Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 AM

279 posts, read 354,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
We got a Mr. Coffee but I'll admit it was because of the color. Still, it's programmable and works great!

+1 Had to match the rest of the appliances ( Gotta love her ), but it's been working everyday for 3 years without a hitch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:37 AM

10,023 posts, read 17,933,704 times
Hopes, I've spent $100+ on coffee makers and I've spend $15-20 (multiple times!), and none of them have ever lasted very long. I use a coffee maker every day, but I don't drink coffee black so frankly I have never tasted a difference depending on the coffee maker (I DO taste a difference depending on the COFFEE I use, but never the maker). Replacing them every few years doesn't bother me too much since I now just buy the cheap ones.

I never know what time I will be getting up (even on work days, I tend to wake up at least 2-3 hours before my alarm is set to go off), so I don't use the programming feature. The coffee maker takes only a few minutes to brew ~16 ounces (that's how much fits in my very large mug), which gives me time to get breakfast ready.

I have friends who drink their coffee black and many of them LOVE French presses.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:40 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,289,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hopes, I've spent $100+ on coffee makers and I've spend $15-20 (multiple times!), and none of them have ever lasted very long. I use a coffee maker every day, but I don't drink coffee black so frankly I have never tasted a difference depending on the coffee maker (I DO taste a difference depending on the COFFEE I use, but never the maker). Replacing them every few years doesn't bother me too much since I now just buy the cheap ones.

I never know what time I will be getting up (even on work days, I tend to wake up at least 2-3 hours before my alarm is set to go off), so I don't use the programming feature The coffee maker takes only a few minutes to brew ~16 ounces (that's how much fits in my very large mug), which gives me time to get breakfast ready.

I have friends who drink their coffee black and many of them LOVE French presses.
I have a French press too, and if I'm just having one cup of coffee and fixing one for a friend, I'll often grab that out of the cabinet rather than using the single serving gadget we also have (and don't even get me started on all the tea paraphernalia I have!). I love the coffee from a French press, but it's only good for one cup for me because it doesn't stay hot. But wow, that one cup is delicious!

I love the slightly thicker liquid it makes. Yum.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:54 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,566,647 times
The best coffee I ever had or have comes from a French Press...

Old 04-13-2014, 01:42 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,921,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Seven years ago, I bought my husband a $400 Cuisinart. Unbeknownst to me, it broke and my husband bought a $15 Black and Decker. It didn't work the very first time he used it. Can anyone recommend a decent coffee maker that's reasonably priced and reliable? I don't want to spend $400 on something that will only last 7 years, but I don't want a POS $15 one either.
I'm perfectly happy with my 4-cup Mr. Coffee, but that would probably fit in your POS category because it only cost $18! I have had it for about 5 years and it works, day in and day out. It costs $20 now.

It makes 20 oz (2 mugs) of coffee, which is all I should drink. It takes less than 4 minutes to make the first cup, so I haven't even tried using the timer on it. It takes me longer than that to dress. It takes almost no room at all on the countertop, because it is a small size coffeemaker like the ones in motel rooms.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:53 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,840,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
The best coffee I ever had or have comes from a French Press...
That's all they use in the UK

Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
That's all they use in the UK
Now come on - that's not true.

Buy Coffee machines at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Home and garden.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,759,898 times
Kathryn.. I love coffee and can drink about 2+ mugs in a morning...and I tnd towards a teeny bit lazy about it.
So I generally make a big batch for a couple of days (I know, I KNOW!).
But now I am intrigued as I drink it dark and black and want to try a French press but not sure what size.
I think I would like the size you use based on your post. Will it fill my mug twice?
Thanks.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Kathryn.. I love coffee and can drink about 2+ mugs in a morning...and I tnd towards a teeny bit lazy about it.
So I generally make a big batch for a couple of days (I know, I KNOW!).
But now I am intrigued as I drink it dark and black and want to try a French press but not sure what size.
I think I would like the size you use based on your post. Will it fill my mug twice?
Thanks.
You can get a larger French press (they come in a couple of sizes) that would give you two or more large mugs of coffee each day. Since you don't mind making it and then reheating it, you could use a French press. But that sort of defeats one of the main joys of a French press, which is the uniquely fresh taste of the coffee (much different from drip coffee).

Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,869,677 times
Technivorm moccamaster.

Alternatively, I'd get a electronic kettle and a pour over or French press (if you like that style). Most cheaper machines don't get the water hot enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House