Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am so worn out on granite. I am probably just not going to do it for that reason alone. I think that quartz is easier to maintain too. Or that recycled glass. You can get that in just about any color or even texture! I am getting more interested in that by the minute...
Don't be surprised if it ends up more expensive than quartz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't be surprised if it ends up more expensive than quartz.
I KNOW!!!!! I am scared. I may just do quartz. Like the recycled glass, you can get it in so many different hues. I like the slight iridescence to both the quartz and the recycled glass.

I need more advice! I think I am going to do an island now that I'm moving the sink around to below the window. It won't be large. I think it might be cool to have that top in a different finish, because when we resell it will only be a small space that whoever buys may have to change out to suit their colors.

The walls are a light cream. The cabinets are a sort of hickory color. The appliances are stainless. Lots of nice natural light is in the room. I am going to go gentle on the counter tops - probably a neutral sort of buff color. I don't want to go loud or colorful on the backsplash either. The floors will blend with the counter tops - nothing radical there either, but probably a shade or two darker. The trim is a sort of soft buff cashmere, not white. So this leaves me with something STRIKING I can do with the island top.

I collect Polish pottery and I will be displaying some of the pieces - the fruit bowl for instance, and my utensil holder and a cannister that holds tea bags is generally out on my counter, as well as a spoon rest and a butter dish. Not sure if you're familiar with it, so here's a picture of it (and THIS is why my kitchen basics need to be NEUTRAL!):

My dish towels and rugs are either cobalt blue or dark red. I just bought this bowl the other day at a garage sale and it's AWESOME.

By the way, you can see why granite countertops fight with this stuff.

Anyway, what do you suggest for the island counter top?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,483,512 times
Here is a hutch I recently designed for a client using standard cabinets, with readily available, "non-custom" standard factory modifications on the upper cabinets. I increased the depth to 15" and selected a glass door option for the upper units. These are both standard modifications from the manufacturer.

I know moving it away from the corner would make it look more like furniture, but the client requested that it go clear to the corner.
Attached Thumbnails
I need my fellow CDers' advice on updating this kitchen! (Pics)-hutch-2-031914.jpg  

Last edited by rrtechno; 04-09-2014 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Here is a hutch I recently designed for a client using standard cabinets, with readily available, "non-custom" standard factory modifications on the upper cabinets. I increased the depth to 15" and selected a glass door option for the upper units. These are both standard modifications from the manufacturer.

I know moving it away from the corner would make it look more like furniture, but the client requested that it go clear to the corner.
This, with a few slight modifications, would be perfect. I would want a flat surface between the upper and lower cabinets, so that I could use it to serve a buffet style meal (we do that a lot with our large extended family). I would want the cabinets and above the "counter space" lit and would want it painted instead of stained. But I LOVE the combo of cabinets, drawers and shelves with glass doors! (I might want one shelf, maybe below the glass doors, to be open).

Do you mind telling me what a reasonable price range would be for the one you constructed for your client?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,386,974 times
I'm loving those dishes! Each one is a work of art. I could just stare at them for hours lol! Polish dishware meditation...

I am liking the idea of getting rid of the peninsula/bar, and having a larger island, now that I understand how crowded the space is. And now that I understand that your husband is ready to rip the room apart, anyway lol!

I'm stumped about the counter top for the island. My pea brain assumed it would match the other, but that's sure not set in stone. Maybe to coordinate with your ginormous hutch?

And sorry for messing with your head with all the photos lol! I just kept finding more and more....I had to make myself stop.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,483,512 times
Quote:
This, with a few slight modifications, would be perfect. I would want a flat surface between the upper and lower cabinets, so that I could use it to serve a buffet style meal (we do that a lot with our large extended family). I would want the cabinets and above the "counter space" lit and would want it painted instead of stained. But I LOVE the combo of cabinets, drawers and shelves with glass doors! (I might want one shelf, maybe below the glass doors, to be open).

Do you mind telling me what a reasonable price range would be for the one you constructed for your client?
It would be easier to share that with an idea of the size you are looking for. This one is approximately 8' long. Removing some drawers and replacing it with open shelves would also reduce the price some. Interior lights, contrasting backs, etc. are all available. When I get a chance, I can play around a little. I have commitments for the next few days, so it won't be before next week.

Here is a link to the Jewel collection from one quartz supplier. There are some very interesting looking designs. They have many other styles, also (I believe they are at 103 colors now).

Jewel Collection

Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
I totally want to collect Polish pottery now.

Since you're going with a country style for this kitchen, do a butcher block countertop for the island.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times
Quote:
That is a good idea! Thank you.

This is an idea that I'll file away till we tackle the kitchen. I think the advice to live in it awhile before tearing things out is a great idea. Personally I love islands, and it might be nice to move the sink to directly under the window, lose the peninsula as you recommended, and extend a slightly narrower, but longer island with an overhang for ONE stool at the end. After all, there is the nook table which will have four chairs and then the dining room table that extends to seat TWELVE so dang it, how many more places do I really need? My husband and I could sit at the kitchen table - we rarely sit at the bar anyway. I could use the stool for when I am perusing cookbooks and that sort of thing. It would open the whole kitchen up. And I could put plenty of cabinet space and drawers in the bottom of the island.

Hmmmm, you've got me thinking now...
Yes, the overhang with one stool for looking at cookbooks. I like that.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
I KNOW!!!!! I am scared. I may just do quartz. Like the recycled glass, you can get it in so many different hues. I like the slight iridescence to both the quartz and the recycled glass.

I need more advice! I think I am going to do an island now that I'm moving the sink around to below the window. It won't be large. I think it might be cool to have that top in a different finish, because when we resell it will only be a small space that whoever buys may have to change out to suit their colors.

The walls are a light cream. The cabinets are a sort of hickory color. The appliances are stainless. Lots of nice natural light is in the room. I am going to go gentle on the counter tops - probably a neutral sort of buff color. I don't want to go loud or colorful on the backsplash either. The floors will blend with the counter tops - nothing radical there either, but probably a shade or two darker. The trim is a sort of soft buff cashmere, not white. So this leaves me with something STRIKING I can do with the island top.

I collect Polish pottery and I will be displaying some of the pieces - the fruit bowl for instance, and my utensil holder and a cannister that holds tea bags is generally out on my counter, as well as a spoon rest and a butter dish. Not sure if you're familiar with it, so here's a picture of it (and THIS is why my kitchen basics need to be NEUTRAL!):

My dish towels and rugs are either cobalt blue or dark red. I just bought this bowl the other day at a garage sale and it's AWESOME.

By the way, you can see why granite countertops fight with this stuff.

Anyway, what do you suggest for the island counter top?
I collect polish pottery too. Love the stuff. I got addicted to it while living in Germany. You are absolutely right about the clashing of busy countertops with it. I don't particularly like the black or dark stone counters with it either because if you have pieces with a heavy amount of navy in them they seem to disappear into the countertop. The prettiest combination I have seen with it are the wooden countertops - it looks stunning. I have a very light patterned gold granite and it works well, although I don't think it looks as good as my friend's cream cabinets and wooden countertop.

I think the countertop that you put in this post would look nice.
Quote:
There is also the option of recycled crushed glass. Some of that is really, really cool but I have no idea what the price point is.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I totally want to collect Polish pottery now.

Since you're going with a country style for this kitchen, do a butcher block countertop for the island.
I wonder how that would work for a spot that would basically be for my mixer (I would store the mixer in the island). I like the look of butcher block but I would never use it to actually cut anything on - I think that it can harbor bacteria. And using it where I mix things, it would get damp often. I was thinking more of a hard surface. Just not sure what.

Or maybe I could keep the top the same material as the counter tops but paint the bottom an accent color and then paint the bottom of the hutch the same accent color? I am keeping the wood cabinets in the main kitchen area because I like the color.

Maybe it's too late and my brain is going overboard....I have too much decorating in my head right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House