Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Its an all electric house! Now I am thinking the cost savings isn't significant and the heat pump system is more expensive to buy. So, looks like I'll just do conventional forced air. Even thought its Texas, we do have about 10 days a year of below freezing weather and about 30 days below 45 degrees.
If you came to that conclusion, I'm not sure you understood the replies.

Example: Add 36K BTUs of heat into the house, outside temp is 40F

1) Electrical resistance heating: 100% efficient, takes 10.5 kwh of electricity

2) Heat pump: Assume COP of 3.7 @ 40F, takes around 2.9kwh of electricity to move 36k BTUs of energy from the outside to the inside

The heat pump uses nearly 4x less electricity to heat the house in this example.

When installed w/no gas furnace, it's typical to install a heat pump with electrical resistance panels inside the air handler for emergency heating. These would be used when:

1) Failure of heat pump condenser
2) Temperature so cold outside that heat pump cannot move heat into house fast enough to maintain setpoint
3) High temperature difference between setpoint and current temp, to help close gap faster. My thermostat does this (at our Las Vegas vacation house) when the delta is more than 2 degrees F. The only time this happens is when we turn the heat back on after the house has been empty and the thermostat was set to an away temperature of 55F. Other than that, I've never seen the heat strips kick in.

Last edited by MediocreButArrogant; 04-11-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 03:16 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
We just put in a heat pump in the house we are going to be moving to. Since we haven't been in the house yet, we don't know how well it works and in terms of costs.

You might want to think about geothermal. Yeah it is expensive (so is a heat pump) but you can get 30% tax credit if you put it in before 2016. It is also more efficient than conventional systems or a heat pump. And I heard that the cost to run it is not that much. Unfortunately, we learned the hard way that our heat pump is not eligible for the tax credit.

For me, moving away from dead dinosaurs is the only way to go.

Cat

Old 04-11-2014, 04:33 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
You might want to think about geothermal. Yeah it is expensive (so is a heat pump) but you can get 30% tax credit if you put it in before 2016. It is also more efficient than conventional systems or a heat pump. And I heard that the cost to run it is not that much. Unfortunately, we learned the hard way that our heat pump is not eligible for the tax credit.
The system you are attempting to describe IS a heat pump, specifically a "geothermal heat pump" or "ground sourced heat pump".

The difference is that the tubes with refrigerant are buried in the ground, or a well, rather than exposed to the air, with a fan blowing over them, as in an air-sourced heat pump. Other than that the concept is the same, which is why they are also called heat pumps.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The system you are attempting to describe IS a heat pump, specifically a "geothermal heat pump" or "ground sourced heat pump".

The difference is that the tubes with refrigerant are buried in the ground, or a well, rather than exposed to the air, with a fan blowing over them, as in an air-sourced heat pump. Other than that the concept is the same, which is why they are also called heat pumps.

Yeah, that's it. We were told that our system is called "Air to Air." Like I said that we were originally going to go with geothermal but decided not to-again, the cost was the factor. We cut some of the expense by not having to dig the wells-but we also didn't get the 30% tax credit either.

Cat

Old 04-13-2014, 05:35 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,232 times
As someone with 16+ years in HVAC I agree with K'ledgeBldr.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:16 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Has anyone experience with geothermal in the DFW area? How well does it work given the motive soil in these parts? I'm guessing the flexible piping doesn't mind the movement...but is that the case? Do the contractors more often lay the piping vertically or horizontally, and which costs less if the space allows for either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House