Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times

Advertisements

I am NOT a hard-core "Tim the Toolman Taylor" type of guy at all, but I've been doing (or attempting) some light around-the-house home improvement projects, such as cutting wall paneling and cutting plywood. One issue I come up with is when cutting wood, especially wall paneling (1/8" thick), it is so hard to get a half-decent straight-cut. The wood is so picky in terms of support and stabilization. I have a wood work bench that's about 2x5 feet or so but for 4x8 sheets it just isn't enough it seems, but given that I typically don't do such projects, getting a table saw or larger workbench would be a huge money outlay for a temporary "seasonal" type of thing.

One scenario: I'm trimming wall paneling. The sheets are 4x8, but I'm needing a sheet around 44 inches wide and 90 inches tall, meaning I'm trimming 4" off the right side going in a top-to-bottom direction, and "stopping short" 6 inches from the top before going horizontal to get the 90" height achieved. (Did I describe that correctly and clearly?) I use a tape measure and T-square to outline the cutting area.

If I use a circular saw to do this, the problem is I only have 4" on the right-hand side of the wood with the other 44" on the table, but not all of it, and thus it's unstable and I mean HARD to get that saw to go in an even half-way straight line, sometimes it "groans" trying to go where I tell it. I don't know what law of physics I'm butting heads with, but it's considerable, because I have to SHOVE that saw to get it to go.

Or, say the panel needs to be 30" wide and 70" tall. I now have about 2/3rds of the board on the workbench, the other 1/3 hanging "free" in the air, and the saw goes in-between there going vertically. Again, it's hard as the dickens to get it to go easily down the line as I want it to because the right-hand part isn't supported by anything.

Yet, two things (a) for some reason, a jigsaw does this much better for some reason even though I commonly read that jigsaws aren't good for straight cut scenarios, and (b) when cutting plywood, which is firmer, it goes a whole lot easier. I'm not sure what it is about wall paneling that's so much more difficult, unless it's the "wobble" factor of the wood (the heavier weight & size of a circular saw maybe is too much for a small "dangling" bit of wall paneling to support?).

Tips? Basically I need tips on how to stabilize the wood so it stays the freaking heck STILL. It seems that for the first scenario, I need larger work bench (but I never see work benches THAT large in the stores where I've looked) for the 2nd situation it sounds like I need two tables of the same size with a gap in the middle and with the board weighed down on the two respective boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Lets start with the easy stuff!

*A set of saw horses- plastic ones from a big box store
*(4) 2X4's either 8' or 10' long- I like the 10's so I can clamp on an end and still have full support.
*An 8' piece of 1-1/2" aluminum angle
*(2) 4" C-clamps

Saw horses support the 2X4's
2X4's support the plywood/paneling
The C-clamps hold the angle as a guide for the saw to follow

The short-side of the saw plate is 1-1/2". So, if you set the angle 1-1/2" +/- depending on the direction you cut- you're on your mark.

Other things to do-
Set the saw blade so it cuts through the material with about an extra 1/2" of blade. In otherwords, if the paneling is 1/4" the saw blade should be set 3/4" beyond the sole plate.

The other,even more important thing to remember- turn the finish side down to cut. That will give you a clean cut edge without "chip-out". It also means that you have to measure "backwards".

Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Cutting paneling is tricky! Festool makes a dedicated circular say that has an elaborate guide to get this right. There are other J_I_Gs that accomplish the same thing a the angle iron and clamps that K'ledgeBldr suggests. Depending on how often you need to cut paneling (and how expensive it gets to waste miscut sheets...) it might make sense to check some out -- the adjustable soleplate of a circular saw is designed to allow some degree of control when cutting thin material, but ultimately a guide is even better...

Festool track saws, track saws, plunge cut saws and Guide Rails - Festool Track Saw

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../334019_lg.jpg

Old 04-09-2014, 04:29 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am NOT a hard-core "Tim the Toolman Taylor" type of guy at all...
One issue I come up with is when cutting wood, especially wall paneling...

If I use a circular saw to do this...
Tips?
Have the lumberyard cut your panels to the sizes you need.
They'll use a "panel saw" and not charge you a single penny.
But you DO need to have accurate measurements.

Gettin Wood Cut at Lowes! - YouTube

Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
The easiest way to get a straight cut is clamp a straight edge like a piece of plywood to the board you are cutting and use it for a guide by butting the edge of the saw up against it.

Quote:
Or, say the panel needs to be 30" wide and 70" tall. I now have about 2/3rds of the board on the workbench, the other 1/3 hanging "free" in the air, and the saw goes in-between there going vertically. Again, it's hard as the dickens to get it to go easily down the line as I want it to because the right-hand part isn't supported by anything.
Either get someone to help you of you can get some saw horses, use some 2*4's to support the long length of the panel. You'll have a channel in the center....

Honestly what you need is a table saw, if you are going to continue to do work like this it's something to consider.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
BE SURE to read all the instructions for your saw including EVERY SINGLE safety warning!

That includes the part about keeping both hands on the saw. The above is in red for blood, because that is what you will get if you don't follow the safety instructions.

Both hands on saw.

Use clamps and saw horses - hold down what you are sawing.

Clamps are cheaper than medical bills.

A table saw may be better for long straight cuts - cheaper to buy or rent one than medical bills cost.

Here is one safety video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWOhqgyIuk

Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
I just lay mine on the lawn and adjust the blade to barely cut through. I do this all day long and it works every time.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:40 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
haven't seen anybody mention yet that the saw blade you use is very important.

Best to use the blade specified for cutting thin paneling rather than the standard all-around blade that came with your saw.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
Knowledgeable Bldr is on the right track (excuse the pun), but you want to keep the straight edge guide to the LEFT side of the LARGER portion (about 5 inches) of the saw. This will leave you with 1 1/2" of the sole plate running over the 4" piece which you are trying to cut off.

The reason you do it this way: Remember how the saw was 'grinding/lugging" ? That is because the blade is being pinched in the not too well supported material. Keep the wider portion of the saw over the "save" material, and the narrower portion of the saw over the 4" of waste material. Other wise, you are asking the narrower piece of material to support the saw, and it will undoubtedly bind when it gets toward the end of the cut and the 'cut-off' piece with the saw sitting on it using Knowledgeable Bldrs method will want to drop/move/etc.

It takes practice to get good with a circular saw. Simple tool, but difficult to use well. Take your time.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:49 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,592,767 times
The best way to cut paneling is on top of a full sheet of sacrificial plywood on saw horses. Set the depth of the blade on the saw to only cut like an 1/8" more then the thickness of the paneling you need to cut. Simple and no hassle with pieces flopping around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House