Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Hi Kathryn,

Congrats on the new place!

I actually like the setup the way it is. Definitely add the built-in hutch or have fun shopping for a huge antique one. They're usually not even that expensive, because it's hard to find buyers for humongous pieces of furniture these days.

The only thing I think you need to do, is change the shape of the island. I think it's the blocky square shape that is all wrong. Especially with the corner sink, which I actually really like, too. I do agree that changing the countertops will be a nice change. And I'd include new lighting fixtures.

What I'm thinking would be nice for the island, is to put a curve to it. If I was in that kitchen, I would want the traffic pattern from the archway, to encourage people to go around my work space. That's why I also like the peninsula. You can be cozy in your work space, tell everybody to stay on the other side of your space, but it's still open enough that you can be part of what's happening.

If there were overhead hanging cupboards above the peninsula, I'd hate it. But, I think the setup is ideal for working.

Here's what I'm thinking on the shape of the island. A curve would be more pleasing to the eye, and if people go rush through that area, they won't get stabbed in the hip with a sharp corner.

These aren't perfect for your space, but use your imagination with the idea of a curved island. One of them even just added a curved countertop to a square island. That would be easy, but I would rather see the island itself be curved.

If you take out the island, and the peninsula, and put a counter and cupboards all along that wall, it's going to look like a long cafeteria buffet line, me thinks.

I know these photos aren't perfect for your space, as I said, but think "curve" to direct your traffic safely around your work space, and to integrate the island into the space in a pleasing, flowing way, rather than have it look like somebody plunked down a block in that space.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 04-09-2014 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 03:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Please document the changes as you update the kitchen - I love watching and remodeling vicariously, though photos!

I love the idea of a built in hutch in the nook. I'd go for something that doesn't look like the cabinets, something that looks more like a piece of furniture.

I'd lean towards keeping the island, but if you feel it would make you feel cramped and confined.. yank it. Love the idea of a decorating tile inset to replace it.
If we close on the house (we're still in the option period but so far all systems are go!) I will definitely keep everyone updated!

I really love the idea of a built in hutch that's different too. I am pretty sure we'll do that, since I'm the decorating boss - LOL!

I think we will probably keep the island if we remove the peninsula - just move it down a bit. My husband just told me a few minutes ago that he just wants to rip up the whole floor and start over - LOL - so it doesn't matter where we put the island. I think it can be shifted down about three feet when we flip the sink to directly below the window and get rid of the bar. Plenty of room there, and I love an island and the set up of the original island (with a different countertop) is really functional and cute - great for cookbooks and a mixer and measuring cups, etc. HEAVEN!

I think with the hutch in place, our storage issues will be solved. Whew - that was disturbing my sleep last night! I will miss my big pantry though...sigh...

I want to splurge on a fabulous farmhouse sink and a really cool faucet. I can cut costs on the flooring to make that up - I just want a neutral sort of tile and countertops and backsplash.

HEY - QUESTION -

Do you think we ought to go with a completely different, and decorative, counter top for the island? That sounds like fun! And it would be easy for anyone to replace when and if we sell.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hi Kathryn,

I actually like the setup the way it is. Definitely add the built-in hutch or have fun shopping for a huge antique one. They're usually not even that expensive, because it's hard to find buyers for humongous pieces of furniture these days.

The only thing I think you need to do, is change the shape of the island. I think it's the blocky square shape that is all wrong. Especially with the corner sink, which I actually really like, too. I do agree that changing the countertops will be a nice change. And I'd include new lighting fixtures.

What I'm thinking would be nice for the island, is to put a curve to it. If I was in that kitchen, I would want the traffic pattern from the archway, to encourage people to go around my work space. That's why I also like the peninsula. You can be cozy in your work space, tell everybody to stay on the other side of your space, but it's still open enough that you can be part of what's happening.

If there were overhead hanging cupboards above the peninsula, I'd hate it. But, I think the setup is ideal for working.

Here's what I'm thinking on the shape of the island. A curve would be more pleasing to the eye, and if people go rush through that area, they won't get stabbed in the hip with a sharp corner.

These aren't perfect for your space, but use your imagination with the idea of a curved island. One of them even just added a curved countertop to a square island. That would be easy, but I would rather see the island itself be curved.

If you take out the island, and the peninsula, and put a counter and cupboards all along that wall, it's going to look like a long cafeteria buffet line, me thinks.

I know these photos aren't perfect for your space, as I said, but think "curve" to direct your traffic safely around your work space, and to integrate the island into the space in a pleasing, flowing way, rather than have it look like somebody plunked down a block in that space.
Quit messing with my head. LOL! No seriously, thank you for the pictures - they are very explanatory.

I think the kitchen is too small with the current bar area...and it may be hard to tell it from the pictures, but an island is just impossible with a bar, even a smaller bar, in that space, jutting out in an L (even a curved L) because it pushes even this very small island to right in front of the stove and dishwasher doors. They open without hitting it, but barely. I think the distance between the counters and the island averages about 33" all the way around. That's tight as heck. It makes the kitchen, which really isn't that small, seem very constricted.

BUT...you're making me think about moving the sink to square below the window (sorry, but with space at a premium, a corner sink is a luxury I may have to forego), we may have room for a smaller bar (narrower) with a curved edge, and then do the hutch thingie in a completely different style, or find a huge antique piece.

But if we do that...I think I will lose the island completely. I think I need to choose between the island and the bar. If we choose the island I will definitely want a curved end on one end, with room for a stool pushed under it. That end should face the nook and windows, and I think that would break up the feeling of one long counter. Plus if we make the hutch a painted piece, looking like a very large piece of furniture (I'm leaning toward having it custom made to maximize usage) that will also break up the sense of one long cafeteria cabinet. I am thinking I need a wooden top on it also - not a counter top. Painted to match the trim, not stained like the cabinets.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
It looks like a workable kitchen to me, especially with the changes you're planning and if you take out the island. I've cooked in a similar kitchen. The trick is to keep your countertop as clear as possible so you have work space. Store minimal linens in the kitchen and put the rest elsewhere. Also pans you don't use daily. Create storage elsewhere for canned goods, paper towels, pasta, etc. Can you fit a cabinet for good china and glassware in another room? If you can get all of that out of the kitchen you should have room for everything you need on a daily basis.
YES! I have a china cabinet that I keep my "good china" in and that will be in the dining room. I just pared down my kitchen linens - I can't believe how much junk I had in those drawers - towels and things that I never use. I can store table cloths and place mats, etc. in the hall linen closet.

I think I can have just my coffee maker, my toaster, my Keurig shelf (small) and three small cannisters out on the counter tops. I can move my fruit bowl to the center of the kitchen table and mount my paper towels under a cabinet.

The only thing I'm worried about is my spices - I have a whole lot of them...

Old 04-09-2014, 04:36 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree, but when I straighten out the sink I think I can move the island down so it's not as congested around the stove and dishwasher. I think I can move it directly across from the sink.

And that way I can get rid of that bar peninsula which is dividing the room. I can't wait to get my husband back over to that house to show him "my" brilliant idea! (Which I got from this forum!)

And I love quartz. We are definitely going to do quartz vs granite. I like the softer color of quartz.

We are redoing our kitchen in our new house (the counters go in on Tuesday). I wanted quartz countertops but believe it or not granite is cheaper. Who knew? So, I hate to say this, I SETTLED for granite. lol.

Just something for you to keep in mind.

Cat

Old 04-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We are redoing our kitchen in our new house (the counters go in on Tuesday). I wanted quartz countertops but believe it or not granite is cheaper. Who knew? So, I hate to say this, I SETTLED for granite. lol.

Just something for you to keep in mind.

Cat
Well, you have a point. We do like natural stone of some sort for counter tops. If I could find a granite that wasn't too "busy" or too vivid a color combination I could go for that. I just don't want a lot of bling in my counter tops. Right now I have granite counter tops and they are black and tan and sort of gold and very "veiny" and I just want QUIET counter tops because I have really cool STUFF - LOL.

There is also the option of recycled crushed glass. Some of that is really, really cool but I have no idea what the price point is.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Hold onto your seats. Concreate countertops are going for $90 to $120 sqft in my area.

Quarts was quoted at $70 sqft. I can get granite for $29 sqft. But I don't like granite.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Don't forget the extra recommended maintenance on granite. Not required with quartz.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hi Kathryn,

Oh my god, I am salivating over that first kitchen.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hold onto your seats. Concreate countertops are going for $90 to $120 sqft in my area.

Quarts was quoted at $70 sqft. I can get granite for $29 sqft. But I don't like granite.
I am so worn out on granite. I am probably just not going to do it for that reason alone. I think that quartz is easier to maintain too. Or that recycled glass. You can get that in just about any color or even texture! I am getting more interested in that by the minute...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House