Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Your neighbor sounds a bit unstable if he sits on his deck and stares. If you were sunbathing topless it might make sense. Is he older than you? He might be a perv.
I have neighbors who sit on the deck and stare...I have a 6' fence that sits on top of a 4' retaining wall, but because we're on a hill the neighbors have a direct view of my back yard. They smoke, so at least one of the couple is out there every second of the day, puffing away and staring straight at my back door (and me, whenever I open the door). It's not because I'm cute (I'm not) or anything really weird, they just don't have anything interesting to do while they smoke.

I soaped over my patio door so I felt like I had some privacy from them, even though I've got curtains and a sliding foam panel to cover the back door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Do you have an HOA?

Check for any rules regarding fences. If you get the city permit but are breaking the HOA, they can still fine you, sue you, require it to be removed, and take action against your house if you refuse to pay their fines. Yeah, the HOA has more legal rights than actual property owners. Thank God I managed to buy in an area without one, but definitely check with their rules first.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
We have second home in FL where the yards are fairly small and not very deep--and the HOA only allows 4 ft tall fences--
most people have chain link--and landscaping with taller shrubs or trees if they want more privacy...
The house we bought had a chain link fence on all sides of backyard but not the sides aren't even...one side only goes to back corner of the screen lanai/patio...the other goes to the back side of the house--there is no lanai on that end...
The people behind us who apparently were great friends of the sellers of our house--
put up TWO panels of a white vinyl fence directly behind our chain link fence--right were the gate is...
the gate had a lock and we didn't have a key to it--but we never would have gone in their yard anyway--it was left over from their visiting the sellers of our house (gay couple)...
They just did it after Christmas--nothing was said to us and I KNOW nothing was said to the HOA because the fence is too tall--
the panels are 6 ft and the post ends are taller than that...
Unless you special order a smaller sz fence that is the only kind you can buy locally--
we know--we wanted to put small fence coming off the front garage to screen the pump for the well for the yard and some other stuff--like extra tiles for the roof that are stacked along the side of the garage...

It looks horrible--two white PVC panels look like two buck teeth--
they do make an effective screen for the people's lanai but they could have done the same thing with some mature plantings...
it is kind of like a slap in the face--
we don't really know them--have said hello a couple of times--but they are just as guilty

if we wanted to get them in trouble we could sic the HOA on them--but the people on either side of us can see it--and haven't said anything so my husband said to just ignore it...

get your permit--
check with your HOA and *********r neighbor

Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Seems like you are on top of it.

Permits if needed...the fence company will demand these, as well as a current survey with the property line marked. They are NOT going to take your word for the boundary line.

I would attempt to inform the neighbor. As a matter of courtesy, even if he doesn't deserve it. "By the way, I am extending the existing fence along the remaining border. I just wanted to let you know before hand."

Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Seems like you are on top of it.

Permits if needed...the fence company will demand these, as well as a current survey with the property line marked. They are NOT going to take your word for the boundary line.

I would attempt to inform the neighbor. As a matter of courtesy, even if he doesn't deserve it. "By the way, I am extending the existing fence along the remaining border. I just wanted to let you know before hand."

I wouldn't.

The neighbor isn't entitled to know what the poster is going to do on his/her property at his/her expense.

the neighbor isn't paying for it, so therefore gets no info.

JMO

Old 04-17-2014, 12:40 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
Don't those bright white vinyl fences come in dark green?
I swear I saw dark green at the Home Depo one year.
I'm only saying this because I don't like the bright white fencing, for myself,
if I was putting up a privacy fence.
You could always plant in front of it, which is what most people do anyway,
Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:37 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I was going to quote Robert Frost but someone has beaten me to it.

Good fences makes good neighbors and good neighbors makes good fences.

BTW, I think when it comes to putting up fences, the "backside" should be facing YOUR property. I'm not too sure so you might want to check one that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard that that.

Cat

Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM

297 posts, read 794,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone! I feel MUCH better now.

And NO permits needed in my city for a privacy fence - just have to make sure I'm staying within code and property lines...which I am! I'm hiring a very reputable, recommended fencing company, who will have a survey done. They will bring the fence in about 3" from the property line (theres a "win" for nosy neighbor)! And no need to talk to neighbor with existing white fence in rear, as my fence won't tie to theirs (not even buying the exact same model fence - not sure where theirs is from!) ...
Sounds like you and your fencing company are on top of things, and it sounds fine. I think since you're building it completely on your property, there's no need to inform The Staring Neighbor. He might have dementia or something, and why deal with him if you don't have to?

We tried for years to get our next-door neighbors to agree to a new fence along our shared boundary. What was in place was a mess of three different kinds of broken fencing, cobbled together over the decades (was there when we moved in). The neighbors said they would but then could never decide what kind they wanted. Finally we said the heck with it and built what WE wanted (cedar) completely on our side of the line, paying for it all ourselves, of course. Hubby did the labor of installing and staining, so we saved money there, and it's gorgeous. Neighbors love it too!

Old 04-17-2014, 04:20 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I plan to install a 6' tall privacy fence in my yard. Currently 2 sides of my yard has fencing from the neighbors, and I now want to fence the third side. The main reason for this is I want privacy from a neighbor who stares relentlessly at me and anyone who comes over. If I'm mowing my lawn or working in my yard/garden, I have NO privacy as he sits on his deck, cracks open a beer and stares. This fence will go to the front of my house (but not to the street).

Question - I know it's common courtesy that I tell him and his wife that I'm doing this, but should I have any other concerns? In terms of the fence, it's a nice, good quality white PVC fence (somewhat matches the fence the neighbor behind me has) and it will look nice from both sides but will match my house vs his (and he will be looking at a lot of fence). I'm paying $5500 for this fence (I have a large yard), so I'm more concerned that it works for my house, but I also want to be a good neighbor.

Has anyone else gone through a similar situation?? Should I be concerned if I'm following code and building fence slightly inside the property lines?

Thanks!
Definitely check the ordinances to see if there are restrictions on fencing height, etc.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Here is a sure fire way of keeping your fence.

For some reason, people are deathly afraid of dogs, some breeds in particular. Get a big dog and people will be more than glad you put the fence up. Get a big loveable pit bull and get a better laugh out of it. I had an American Staffordshire terrier years ago and one of my neighbors went door to door to the neighbors wanting them to sign a petition for me to put up a big stockade fence. I live in a 70 year old neighborhood, who would enforce that? They all told him to go away.
As of this day, that same guy has two dogs outside at all hours of day and night and they bark for hours. It bothers everyone but him. The thing is - no one really likes him so we ignore him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House