attractive and forms a tighter seam to protect your investment from the elements}

Included STEEL ROOFING MATERIALS
MESA Ultra Galvalume 29 ga. Roofing and Trims with Kynar 500 paint coating
{MESA's Lap corrugation creates a stronger roofing panel than most commonly used panels}
Our "Cool Roofing Systems" are Energy Star Compliant and The Most Energy Efficient
{Cool roofing is highly reflective which means it is highly energy efficient for a greener roof solution saving

Included RIDGE VENTILATION
Continuous Cobra Weather-Tite Ridge Ventilation

Included OVERHANGS
12" Side Overhangs with Matrix Ultra Galvalume 29 ga. Sectional Steel Soffit
12" End Overhangs with Matrix Ultra Galvalume 29 ga. Sectional Steel Soffit

Included WALK DOORS & ACCESSORIES
1 EA 3'-0" x 6'-8" Series Heavy Duty Insulated (Polyurethane Foam Core R11.53) Steel Service Door
Including 4" Stainless Steel Hardware with Weather Seals and Heavy Duty Steel Jamb

Included OVERHEAD DOOR SYSTEMS & ACCESSORIES
2 EA 12' x 12' Insulated Overhead Door(s) {White}

1440 SQ FT 4" Interior Concrete 5 1/2 bg. Gravel Mix with Fiber
Machine Finish with Control Joints to Industry Standards

Below is the optional insulation

INTERIOR STEEL AND INSULATION LINER PACKAGE
1,440 SQ FT Ceiling Liner Package Includes 4 mil Visqueen Vapor Barrier on Ceiling Area
Covered with Premium Commercial Grade White 29 ga. Steel Interior Liner Panel
on Ceiling Area with Blown Insulation Providing {R38}

Wall Liner Package Includes 2" x 4" Horizontal Framing {Treated at Base Perimeter}
4 mil Visqueen Vapor Barrier on Walls with 6" Textrafine Unfaced Insulation Providing {R19}
Covered with Premium Commercial Grade White 29 ga. Steel Interior Liner Panel on Wall Area
Cutouts in Steel Liner Will Incur Additional Cost {Recommend Surface Mounting Electrical}

Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 AM

Looks like a good plan.

I don't have much experience with steel buildings but 29 gauge sounds pretty thin to me, especially on walls that may receive impacts.

I didn't see any floor drains in the plan.

Gutters?

Any concrete apron around the outside?

Old 04-12-2014, 12:18 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,140,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
This is why I refuse to buy even a garden shed. I've seen too many people where it's the start of a vicious cycle. First, you build storage for the stuff you have. Then, because you have extra space, you buy more stuff (or don't getting rid of stuff). Repeat until someday in the future your heirs have a really big estate sale so that people with recently built pole barns can fill them.
Truth!!! When I bought my house ten years ago, I had a 2 car garage with a lean-to type shed addition. I thought, wow, I'll rent out the second bay!!! Yepper. I'm lucky I have room to park the Subi and get out.

The more space you have, the more stuff you will collect to fill it to bursting.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM

yes we are opting for gutters (I forgot to put that on there)
I don't believe there would be floor drains? What would those be for? We don't have them in garages so maybe I am not thinking of something?

What is a concrete apron?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:18 PM

On the floor drains, you taper your concrete slightly to drains that are in the floor. The water then drains out via some pipes below the concrete. Easiest example for comparison is to think of a self-service car wash. There's a drain in the center (under your vehicle when you're washing). The floor is tapered to have the water go to that drain. A drain in a building doesn't have much taper compared to a car wash but that's the idea.

A concrete apron is just a couple feet of concrete on the outside of the building. Below is a picture as an example. Makes a nice transition to driveway or lawn (on the sides) and tapers slightly so it's a run-off away from the building. If your gutters overflow, the water will splash on the concrete instead of erode the lawn or stone beside the building. I also use the side aprons for storing a little firewood and place a couple lawn chairs.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,766,387 times
I would strongly disagree with the truss spacing at 6 foot O.C. That's a stretch here and we don't have snow. I'd certainly ask about what factor they used in figuring the roof load, both wind and snow. I'd be a lot more comfy at 48" spacing than 72". Make them show you the calcs on the roof load, don't just take their word for it.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 AM

thank you for the great explanations on the apron and the drains.

Also thanks to Trapper for the tip on the roof load--i will definitely check that out and perhaps also check it against my other quotes to see what the other companies are offering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House