Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 AM

67,637 posts, read 60,168,407 times

Advertisements

We're going to be remodeling a kitchen soon, and I'm looking for feedback on various materials for counter tops. Durability is very important to me. Also, I collect Polish pottery, which as you may know, is very colorful, so I don't want something with a lot of pattern to it.

I'm sort of leaning toward soapstone, but of course, I could change my mind about that in a New York second.

The room is very light and bright (floor to ceiling bay windows and another window above the sink), and has nice cabinetry, which we are going to keep and are probably not going to paint. It's a medium to darkish hickory wood tone. We will have an island as well, which I prefer to top with something different from the other counter tops. Our style is what I'd call European country (not exactly French Country - more Germanic country - LOL). The appliances are stainless steel. I like red accents - in fact, I am considering a distressed red hutch in one corner.

We haven't decided on a floor yet but it will be a tile floor, not wood.

My main concern about soapstone is that it only comes in one color - darkish gray. Now - I think that might look nice with the pottery, but I don't want the room to be dark - this may be countered by the bright light though and the cream colored textured walls. But we could also do only the sink and sink area in soapstone...hmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,930,023 times
I had a soapstone counter in one of my kitchens with medium maple cabinets. Wonderful natural light throughout the kitchen. Backsplash was light neutral porcelain tile. Walls were pale buttercream.

Wasn't dark at all.

If you google 18 Porters Lane Portsmouth, RI. The kitchen has darker cabinets with soapstone counters and island.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I had a soapstone counter in one of my kitchens with medium maple cabinets. Wonderful natural light throughout the kitchen. Backsplash was light neutral porcelain tile. Walls were pale buttercream.

Wasn't dark at all.

If you google 18 Porters Lane Portsmouth, RI. The kitchen has darker cabinets with soapstone counters and island.
Thank you - I'll google that right away!

So did you like your soapstone counter top? What were the pros and cons? I LOVE the way they feel.

I'm thinking a light neutral porcelain tile as well, and the walls are already pale buttercream. What were your floors? I'm thinking tie in with the back splash and just go quiet, neutral light tile with a texture to it that has a bit of the light gray of the soapstone?

Old 04-13-2014, 11:42 AM

17,665 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default Quartz

Any color you want.
Almost any pattern you want (except wild granite-like patterns).
Many manufacturers.
Quartz.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Any color you want.
Almost any pattern you want (except wild granite-like patterns).
Many manufacturers.
Quartz.
I like the look of many quartz counter tops and choices and I may go with it in the end, who knows? But my concerns with it are that it is not particularly heat tolerant (not the engineered type anyway, which is the type most often available and with the most color options).

With five grown kids and now with seven grandkids, all (without exception) who love to cook, I expect this kitchen to be used A LOT by some "chefs" who can be a bit, shall we say, impulsive and reckless. That's why I am super, super concerned about durability. I know that soapstone can nick easily, but to me that falls into the arena of "patina" and not only that, it can be easily sanded out if desired. I mean, it's just a totally different look than granite or quartz.

I am really, really leaning in the direction of a soapstone sink with the built in drain grooves to either side at the least. I have seen some kitchens that mix that with granite, or quartz, or whatever. That's an option too. I do like the look of some of the quartz options and I love that overall, it's durable (other than the heat aspect).

If I went with the soapstone sink (and sink area) only idea, then whatever I put on the rest of the counter tops would need to be continued on the island counter top - either that, or I'd need to put soapstone on the island counter top. I mean, rather than putting yet ANOTHER counter top element in there.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,010,311 times
I think soapstone would look great with polish pottery.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM

17,665 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default There seems to be some disagreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
quartz counter tops...is not particularly heat tolerant
"Can be affected by high heat (over 400°F)"
Surface comparison chart: Granite vs Quartz vs Solid Surface vs Arylic vs Laminate
400! That means straight from a high-heat oven to the counter.

And, this is a tad extreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYfi9f-gOEQ

Some more opinion/data
Compare countertops

Old 04-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Can be affected by high heat (over 400°F)"
Surface comparison chart: Granite vs Quartz vs Solid Surface vs Arylic vs Laminate
400! That means straight from a high-heat oven to the counter.

And, this is a tad extreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYfi9f-gOEQ

Some more opinion/data
Compare countertops
Thanks, dave! Good information.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:27 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,013,867 times
Concrete. Stain any color you want.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,763,719 times
Downside to soapstone
Soft material and is easily scratched.
Will chip
Comes in short pieces- 7 foot or shorter meaning more splices on large tops
Limited colors available
Darkens over time and use

Upside to soapstone
Not effected by any acids
Takes heat without scorching
Doesn't stain
Scratches and defects easily fixed by home owner
No annual sealants required
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House