Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 11:23 AM

439 posts, read 958,344 times

Advertisements

Afternoon..

Well my previous posts I asked about having a "finished room over garage conversion". I brought out a contractor and he stated it would be a questionable undertaking for the money. He however suggested that the better option would be to convert my entire 2 car garage into a large entertainment room and I would net 400 sq ft. The garage is attached to home via an open breeze way.

Here in Virginia not many folks use their garage for cars, more like extra storage for junk, extra play area for kids etc.

I am concerned if I convert my garage that I will lose that value and my 400 square ft RENO will not net the value it would of if the garage was not involved. Hope that makes sense.

Not being an appraiser I have no idea what a garage would be worth. The contractor stated he could built an attractive "carport" adjacent to the house with an attached overhang that would give shelter from the elements walking to the house. I do know the extra 400+ living Sq Ft would help our value to sell here in the near future.

As an avid watcher of HGTV and the Property Brothers, I envision my reno as a ticket out of here even though it comes at a cost. TV is one thing reality is another. As our market stands my custom built contemporary ranch design home is being compared to pill box 3 bedroom 2 bath modulars or 30 year old tacky brick ranchers because of the square footage for pricing. UGH.

Last question is if my home and garage are attached by an open breezeway do I have to enclose that to have garage conversion count for living square feet?

Thank you so much...
Attached Thumbnails
Goodbye FROG Hello Garage Conversion-crabneck-front-4.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 PM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I would buy your house with a garage. I would not buy your house with a converted garage family room that is not even attached to the house.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:13 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
He however suggested that the better option would be to convert my entire 2 car garage into a large entertainment room and I would net 400 sq ft. The garage is attached to home via an open breeze way.

<snip>

Last question is if my home and garage are attached by an open breezeway do I have to enclose that to have garage conversion count for living square feet?

Thank you so much...
The short answer to your questions is:

It depends upon your market.

The longer answer is:

A garage conversion connected to the main house via an open breezeway will add nothing to your Gross Living Area (per ANZI standards). It would be considered Finished Space (per ANZI standards) IF it were also heated and finished similar to the rest of the home. The finished area would add value but, again depending upon your market, that added value may not offset the value of losing a two car garage.

As for enclosing the breezeway, how long is the breezeway? Depending upon your market, having a long enclosed hallway leading from the main house to converted garage might actually result in a what is known as a functional obsolescence, which is normally a negative contributor to the value of your home.

I'm not suggesting that you NOT improve your home. I'm only suggesting that you do the conversion if it improves your quality of life and your personally feel it is worth losing your garage for an additional 400 square feet of living space.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:05 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
If you convert the garage, enclose the breezeway. If you have the space, and it looks like you do, build another garage behind the original garage. But only if you are staying for at least ten years. We recently did some home renovations, and I can tell you emphatically, if you look at the numbers, what we did did not make sense. However we do not plan on moving for the next twenty years. Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I would buy your house with a garage. I would not buy your house with a converted garage family room that is not even attached to the house.
This.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
I agree.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:20 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
What she said.

If you plan on living there for a long time, fine. If not, don't do it.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 PM

439 posts, read 958,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
The short answer to your questions is:

It depends upon your market.

The longer answer is:

A garage conversion connected to the main house via an open breezeway will add nothing to your Gross Living Area (per ANZI standards). It would be considered Finished Space (per ANZI standards) IF it were also heated and finished similar to the rest of the home. The finished area would add value but, again depending upon your market, that added value may not offset the value of losing a two car garage.

As for enclosing the breezeway, how long is the breezeway? Depending upon your market, having a long enclosed hallway leading from the main house to converted garage might actually result in a what is known as a functional obsolescence, which is normally a negative contributor to the value of your home.

I'm not suggesting that you NOT improve your home. I'm only suggesting that you do the conversion if it improves your quality of life and your personally feel it is worth losing your garage for an additional 400 square feet of living space.
TexasDillo..actually the distance is about 15 feet door to door for the breezeway. We had considered making that enclosed space into a mud room transitioning from the garage area into the house.
Who's judgement would it be to state the breezeway would be functional obsolescence..just curious, we additional thought about using one side of the garage for a car still gaining 200 square feet on the other finished.

Contractor stated it could be done as our garage is a little over sized, 200 sq st probably doesn't sound like much but it would help us. We have a large long drive that is all natural up to the garage therefore there really is not any loss of parking spots..just one covered.

Because of our home's elevation we would have to pay huge dollars for a new foundation for an addition therefore the garage has the right bones.

In closing maybe this is all for not. Probably least of the evils is to take our licks on selling, money out of pocket might be less. Thank you for your input.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
You can't go by what people say here. We all live in different regions. Carports were popular in North Carolina when I lived there. You need to find out if Virginia considers carports an acceptable alternative to garages. It's possible since your area doesn't have extreme weather.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
I live in VA. Don't do it!! My husband & I have been searching for a one story with a 2 car garage and can't find one!!!! We hate converted garages. The garage is a much better use of the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House