U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,858 times

Advertisements

I just bought a slab ranch in upstate NY, having a big issue with the plumbing which is mostly in the attic and taped with electric tape and a bunch of other insulating tape , which apparently didn't work because they rerouted half of the plumbing to the inside of the interior walls which is driving me crazy . Is there any way to have safe plumbing in the attic. There is insulation (fiberglass kind) over the pipes but there is no insulation on the rafters ?? It is an 1100 sq foot ranch one bathroom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM

12,644 posts, read 11,230,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TParis29 View Post
I just bought a slab ranch in upstate NY, having a big issue with the plumbing which is mostly in the attic and taped with electric tape and a bunch of other insulating tape , which apparently didn't work because they rerouted half of the plumbing to the inside of the interior walls which is driving me crazy . Is there any way to have safe plumbing in the attic. There is insulation (fiberglass kind) over the pipes but there is no insulation on the rafters ?? It is an 1100 sq foot ranch one bathroom.
What are the problems?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM

2,600 posts, read 7,683,839 times
Is there any way to have safe plumbing in the attic ???

Yes you can its called Pex or Vanguard and we have it plus your ins rates go down.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,469,364 times
There is piping insulation around the plumbing because you are in upstate NY - where it gets cold - and you have no insulation in your attic.

One of the very first things I would do is insulate the attic or you are going to lose a buttload of money trying to keep the place warm in the winter.

But because I know zero about plumbing, if I were you, I would get at least three written prices from plumbers detailing their scope of work and detailing their price. If you are lucky enough to know someone who can help, they will be able to tell you (and guide you) to fixing it - or will do it for you for a reduced price.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 PM

15,549 posts, read 58,096,802 times
Usually, the reason for this condition is either fire (PVC) or corrosion (copper)- this is not standard procedure for plumbing a house.

Either way, I would never do an attic re-plumb in upstate NY. Granted, it would be much more expensive, but the consequences of an attic plumb failure can be catastrophic.

Pex can be an excellent material for this type of retro-fit, but the installation has to be top-notch. Yet, there is still the chance of having a failure or at least an ice blockage.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 AM

4,599 posts, read 4,639,877 times
I wonder if it started out as a seasonal vacation home where the plumbing would be drained in the winter and someone has tried to make it a year round home.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,858 times
That it was a seasonal home probably makes the most sense , but from all the advise I am getting here and from plumbers they are suggesting to get it out of the attic. which means short of ripping all the walls out running it on the inside of the walls is the best way. Thanks for the advise guys. Regarding the insulation , there is insulation laying over the pipes but not in the rafters. My last home I laid r39 on the floor of the attic and that worked out pretty well. , not in the rafters however.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:09 PM

12,644 posts, read 11,230,868 times
Are there not such things/devices such as pipe heaters that wrap around pipes? Seems they could be used during the winter versus re-pipe the entire house.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 PM

16,461 posts, read 25,331,221 times
Default Heat tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Are there not such things/devices such as pipe heaters that wrap around pipes?
BriskHeat Heating Tapes. Flexible heating tape for a wide range of applications: Laboratory, valves, pipe tracing for example
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House