Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times

Advertisements

So we started a couple of weeks ago removing the bushes, which my wife had encouraged me to let grow pretty tall for some privacy. A bit bigger than I really liked, but they did actually provide privacy, I will admit.

We started using a gas powered hedge trimmer and lopping shear and defoliated a couple in about an hour, but realized the size of the branches meant there were some good sized stumps and we did not want to dig them out. Plus, we would have need a few dozen lawn bags to contain it all.

So, I found a tree removal guy that was able to work us in after another project nearby. Took him about 50 minutes to cut the other three down and grind the stumps out, even though it was quite tight.

One of our dogs was quite interested in all of this and quite mad that I would not let her outside.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Should be nice. Is the kitchen uncovered (I guess it has to be since you have 2 grills)?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Should be nice. Is the kitchen uncovered (I guess it has to be since you have 2 grills)?
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Don't you have to have clear opening (not screened) for safety/fire code where there are grills?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:08 PM

I'm essentially putting in a commercial kitchen hood over the grilling side. 7' wide x 3' deep over the grills and the burner in between. Its pretty funny if you look at some of these outdoor kitchens that have these small residential hoods over the grill. What's that going to do? (see the attached picture) Maybe with a gas grill it might work, but since I am putting in a smoker also, I want to make sure that I am not getting smoke up in the house.

The wall behind the grills will be covered in 1/2" HardieBacker Board and tile. The gas grill has an insulating jacket and I will have to put in some of the countertop material under the Kamado and possibly on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Any interest in a screened porch outdoor kitchen thread?-2.jpg  

Old 04-17-2014, 01:31 PM

All good ideas. You've certainly put a lot of thought into it. My thoughts have only extended as far as "I wanna do this one day" and then we get in the pool and forget about it. LOL

Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
"Any interest in a screened porch outdoor kitchen thread?"
Not me; but...

When it burns down, post some pics.

Don't take that the wrong- not meant to be cruel. I only mention it because over 35% of all house fires that are related to a grill usually happen on a covered deck/screened porch. I know that most apartment complexes across the country prohibit grills on decks; and many municipalities are now restricting/prohibiting grills in certain situations.

Nice looking plan- good luck; hope everything goes well with the construction.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not me; but...

over 35% of all house fires that are related to a grill usually happen on a covered deck/screened porch. I know that most apartment complexes across the country prohibit grills on decks; and many municipalities are now restricting/prohibiting grills in certain situations.

Nice. You are a gaping black hole of negativity. I bet you are the life of the party (or you think you are).

Old 04-18-2014, 10:13 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
This is fascinating and beautiful. I am going to study it more thoroughly now.

Would you consider a door directly from the house to the outdoor kitchen for those off season, colder times you need an extra kitchen or kamado or grill like for parties or holidays?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Any interest in a screened porch outdoor kitchen thread?"
Not me; but...

Don't take that the wrong- not meant to be cruel. I only mention it because over 35% of all house fires that are related to a grill usually happen on a covered deck/screened porch. I know that most apartment complexes across the country prohibit grills on decks; and many municipalities are now restricting/prohibiting grills in certain situations.

Honestly I actually teetered on getting a fire suppression system in the hood. I already have several fire extinguishers in the house and will definitely have a large one outside in the porch area. I am also very careful to the point where some people have said I am anal regarding the grills. Especially charcoal. But it's more risk than having the grill in the middle of the yard. That's true.

Of course back in the day they used to have kitchens out back in a separate building so they wouldn't burn the house down, things change.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I just don't get outdoor cooking. Especially on propane gas. Why bother when the kitchen is usually just a step through the patio door? Grilled food is great, but not at the cost of thousands of dollars. One must entertain a lot to want an outdoor kitchen. If you were smoking foods then yes outdoors make sense, but it has to be pretty far from the house then.
I don't get either; for me. But if I had a bunch of people sitting outside, I would rather be outside with them, so then it would make sense.
We used to entertain a lot outside and we had a really awful grill. Now, we live where it is very hot, and have very little company anyway, and we have a big, nice grill, but we never use it. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House