Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I have had two Energy Efficent Washing Machines.

1. Bosh
2. My new one

both do not put much water in the machine and the clothes to me, do not seem clean...?

does anyone else feel that way....?

I really don't like them, they may be saving water, but there is very little water over the top of the clothes.

Maybe it's me?
I know someone with a newer washing machine that doesn't fill with a lot of water and they hate it. It's not you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:08 PM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Hi There, no Elnia, it's not a soap problem at all, as I'm really careful about using to much, but it is a water problem, the water just doesn't fill up enough to cover the clothes....? Maybe its old school on my part, but I'm used to seeing the clothes covered with water?
I am not sure - does your washer has different water level settings? Like small load, little water - big load - more water? My does. I know, its silly to ask, but did you check on that?
Another thing - maybe there is something with your water pressure, or water hose is partially obstructed.
Why don't you call a serviceman and let him check on that?

What exactly washer you have?

Old 04-18-2014, 04:41 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
The problem when you get a "new & improved," it may be new but not improved at all. It seems that there are so many complaints about these first generation HE washers that I believe the manufacturers are going to address the issues-at least I HOPE they are. Unfortunately, anyone who is in the market for a new washer right now (like me), is S.O.L. This is what you get or nothing. I just hope by the time my old Frigidaire washer dies, that next generation of HE washers will be an improvement over the ones out now.

Cat
There are still machines that can have the water level adjusted to the amount you want. I just bought one. It's not fancy looking at all, very generic, but I'm happy with it. It is a Sears Kenmore brand. Even has an agitator.

There are things I miss about my Neptune. This one doesn't have all the little compartments for your bleach and softener. Doesn't signal when cycle is over and they do not have lights inside.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not sure - does your washer has different water level settings? Like small load, little water - big load - more water? My does. I know, its silly to ask, but did you check on that?
Another thing - maybe there is something with your water pressure, or water hose is partially obstructed.
Why don't you call a serviceman and let him check on that?

What exactly washer you have?
yes, it does, have several, it is a GE with a steel tub. and my water pressure and hose are fine, it is simply how I put the clothes in the washer, as last night when I got home I tried something different. I put the clothes in loosely, very loosely, instead of packing them in, and guess what, I got more water, I believe it has something to do with the sensors...but I did a load of sheets with a blanket, and believe me this washer is a huge sucker, lol, I could do my entire bed clothes in it along with the quilt, but I won't. Anyway, I put the sheets in loosely and the blanket on top of the sheets, loosely acutlly pulling it up a bit, and the water level was fine.

It is a GE 3.9 Cu. Ft. stainles steel capacity washer, top loader, GTWN4250DWS
after that Bosh I had, would never buy a front loader again, and honestly I bet there are brands that are wonderful, I simply like the top loader with the agitator. I spent a whole lot of money for my Bosh appliances years ago, and I'm wasn't at all happy and neither was another woman who bought Bosh, and they may have improved them by now, who knows.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
I had a Maytag Neptune, then Samsung, we currently have 2 Samsung front loading washer / dryers stacked.

The water level IS intended to be very low, it is dispersed during wash as the chamber spins. We wash very large comforters using these machines, they come out clean, and use little water.

Older machines may have trouble due to removal of phosphates in most home detergents. You can replace the missing phosphate, see Amazon or visit any box or hardware store look for phosphate. It's used for many purposes, including wall paper stripping. In small quantities phosphate makes a lot of difference when cleaning cloths.

Newer machines are designed to work without phosphates, and mostly cover the loss. Older machines may need phosphate. I'm of the belief that phosphate shouldn't have been removed as the cost of replacing older washing machines and dishwashers is environmentally higher than continuing to use phosphate. However phosphate free machines should have been required for future energy star ratings, to permit the gradual phase out of phosphate.

We currently have two Bosh dishwashers, one from the phosphate period, one from the post phosphate period. The newer unit works fine with or without phosphate, but the older unit works best if phosphate is added. Eventually we'll replace the older unit, but until then, we'll add a bit of phosphate to help clean dishes, but also to help keep the unit from clogging.
yes, it makes sense, started looking into this yesterday (all about the phosphates, which BTW, I was not aware of)

Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I know someone with a newer washing machine that doesn't fill with a lot of water and they hate it. It's not you.
LOL, well, played with it last night and it did ok.....
Tell your friend when she loads the items in her washer to fluff them up high, to put them inside the washer and pull them up...that is what I did last night and the water level got higher, and I didn't put them in and push them down, but did the exact opposite. Worked.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 AM

I though the "water level sensors" works by load weight, so if you pack the washer with clothes, then all water just get "sucked in" by the laundry. Generally the washers should be full but not packed.

Also, "no phosphates", "phosphate-free", "no phosphorus" claims are generally not meaningful for laundry detergents.
Most powdered laundry detergents sold in the US in the early 1970s contained about 12% phosphorus by weight, but by 1994, major manufacturers of laundry detergents had all eliminated phosphate from their products.
And liquid laundry detergents never contained phosphates, since phosphates aren’t soluble or stable enough to be used in liquid laundry detergents.

Adding more info to Zot post:
http://www.phosphate-forum.org/index...ask=view&id=18
http://goo.gl/2RmCLG

Recommended Ariel laundry detergent (contains phosphates).
I use it all the times along with Persil laudry detergent.
Persil contains phosphonates like DTPA - maybe not as effective as phosphates, but they are still pretty darn good. (A quality substitute)
My laundry always look very clean, not to mention the very pleasant scent.

Last edited by elnina; 04-18-2014 at 06:17 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I though the "water level sensors" works by load weight, so if you pack the washer with clothes, then all water just get "sucked in" by the laundry. Generally the washers should be full but not packed.

Also, "no phosphates", "phosphate-free", "no phosphorus" claims are generally not meaningful for laundry detergents.
Most powdered laundry detergents sold in the US in the early 1970s contained about 12% phosphorus by weight, but by 1994, major manufacturers of laundry detergents had all eliminated phosphate from their products.
And liquid laundry detergents never contained phosphates, since phosphates aren’t soluble or stable enough to be used in liquid laundry detergents.

Adding more info to Zot post:
Global Phosphate Forum - Phosphates in detergents
http://goo.gl/2RmCLG

thank you kindly.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:57 AM

Ariel ( most Mexican grocery stores, but also spotted @ Lowe's and Home depot) is much cheaper than Persil ( I get it from Amazon), but you can use 1/2 of recommended amount with same results. I tested it

Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Quote:
LOL, well, played with it last night and it did ok.....
Tell your friend when she loads the items in her washer to fluff them up high, to put them inside the washer and pull them up...that is what I did last night and the water level got higher, and I didn't put them in and push them down, but did the exact opposite. Worked.
Will do. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House